Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who buys almost everything Nintendo this is an awesome deal.  They finally got me back.

Now I just have to time placing my orders so it doesnt set off a fraud alert on my credit card account.

what are yall gonna buy? I am in paralysis of analysis phase

thinking Mario RPG and Super Mario Wonder for now
That's my thought as well. Honestly, buying the subscription along with those two games is still less than full price.

I don't see this information anywhere on the Best Buy site though, where are people finding it?

Where is the actual coupon deal listed because it doesn't say anything about the b2g1 in the info on BB+ info pages... nor is it listed as a current offer.

B2G1 is tempting but think I'm better off passing. Typically, there aren't 3 new Nintendo games released within 1 month, all at the same price, that I'm interested in. Comes close here with the Mario games but no interest in Pikmin and Sonic Superstars will drop to $40 in no time.

I'll stick with GameFly used games and waiting for others to hit $40 or less on eBay or elsewhere.

Grabbed Mario wonder, Mario RPG and Pikmin 4. As well as Pikmin 1&2, detective Pikachu, and Tunic. Debating doing one more with advance wars but not sure what else, maybe the sonic game but those tend to drop fast.

Grabbed Mario wonder, Mario RPG and Pikmin 4. As well as Pikmin 1&2, detective Pikachu, and Tunic. Debating doing one more with advance wars but not sure what else, maybe the sonic game but those tend to drop fast.
Just did the same order as you. I still have one voucher available for this year as well, so I'll have to figure out what to do with that, but this saved me $10 on those 3 games and I can easily see another order in the next year as well, so I'm all good.

someone posted this in the eshop thread and mentioned 15% off digital currency. anyone that signed up can confirm if that is for eshop, psn and xbox?

Thanks

I looked through the list... didn't find enough to make it worth it. It's a solid deal though if you want a lot of these games and were planning on preordering. If this had the new DQ Monsters The Dark Prince and Star Ocean Second Story R... I'd probably be down. Considering they may change or remove the deal at any point, I can just wait until there are a lot of games I want and then see if the membership thing is worth it.

B2G1 is only a good deal if you were already going to buy all those things, and pay full price, while they are pre-orders or new releases. 

I just got done doing that with three sets of blu-rays at Target from a couple weeks ago.  Then you go back and look a few days later and at least a few of them are individually roughly 33% cheaper on Amazon.

Dunno about you guys, but I don't buy many $60 games, and when I do I am often getting a special edition.  B2G1 is a pseudo deal, unless you can maximize your savings.  It's like raising the discounted Ubisoft games back to full price and then offering BOGO. 

B2G1 is only a good deal if you were already going to buy all those things, and pay full price, while they are pre-orders or new releases. [/spoiler]
Yep. I usually buy from Gamestop around the holidays, during a B2G1 used. They range from mildly to significantly cheaper than new, and since my membership is good for several more years I don't have to pay a penny more for the service.

It’s a good deal if you specifically want new switch and don’t like pre owned. If you’re ok with pre owned and don’t need day 1, GameStop b2g1 used are probably the route to go. Especially since they commonly stack with rakuten promos

I’m not going to jump on this Best Buy thing.  I can usually get GameStop gift cards for 15% off, many times my grocery store has those Happy gift cards good for GameStop at 20% off.  Combine that with the GameStop monthly coupon and I’m at $44 or $46.75 for new games.  

I’m not going to jump on this Best Buy thing. I can usually get GameStop gift cards for 15% off, many times my grocery store has those Happy gift cards good for GameStop at 20% off. Combine that with the GameStop monthly coupon and I’m at $44 or $46.75 for new games.
i understand what you mean. Compared to the old BB GCU this might not be for everyone. I’m going to join it within the next 2-3 months after I get caught up on some hospital bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People can disagree, but I have a soft spot for Best Buy.  I worked there back in the mid-90's and don't want to see it go away, even though I know it doesn't have much time left in retail world that exists today.  

So, I subscribed and hopefully will get some benefits out of the service.  

People can disagree, but I have a soft spot for Best Buy. I worked there back in the mid-90's and don't want to see it go away, even though I know it doesn't have much time left in retail world that exists today.

I'm with you there. Have been a customer for over 20 years. Lots of nostalgia.

What strikes a nerve though is the purpose and intent to screw over customers by taking away benefits and perks. In the last decade, there's less and less of a reason to shop there. I always paid the $15 a year membership back in the day, then gamers club, then consistently maintainced Elite Plus status with spending $3,500 a year or more. Now they're lucky I spend $500 or so a year there. Amazon and other companies have been pricing things better, plus now best buy stores don't even stock items anymore. They're literally glorified warehouses.

What strikes a nerve though is the purpose and intent to screw over customers by taking away benefits and perks. In the last decade, there's less and less of a reason to shop there. I always paid the $15 a year membership back in the day, then gamers club, then consistently maintainced Elite Plus status with spending $3,500 a year or more. Now they're lucky I spend $500 or so a year there. Amazon and other companies have been pricing things better, plus now best buy stores don't even stock items anymore. They're literally glorified warehouses.
I hear ya! I miss the days of circuit city and best-buy competing. at my store they got a skeleton crew working I don’t know what’s going on with them recently.

People can disagree, but I have a soft spot for Best Buy. I worked there back in the mid-90's and don't want to see it go away, even though I know it doesn't have much time left in retail world that exists today.

I was a big fan of Best Buy during Hubert Joly's reign. Ever since his hand picked successor took over it has been bad move after bad move. I don't ever want more consolidation but Best Buy is such crap now it seems beyond saving and will inevitably wind up like Toys R Us. A failed business that many of us older people will remember fondly for it's glory days and less for it's incompetent management.

Agreed. I used to spend the money to maintain the benefits there, but in the last year it has dropped off by a ton.

Still hope that they will see the benefits of having some good customers, but most stores are driven by VC now and only care about massive profits each quarter.

The problem is target very often excludes big first party nintendo titles, right?
It varies definitelyas some games never work for the sales. They typically are under the exclusions text. But as I mentioned they also typically work at the start of the sale.

I bit on the Best Buy membership since I was going to get Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Wonder at launch and wanted to play Pikmin 4 sooner than later. At worst, I saved $10 on a game.

I already put in two more orders of b2g1 sets and I’m wondering if I should put in another one for the remaining first party games I skipped on earlier this year. It wouldn’t surprise me if this perk disappears but I’m hoping it lasts to maximize it with sales prices later this year.

Definitely agree that the membership isn’t worth it for everyone though. I tend to buy Nintendo games right away, so it made a lot of sense for me but I know there’s gonna be times where I talk myself into a game to make the b2g1 order to work.

I bit on the Best Buy membership since I was going to get Super Mario RPG and Super Mario Wonder at launch and wanted to play Pikmin 4 sooner than later. At worst, I saved $10 on a game.

I already put in two more orders of b2g1 sets and I’m wondering if I should put in another one for the remaining first party games I skipped on earlier this year. It wouldn’t surprise me if this perk disappears but I’m hoping it lasts to maximize it with sales prices later this year.

Definitely agree that the membership isn’t worth it for everyone though. I tend to buy Nintendo games right away, so it made a lot of sense for me but I know there’s gonna be times where I talk myself into a game to make the b2g1 order to work.
Yeah, I ended up subbing just for this perk as well. I put in 3 orders last night, mostly preorders. I tend to buy a lot of Switch games and pretty much everything I grabbed was stuff I planned on getting already anyway so it was worth it for me.

At one point I realized it wasn’t just the games in the list, it worked on basically every switch game I put into my cart (digital and DLC also) which makes me think it’ll be changing, ending, or even getting the selection limited real soon.

SIgned up for the membership to take advantage of the deal. split the cost of it between 2 friends and we all made a few orders. too good for us to pass up when we usually get stuff at release anyway

In the last decade, there's less and less of a reason to shop there.
For me, shopping in store is usually if one of my kids wants some specific part for their pc and doesn't want to wait for it to ship from wherever.

But I am finding more and more reasons over the last few years to give the BB website my money first. The biggest one is that they aren't doing third party resellers like Amazon and Walmart. If I order a game, I'm getting the north american region version. IF I order a micro sd card or something else I know I'm getting the official product and not something that got shoved into the same bin as the official stuff because a third party seller managed to slip it in as the same product. It's nice having an overall trusted source for tech and games online.

For me, shopping in store is usually if one of my kids wants some specific part for their pc and doesn't want to wait for it to ship from wherever.

But I am finding more and more reasons over the last few years to give the BB website my money first. The biggest one is that they aren't doing third party resellers like Amazon and Walmart. If I order a game, I'm getting the north american region version. IF I order a micro sd card or something else I know I'm getting the official product and not something that got shoved into the same bin as the official stuff because a third party seller managed to slip it in as the same product. It's nice having an overall trusted source for tech and games online.
I miss shopping in store with how much they’ve scaled down their sales floor in most stores but yeah having them as the sole seller on their site is a huge draw.

Target at least makes it much more clear and obvious than Walmart and Amazon about a 3rd party seller and they also don’t overlap with their third party sellers as best I can tell, if Target themselves sells it, they don’t seem to allow a 3rd party seller to list it.

Best Buy lacks in some areas but their online presence is pretty top notch.

I miss shopping in store with how much they’ve scaled down their sales floor in most stores but yeah having them as the sole seller on their site is a huge draw.
Agreed. Amazon and Walmart have so many scammers on their site that it's becoming very difficult to ensure you're getting the exact item that you have ordered. I have yet to have a BB order be an incorrect item, so that's something I do like about them as well.

Agreed. Amazon and Walmart have so many scammers on their site that it's becoming very difficult to ensure you're getting the exact item that you have ordered. I have yet to have a BB order be an incorrect item, so that's something I do like about them as well.
I wish amazon would stop sharing inventory with 3rd party vendors.

Well you've been more fortunate than I. Ordered nier auto and they instead sent me 3 copies of the outer worlds. Went to return them and get the game I actually bought and they were out of print and stock at the time and just refunded my card. Not even a gift card for my troubles or a thank you since the 3 copies of outer worlds were obviously worth 3x-6x the price of nier automata.

Next time I'll be a bad person and just sell or trade in the wrong games instead.

Then there was the crushed copy of soul hackers 2 they sent me.

That is correct. Very little from the Switch catalog, especially first party, are included in the Target B2G1. Thinking back, I can't personally recall anytime I got a First Party Switch title during a B2G1.
That's normally true for the most part, though I did get Metroid Dread for $40 during one of them and I seemed to recall there being many other first-party titles having been included during that one. At least for the first 24 hours or so before they adjusted it, which frankly was surprisingly a lot longer than I thought. Definitely more of an exception though.

B2G1 is only a good deal if you were already going to buy all those things, and pay full price, while they are pre-orders or new releases.

I just got done doing that with three sets of blu-rays at Target from a couple weeks ago. Then you go back and look a few days later and at least a few of them are individually roughly 33% cheaper on Amazon.

Dunno about you guys, but I don't buy many $60 games, and when I do I am often getting a special edition. B2G1 is a pseudo deal, unless you can maximize your savings. It's like raising the discounted Ubisoft games back to full price and then offering BOGO.
This B2G1 promo from Best Buy seems like a solid deal if you are someone who wants to pick up games to play at launch, and assuming that there isn't some kind of shenanigans later and something goes wrong (after they took your membership fee of course) when it comes time to make good on and fulfill those first-party pre-orders (I wouldn't put it past them). That's just not me though. Too many games these days and not enough time. It's not like the old days where there was a handful of big publishers that put out most or all of the games. The rise of indie gaming and smaller studios and publishers changed all that and we never have any shortage of choices. So much so that everyone and their mother seems to have a backlog of games these days, a concept that didn't really exist years ago. Consequently, for me I don't feel that there is an impetus or sense of urgency to pick up games on day 1 or become an early adopter, and it's also become rather rare for me to pre-order anything. And even though I am a long time Nintendo enthusiast and a Switch owner that has picked up many of the first-party titles, this Best Buy promo just isn't for me. Personally, I'd rather just wait for a deal on the games to come along that doesn't involve a $50 membership fee.

I hear ya! I miss the days of circuit city and best-buy competing. at my store they got a skeleton crew working I don’t know what’s going on with them recently.

Not just your store. That's like every location I've been to in the last few years. Best Buy has been going downhill in more recent times, due in no small part to poor decisions & changes and inept management, and it only seems to be snowballing. Speaking of Circuit City, a big part of the story with them was how they took away earning commission for their salespeople and we saw what the effect of that was -- it alienated their workforce, no one cared anymore, and the end result was the business declining and eventually going under. And mind you this was in an era before online shopping became what it is today.

Considering the membership, but that $50 eats up a good chunk of the savings. Not sure if I'll buy more than 9 games in the next year, and a lot of Switch titles hit $40 a year after release.

Dammit, BB got me.  As part of their 4th sale they had $100 Disney GCs $10 off for members.  We have a Disney timeshare and I use discounted GCs to pay the annual dues each year.  We also just got back from a trip and I used all the GCs I had to pay for food.  Bought the max of 3 today, will get more tomorrow and that discount will pay for the membership.  
Guess I will be buying my games at BB.

I'm seeing some other games, like Hogwarts Legacy, for $20 off via the new program as well.  So, there are other deals out there to be had with the subscription.  

I'm seeing some other games, like Hogwarts Legacy, for $20 off via the new program as well. So, there are other deals out there to be had with the subscription.
the switch version also comes with a $10 gift card and works with the buy2 get 1 free, though seems a bit risky as far as the quality of the game release and the chance that maybe they never release it at all.

re; BOGO

CAG-1.jpg

Case in point.  and it didn't require a $50 subscription.

...and they're also not US versions. I get it if you're someone that doesn't care about region, but your'e not really comparing apples to apples. 

I'm thankful my switch doesn't care about region either

Especially when they pull the digital only shit on the US constantly (looking at you Baten Kaitos)

I already screwed up my flawless uniform spine font with an accidental PAL version but I guess it will happen eventually when I pick up some game that uses an actual logo for their spine

I'm thankful my switch doesn't care about region either

Especially when they pull the digital only shit on the US constantly (looking at you Baten Kaitos)

I already screwed up my flawless uniform spine font with an accidental PAL version but I guess it will happen eventually when I pick up some game that uses an actual logo for their spine
not that it applies to those 2 games, but your switch does care if your dlc is not the same region as your game.

re; BOGO

CAG-1.jpg

Case in point. and it didn't require a $50 subscription.
While I'm a PlayAsia buyer, I would also add that you don't exactly know for certain whether a game supports English UNTIL it comes out. PlayAsia is known for putting up pre-orders for regions and languages BEFORE they know whether they're actually supported.

re; BOGO

CAG-1.jpg

Case in point. and it didn't require a $50 subscription.
As much as I have my doubts about Best Buy and their programs, this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Imported versions are frequently offered cheaper here than their native counterparts. They are also worth less and a harder sell if you should decide to sell them at some point. And despite the fact that the Switch is region free, regional issues with DLC have been known to arise with certain titles. Some people may not care whether something is an imported version but I do -- if nothing else for the sake of maintaining consistency in my library. The only exception I might potentially make is if a title is not available physically in my native region but was released elsewhere.

Yup dlc is not region free. I have run into that problem numerous times especially in the case of digimon cyber sluts which I imported but cannot use the preorded dlc. They didn't release it physically on the vita back when it first came out.

bread's done
Back