Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're closing on February and the store I go to still has the same games on the PS4 rack left over from early January and still bare and now they're starting to not even put games on the shelf, now they just put a piece of paper with a picture of the cover inside a security box. And this is in a semi-affluent city mind you. The only games I remember them having in stock are the same 3 copies of Civ 6 for almost a year now for $12.99 that nobody wants and a random copy of sayonara wild hearts.
If they have movies on the shelf in anti-theft cases, I don't get why they can't do the same for video games. Well, having a piece of paper inside a security box is still better than them hiding all their games behind the counter.

as a heads up I saw both OCtopath Traveler 2 and The new Yakuza game on the shelf already so there is a slim chance you might be able to snatch them up early

Online, they never have a clearance game at any stores near me and they almost never ever ship or else I would be buying more games from them.
I don't see why any retailer would see the need to offer significant discounts (besides the ones that are publisher-driven). Fact is the ones that are still buying new physical games are mostly made up of folks who care enough about ownership that they're willing to pay a "premium" to get those.

Stores/publishers are quickly wising up to that knowledge. It's why we're probably seeing more/more pricey "limited"/"collectors" editions to get those folks to pay more. Wouldn't be surprised if soon some publishers don't even bother with standard editions.

For those who like buying a physical copy (me), everything about the current trajectory of the business is awful. Pretty sure many will get priced out as this whole train keeps going, or just stop caring. I'm in the latter camp. Most of the new games aren't interesting me much, and the way publishers are releasing them (with incomplete/broken games on discs or material DLCs) is making it super easy to not buy anything.

Check your emails. The email I got today (2/9) had a $5 certificate included.

Expires 2/26.
Don’t forget to use this up this week. Some ok sales to apply this to

- returnal 29.99
- demon throttle 19.99
- hades ps5 19.99
- far cry 6 14.99
- jojos all star battle switch 21.99

I don't see why any retailer would see the need to offer significant discounts (besides the ones that are publisher-driven). Fact is the ones that are still buying new physical games are mostly made up of folks who care enough about ownership that they're willing to pay a "premium" to get those.

Stores/publishers are quickly wising up to that knowledge. It's why we're probably seeing more/more pricey "limited"/"collectors" editions to get those folks to pay more. Wouldn't be surprised if soon some publishers don't even bother with standard editions.

For those who like buying a physical copy (me), everything about the current trajectory of the business is awful. Pretty sure many will get priced out as this whole train keeps going, or just stop caring. I'm in the latter camp. Most of the new games aren't interesting me much, and the way publishers are releasing them (with incomplete/broken games on discs or material DLCs) is making it super easy to not buy anything.
I agree with many of your points especially the ones in your last paragraph. Being a long-time buyer of physical games myself, I have always collected games based on the premise of buying only when the price of games have dropped. Sure I never get to play games when they're new and hot but I usually eventually get the game. Like you said and I'm just like you that the majority of games coming out these days we might not care to get but when something goes on sale or clearance by retailers, it gets my attention when normally it wouldn't. I've been buying so few games these days that something really has to get my attention for me to head to a store.

Ugh, I should have checked more often as I missed the sale when BB had Returnal for $18.99. Returnal is not high on my list to get but for that price, I would have gotten it.

If they have movies on the shelf in anti-theft cases, I don't get why they can't do the same for video games. Well, having a piece of paper inside a security box is still better than them hiding all their games behind the counter.
Well movies are less desirable to steal and the security cases don't really curb theft as much as you might think.

Wish BB doesn't shut down but I was there when Circuit City and the Wiz was shutting down and they pretty much put out all their games in piles on tables and in bins. Granted those were different times and BB is not closing a lot of stores and can move their inventory to other stores but they're going to sell so much of their games if they simply had their games out with prices clearly marked especially games they're clearing out.

I just got an email saying I have a $5 bonus certificate. YMMV obviously, but I can't even remember the last time I got something when certificates were being given out.

Email headline "Exclusive reward certificate just for you."

I just got an email saying I have a $5 bonus certificate. YMMV obviously, but I can't even remember the last time I got something when certificates were being given out.

Email headline "Exclusive reward certificate just for you."
I got a mailer with that instead because I blocked them long ago on email spam heh. I interpreted it as "hey, those points you had are now converted and gone so here's the $5 in rewards you had left". I never bothered to check if they had actually converted it because LOL as if I've been shopping there at all.

I got a mailer with that instead because I blocked them long ago on email spam heh. I interpreted it as "hey, those points you had are now converted and gone so here's the $5 in rewards you had left". I never bothered to check if they had actually converted it because LOL as if I've been shopping there at all.
I have $5 in certs that I can redeem, but they didn't do it automatically for me. YMMV

So, does best buy send steelbooks in a box if you order 3? I hope they wouldn't try to put them all in a bubble mailer. I ordered GOT special edition from them way back and the steelbook was damaged due to being shipped in a bubble mailer. I may call them and see if it's too late to request/ make sure it's in a box.

Your best bet to avoid damage is store pickup. It's not foolproof but it works with the highest success rating. 

I've had 3 games sent in a box but I've also had 6+ sent in a bubble mailer so you never know how they intend to pack something.  In my experience ordering a eshop/sony card or micro sd card has arrived in the largest box they could find.  I actually thought it came empty once because the card slid under the inside bottom flap. 

I know this sounds shitty, but can I preorder dead island 2 and just send the game back and keep the steelbook?

Hm dead island 2 steelbook still instock and hella edition still instock. Guessing the demand really isn’t there and could possibly wait for a price drop. Hm..

This is accurate.
Thanks for the responses. I have a series s, so the physical copy doesn't do much for me. Plus, I feel like this will drop in price fairly quick. The reviews do make it look like a pretty good time though. Either way, I think it's worth 10 bucks, so I'll just do that.

Anyone else get a $5 cert email? Because I sure as hell haven't been buying anything from best buy lately.
Yeah I got one too. The last time I shopped at Best Buy was when those two amiibos were five bucks each. Maybe because we rarely shop there they are trying to get our business? Regardless, I'll take it. Most likely using it on a PSN card.

I got a $10 one.

Maybe it's a consolation prize for the $800 repair for damage their washer installation people caused that still hasn't been reimbursed.

Not sure about anyone else, but when I don't receive a $5 cert, I am glad because it means I don't have to go out of my way. The past couple of times I either used it on batteries or candy because I could not find anything else worth buying.

I didn't get the email (and don't usually get any non order related emails from BBY) but I did have a $5 reward certificate sitting in my account that expires 6/24 which I know I didn't earn from spending.

I haven't gotten the email yet, but I don't have the BB CC so they are supposed to cash everyone out and issue certs.  Hopefully that is whats happening.  I'm still sitting at 146 points so either I'll get a $5 cert eventually or they'll give me the middle finger.  If I get the cert, I'll use that towards one of the few games I planned to preorder or I'll preorder something far out so I can later cancel it and they'll reissue the cert with a new expiration date (which I've done before to churn and combine certs).

I have a question for everyone, well anyone who has a definitive concrete answer. I've asked this question to three separate care reps by phone and two separate store managers. Every single person gives me a different answer.

All of us know by now that best buy got rid of their my best buy program, so all points earned are from the best buy credit card itself. So here's the inquiry.

Person A has a best buy account and totaltech.

Person B has a best buy account and best buy credit card.

Person B uses the phone number and/or account of Person A to make a purchase using Person B's best buy credit card, who gets the my best buy points? After asking at least 5 different best buy employees, everyone is split. The two logics of this conundrum are:

Person A's info/account was used so their my best buy account gets the points.

Person B's credit card was used and points are now tied to the card, not the account.

I got my $5 email cert last night. The odd thing is, it expires on 6/24, which is a long ways out compared to other certs in the past. I only have 25 points on my Rewards account.

I got the $5 email today. It didn't show in my account when I signed in, but when I purchased something, it was there under payment options.

I got the $5 cert email yesterday and as someone stated it expires on 6/24. I had 7 rewards points left before getting the cert and now I have zero, lol.

bread's done
Back