Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got forspoken pre ordered at BB game for store pickup and steelbook for shipping. Anyone know if u can just let the game cancel after a few days and keep the steelbook for $10 or do I have to pick it up and return the game and keep the steelbook to do that

I got forspoken pre ordered at BB game for store pickup and steelbook for shipping. Anyone know if u can just let the game cancel after a few days and keep the steelbook for $10 or do I have to pick it up and return the game and keep the steelbook to do that
they might not ship the steelbook until you pickup the game

Anyone notice Best Buy has overpriced items that give you a discount for being a Total Tech member? For example, the Halloween Ends 4K UHD is $44.99 but you get $18 off with Total Tech...... or you can just buy it for the lower price at Target, Walmart or Amazon.

Anyone notice Best Buy has overpriced items that give you a discount for being a Total Tech member? For example, the Halloween Ends 4K UHD is $44.99 but you get $18 off with Total Tech...... or you can just buy it for the lower price at Target, Walmart or Amazon.
Yeah.... best buy has been trying to scam people lately. I actually wonder the validity if it's legal to create an impromptu required membership to get 'deals' when it's the normal price everywhere else as you stated.

Yeah.... best buy has been trying to scam people lately. I actually wonder the validity if it's legal to create an impromptu required membership to get 'deals' when it's the normal price everywhere else as you stated.
You are questioning whether a retailer can legally set prices at their discretion? Jesus Christ.

You are questioning whether a retailer can legally set prices at their discretion? Jesus Christ.
Way to misunderstand what I said. Charge whatever they want? Sure.

Requiring a PAID membership to get previous ‘sale’ prices? Not legit.

Way to misunderstand what I said. Charge whatever they want? Sure.

Requiring a PAID membership to get previous ‘sale’ prices? Not legit.
So why aren't places like Costco, BJ's, or Sam's Club illegitimate then? They require a paid membership to get the deals. Hell, just to even shop there. Furthermore I think another issue here is that what constitutes a deal or not or whether it's a good price/sale is too subjective. I kind of get where you were going with your point but at the same time I'm not sure this situation is like gasoline price gouging for example where it's a more well-defined thing where it's subject to more oversight and regulation. To go so far as to say that it is illegal, at least in this country seems like grasping for straws a bit.

Doesn't BB price match target, walmart, and amazon?

Forspoken steelbook stuck in limbo lol. “We’ll let you know when it ships” sure u will Best Buy lmao

Edit: about time it shipped

Doesn't BB price match target, walmart, and amazon?
Yeah, I suppose that's one way to get around it. However, since only Best Buy credit card holders will be able to get reward points, unless you have that card, it's faster and easier just to buy elsewhere.

The Woman King 4K is another title they jacked up by $18.

So not sure how this happened but I got Hello Neighbor on Switch for $10. App says it's out of stock and not available for delivery. I went online through the Facebook browser (thanks Cheapy) and apparently it was available for delivery. Not sure why it was available through one browser and not the main app

So not sure how this happened but I got Hello Neighbor on Switch for $10. App says it's out of stock and not available for delivery. I went online through the Facebook browser (thanks Cheapy) and apparently it was available for delivery. Not sure why it was available through one browser and not the main app
Ehh, it's in stock on bestbuy.com and it's been at that price for a like a week now (and in the past multiple times before) so yeah..... not sure what else there is to say.

P.S. - from what I've read, not a great game and suffers from some design issues. It is cheap for a physical game though.

Check your emails.  The email I got today (2/9) had a $5 certificate included.  

Expires 2/26.

Tried to use the $10 gift card I got for preordering Hogwarts Legacy on Star Wars Jedi Survivor but it won't let me because it comes with $10 gift card as a promo.  It says you can't use a gift card to buy a gift card even though it's supposed to be free with purchase of the game.  What a crock.

Tried to use the $10 gift card I got for preordering Hogwarts Legacy on Star Wars Jedi Survivor but it won't let me because it comes with $10 gift card as a promo. It says you can't use a gift card to buy a gift card even though it's supposed to be free with purchase of the game. What a crock.
Been that way for years, nothing new there.

I have 205 rewards points, so 45 points from a cert. When is best buy stoping rewards points? This month right?
I think 2/14 is when the program ends. I think I get 1 point for every $2 spent. I'm 105 points away. I did reviews on 1/2 but I guess never got points so that is over.

So points are only for credit card holders now?  That's really strange since the points basically encourage you to buy more.  Sad that they are basically discouraging you from buying from best buy.  

So points are only for credit card holders now? That's really strange since the points basically encourage you to buy more. Sad that they are basically discouraging you from buying from best buy.
All these incentive clubs that started 10-15 years back were to track purchase for analytics and marketing. Now companies have gotten better at just tracking trends using credit card purchases to tie you to the marketing so they don’t need to spend extra money to do so. Hell, as an anecdote, I will use just my credit card (one of 2 I have) in a store, no other clubs or scans and those purchases show up on my Walmart app now tied to my online account.

That’s why you’re seeing almost every retailer scaling back their incentives. So far Target’s has largely stayed untouched (they did get rid of the 1% to charity part) but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they’re looking at ways to scale that back or phase it out (something like only certain categories of products get 5% off or only their store-owned brands).

They got what they want out of you now, they don’t need to incentivize you to let them track purchases anymore.

All these incentive clubs that started 10-15 years back were to track purchase for analytics and marketing. Now companies have gotten better at just tracking trends using credit card purchases to tie you to the marketing so they don’t need to spend extra money to do so. Hell, as an anecdote, I will use just my credit card (one of 2 I have) in a store, no other clubs or scans and those purchases show up on my Walmart app now tied to my online account.

That’s why you’re seeing almost every retailer scaling back their incentives. So far Target’s has largely stayed untouched (they did get rid of the 1% to charity part) but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if they’re looking at ways to scale that back or phase it out (something like only certain categories of products get 5% off or only their store-owned brands).

They got what they want out of you now, they don’t need to incentivize you to let them track purchases anymore.
I expect Target to shift away from offering incentives to non-Red Card holders. Red Card is easily among the best store cards around. 5% and free shipping online. Why wouldn't you sign up for that?

I expect Target to shift away from offering incentives to non-Red Card holders. Red Card is easily among the best store cards around. 5% and free shipping online. Why wouldn't you sign up for that?
Wrong thread but I doubt they would since circle formerly known as cart wheel gets them a lot of business through the small number of targeted offers they even offer through that. See the most recent 10$ off 30 and variants of that they just did. But ultimately you are right that they could get away with removing it without much fuss. It'd be sweet as hell if the 1% cash back from circle stacked with the 5% off on red card.

So, would it be a better idea to just redeem any remaining points now, or let them automatically redeem once it has changed?  I just remember something back in the day where best buy gave out free money certificates (or something like that) when gamers club was ending, and people couldn't redeem it because it disappeared before it expired.

RIP Best Buy rewards. I used to buy stuff from them because we need more competition for Amazon but now there’s no point unless they are cheaper than Amazon.

RIP Best Buy rewards. I used to buy stuff from them because we need more competition for Amazon but now there’s no point unless they are cheaper than Amazon.
Exactly have been buying less and less from BB after elite plus ended also using my card less now also.

After Elite plus was eliminated, I went from spending 4k+ to $100 a year at Best Buy. Looks like they might be joining Circuit City soon. 

If they had more clearance deals on video games, I would still be visiting their stores regularly. Lately, I haven't found anything in stock at any of my local stores even if there was a deal.

Same with Target. Miss looking for clearance at both stores.

I've seen an interesting pattern lately.

• Amazon plays games with prices such as the MX500 ssd from crucial for $131, then has a $15 off coupon click n save.
  • Meanwhile Best Buy has the ssd priced at $149 'on sale'
  • Amazon drops the coupon and it's now just $131
  • Best Buy matches $131 price yet 'Best Buy members pricing' is now $125
  • Best Buy starts new random lower price at $120
  • Amazon matches within an hour at $120

If they had more clearance deals on video games, I would still be visiting their stores regularly. Lately, I haven't found anything in stock at any of my local stores even if there was a deal.

Same with Target. Miss looking for clearance at both stores.
Are you going by the prices on the website? Games always go on clearance for lower prices in the store for many weeks before they push those discounts to the site.

Are you going by the prices on the website? Games always go on clearance for lower prices in the store for many weeks before they push those discounts to the site.
I do visit a store every month or so but don't really see any bargains at any stores near me for months now. I usually depend on this blog to see if anything pops out worth hunting for.

With the free shipping now, I was hoping too that their online prices match their store prices but I see that any of their bargain games don't seem to be available for shipping and they're very rarely in any of the stores near me unfortunately.

I do visit a store every month or so but don't really see any bargains at any stores near me for months now. I usually depend on this blog to see if anything pops out worth hunting for.

With the free shipping now, I was hoping too that their online prices match their store prices but I see that any of their bargain games don't seem to be available for shipping and they're very rarely in any of the stores near me unfortunately.
The problem is a lot of stores don't really bother to stock (and thus label) their video game shelves (many of them look like a damned wasteland) so it may be tough to even know when things are marked down / on clearance. The website can illuminate certain clearance titles of course (note: in-store pricing on these is often cheaper), however then there are other games which are not on clearance online but are on clearance in stores. Because of the way many of them operate it can be a total crapshoot as to being able to observe or glean what these deals may be.

We're closing on February and the store I go to still has the same games on the PS4 rack left over from early January and still bare and now they're starting to not even put games on the shelf, now they just put a piece of paper with a picture of the cover inside a security box. And this is in a semi-affluent city mind you. The only games I remember them having in stock are the same 3 copies of Civ 6 for almost a year now for $12.99 that nobody wants and a random copy of sayonara wild hearts.

The problem is a lot of stores don't really bother to stock (and thus label) their video game shelves (many of them look like a damned wasteland) so it may be tough to even know when things are marked down / on clearance. The website can illuminate certain clearance titles of course (note: in-store pricing on these is often cheaper), however then there are other games which are not on clearance online but are on clearance in stores. Because of the way many of them operate it can be a total crapshoot as to being able to observe or glean what these deals may be.
Yep, Bestbuy is not making it easy for gamers to buy from them. I've been checking shelf stickers on those rare occasions I do visit a store and when I do see a game for a great price, I head to the cashiers closest to where to where they have their games and have them check their computer whether they have the game instock. 9 times out of 10 they won't but once in a long while, I'll get lucky.

Online, they never have a clearance game at any stores near me and they almost never ever ship or else I would be buying more games from them.

bread's done
Back