Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a copy of Dead Cells Castlevania/Super Meat Boy and Shantae Pirate Curse PS5 for the prices  posted here, the Customer Rep even offered to make 1 of the games free since it wasn't applying I assume since they are ringing up for clearance 

Xbox Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD 6.49 

Picked up 

Windjammers 2 :switch: - $14.99

- Super Meat Boy Forever :switch: - $14.99

Valkyrie Elysium :ps4: - $16.99

Had shelf tags for a few others noted here. I am going to attempt to stop at a different BestBuy today after work if at all possible. 

sword and fairy 20.99, nuclear blaze with keychain 12.99. tchia oliet 14.99, zombies ate 14.99. got shantae pirates curse 15 as well. all were last copy except shantae had 2 more

Picked up a copy of Dead Cells Castlevania/Super Meat Boy and Shantae Pirate Curse PS5 for the prices posted here, the Customer Rep even offered to make 1 of the games free since it wasn't applying I assume since they are ringing up for clearance

Xbox Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD 6.49
Why would they give you a free game? There is no current B2G1 going on and the My BBY Plus deal is B2G1 free on Switch games (of which you only had 2 since Shantae was for PS5).

And yeah, in store clearance games are excluded from the B2G1 free on Switch games.

I just dropped by to say that the nearest BB store wasn’t closed for good. It was temporarily closed for remodeling. They’re open from 10a-6p with limited services. So no in-store shopping until that’s done.

Picked up Embr and Windjammers. No luck on Meatboy or Deadcells, sadface. Saw Balan Wonderworld on Switch for $8.49 but left it. Such a terrible, terrible game. Big disappointment when I popped in the PS5 version. Left behind Tales of Arise on PS4 since I want it for PS5. 

Wait, you guys know you can do in-store orders to ship to store or your home right? The clearance prices will ring up.

Just tell the employee at the registerv"I want to order ____ but you guys don't have any here. Can you order it for me?"

They will then find the game and add it on the POS.

You can do this for ANY game available for shipping online. So no need to walk away more empty handed because Dead Cells, Meat Boy, etc are not at that particular store.

Why would they give you a free game? There is no current B2G1 going on and the My BBY Plus deal is B2G1 free on Switch games (of which you only had 2 since Shantae was for PS5).

And yeah, in store clearance games are excluded from the B2G1 free on Switch games.
Worker said it was included with the membership I wasn't going to stop him

Forgot to post these from my trip the other day:

:switch: Shantae and the Seven Sirens [Digital] + Plush - $20.99 (reg $49.99)

GabW4mk.jpg

:switch: Super Meat Boy Forever [Digital] + Plush - $18.99 (reg $44.99)

prZzzrC.jpg

Struck out at my second Bestbuy attempt (Oxford Valley, PA) the gaming section there was SPARSE, and you could tell has been heavily downsized. Honestly to the point where if they phased it out completely I wouldn't be surprised. 

They did have copies of Windjammers 2 and Super Meat Boy - Switch, but I now already have them

Wait, you guys know you can do in-store orders to ship to store or your home right? The clearance prices will ring up.

Just tell the employee at the registerv"I want to order ____ but you guys don't have any here. Can you order it for me?"

They will then find the game and add it on the POS.

You can do this for ANY game available for shipping online. So no need to walk away more empty handed because Dead Cells, Meat Boy, etc are not at that particular store.
Can confirm this. Just did this for 2 copies of Dead Cells on Switch for $18.99 for store pickup!

Can confirm this. Just did this for 2 copies of Dead Cells on Switch for $18.99 for store pickup!
Did you order online where it's at $44.99? I went to a couple Best Buys yesterday where the online store said it could be available for pickup in an hour but neither had any on the floor (I checked online after I went, stupidly lol). Can I order online even though it says $44.99 and it will be the clearance price when picking it up or will I need to just go to the store and talk to a customer service person to get the clearance price?

Did you order online where it's at $44.99? I went to a couple Best Buys yesterday where the online store said it could be available for pickup in an hour but neither had any on the floor (I checked online after I went, stupidly lol). Can I order online even though it says $44.99 and it will be the clearance price when picking it up or will I need to just go to the store and talk to a customer service person to get the clearance price?
No I ordered them in person at the store. You can just ask the person ringing you out to order the games you want as long as they are in stock online and you show them the SKU.

Also, sometimes they keep games off the floor in the back of by store pickup. You should've asked if they had them and someone could've found you a copy if they actually had them.

You have to go to the register in store and tell the person to order it for you for shipping.

This is the most interesting Best Buy has been in like three years.
Aaand that's part of the reason why they are dying. I wonder what it'll look like in another three years and whether they will have already or will be closing stores by then. The ship is definitely sinking with GameStop and I really thought they were going to go first but they are taking their sweet time to descend into the abyss, so I have to wonder if Best Buy is actually going to beat them to it.

"For whom the bell tolls..... time marches on....."

I remember way back when I used to be able to show them a sku and they order the item for me which aren’t available at any stores but isn’t sold out either. I wonder if they’re still able to do that or u have to just get lucky and get a competent employee who can do it

I wonder what it'll look like in another three years and whether they will have already or will be closing stores by then. The ship is definitely sinking with GameStop and I really thought they were going to go first but they are taking their sweet time to descend into the abyss, so I have to wonder if Best Buy is actually going to beat them to it.
GS was a bit oversaturated in areas and managed to dial back without disappearing. BB I think has shoppers that maybe don't include gamers as much anymore but still hits the common person. Like my parents could have gone somewhere local for their recent tv replacement ... but instead they made a day of it and drove an hour to BB for the specific brand they wanted and to have a sales person help them. I've also stopped there with my kids for computer parts... when they wanted something and BB was the quickest way to get it at pretty much the same price (sometimes better, sometimes worse... but then they would price match) than online. For electronics, there's really not a lot of options outside of the internet. So they kind of have a solid niche for those not satisfied with what Walmart or Target have.

So I think BB shifting away from media on the shelves is probably a very smart move for the business. Especially as more and more people move to digital and streaming and the physicals are better sold online than store to store. But then they still kind of act as a warehouse for the content to make deliveries pretty quick.

GS is pretty much the only game store in most areas... and they pivoted to other stuff to help bring in the casual shoppers and collectors that maybe want some gaming themed t-shirts or figurine. For most average folks, it's also the simplest way (and often only way) to trade games in. So there's some convenience factor. With their downsizing and eliminating extra stores in some areas... I think maybe they will still be around in three years. Maybe at that point they will pivot to have a few arcade style cabinets or host in person game competitions or be pushing trading card games and hosting games... or who knows. But they have areas to pivot.

Gs could also do reprints for anything that they can work a deal out on. If they are transparent about it that would also generate some good will.

Maybe at that point they will pivot to have a few arcade style cabinets or host in person game competitions or be pushing trading card games and hosting games... or who knows. But they have areas to pivot.
Pretty sure they already tried some stuff like that and it didn't work out. They've tried a bunch of things that were abject failures. Like their NFT marketplace for instance. Anyway with they way they are operating I see their demise as inevitable and just a matter of time.

Turns out the trick was to wait a few more days for them to put out Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania from the back or wherever the hell they were hiding, along with the sale tag which wasn't there before, just walked in and grabbed it off the shelf.  It's been hanging out in the back during the sale for several days.

It's amusing how many Best Buy employees hang around at the front and ready to pounce on you to ask if they can direct you to merchandise.

No, no you can't, lol

GS was a bit oversaturated in areas and managed to dial back without disappearing. BB I think has shoppers that maybe don't include gamers as much anymore but still hits the common person. Like my parents could have gone somewhere local for their recent tv replacement ... but instead they made a day of it and drove an hour to BB for the specific brand they wanted and to have a sales person help them. I've also stopped there with my kids for computer parts... when they wanted something and BB was the quickest way to get it at pretty much the same price (sometimes better, sometimes worse... but then they would price match) than online. For electronics, there's really not a lot of options outside of the internet. So they kind of have a solid niche for those not satisfied with what Walmart or Target have.
This actually touches on the main reason big box stores will be dying in the future, as boomers die off so does demand for 'floor help' in decision-making. I can't explain why parents refuse to do research or rely on their kids to tell them 'what's good', almost as if they've been brainwashed into believing they can't reason for themselves without a salesman or trust the advice of online reviews. Some of it is being technologically impaired but it's really not an excuse when most of us know to pick up our phone and find answers.

More importantly, I can't imagine hamstringing myself in the future by not evolving with the times whenever tech actually innovates for the better.

eh I can sorta get it as even my generation didn't really grow up around computers and such as most families couldn't afford it. But also you didn't really need it. Vs now most bills are done online so you can't really go without one. Same for cell phones. Though its far more interesting that most of the current generations don't have dining rooms supposedly. I would have said house phones, alarm clocks, calculators and radios since most of those have been replaced by cell phones. 

Bro Best Buy really got rid of the PSN/eshop discount cards and the B2G1 free Switch games offer for My Best Buy members. That was the only reason many of us subscribed to it. Wth

Well, this is pretty much what I was expecting with that B2G1 deal.   I'm sure many are glad they got in for it... I'm glad I put it off.  In the end, I'll probably get a better overall deal.. or an equivalent deal with no memberships to any store.

Let's wait a bit before calling it. All we know for sure is that it's not active or advertised right now.
Agreed, let's give it some time in case it's just a mistake. If it's not though..... it would be exactly why I consistently voiced staunch skepticism of the membership program in this thread when it was being discussed before. In my opinion Best Buy simply cannot be trusted to not abruptly pull the rug out from under you at some point (after they already got your money of course).

edit: Was shopping at a store the other day and a sales associate, noticing that I was buying a couple of Switch games, tried to sell me on the membership program. I politely declined. As a customer it would make me quite irate if I got the membership and then they suddenly suspended the benefit that was my reason for getting it, especially so if I had just signed up.

^ There's some truth there. That's why I am skeptical of these kinds of membership programs to begin with. And then you put a company with Best Buy's more recent track record on top of it and it exacerbates it.

Agreed, let's give it some time in case it's just a mistake. If it's not though..... it would be exactly why I consistently voiced staunch skepticism of the membership program in this thread when it was being discussed before. In my opinion Best Buy simply cannot be trusted to not abruptly pull the rug out from under you at some point.
I joined the membership, but I also put in whatever preorders I could as soon as I could because I absolutely was not under any misconceptions they would continue this indefinitely.

I saved on anything I wanted so I’m not upset at spending the money on the membership, but I’ll certainly cancel it in 9 months when my subscription is up just so some executive at corporate can pikachu face at the abysmal renewal rates next year. Then for them to scrap the whole program a year or two from now. Best Buy is second only to GameStop in terms of building abysmal customer loyalty.

^ There's some truth there. That's why I am skeptical of these kinds of membership programs to begin with. And then you put a company with Best Buy's more recent track record on top of it and it exacerbates it.
Bingo, I’m annoyed enough at the “everything has to be a loyalty/membership now (so we can track your purchases/spending)” thing going on with retail as it is. Asking me to pay for that privilege on top of everything else? Nah, unless you’re immediately giving me benefits exceeding the membership right off the bat, I’m not interested in the slightest.

I think Target’s the only one at this point that hasn’t pulled the “hey pay us more money to be a ‘member’” but Circle and it’s “save this saving before we give it to you” is annoying enough as it is.

I joined the membership, but I also put in whatever preorders I could as soon as I could because I absolutely was not under any misconceptions they would continue this indefinitely.

I saved on anything I wanted so I’m not upset at spending the money on the membership, but I’ll certainly cancel it in 9 months when my subscription is up just so some executive at corporate can pikachu face at the abysmal renewal rates next year. Then for them to scrap the whole program a year or two from now. Best Buy is second only to GameStop in terms of building abysmal customer loyalty.
That last line is spot on lol. If you didn't get all your games already though there's an old saying about not counting your chickens before they hatch. Let's see if they make good on everyone's pre-orders that they put in. I want to see how it goes with stuff like Super Mario Bros Wonder and Super Mario RPG for example.

I'm pretty pleased with what I got out of it like you. My total savings for the period it lasted is $380. Didn't buy anything I wasn't already going to. Most of the titles I ordered were 1st party titles that won't have much change in price for a long time. Got plenty of 15% off gift cards too!

Bro Best Buy really got rid of the PSN/eshop discount cards and the B2G1 free Switch games offer for My Best Buy members. That was the only reason many of us subscribed to it. Wth
I guess you could call it the bait and Nintendo Switch.

I'll throw myself out.

I have 3 paid memberships and manage to get value from them all.  Costco for me is a no brainer.  Do majority of grocery shopping for a family of 4.  And their return policy is top notch.  Didn’t have to take advantage of it until the last week.  My Dyson vacuum crapped out after a year and a half.  Costco took it back no problem.  That was almost $400.  

Gamestop I will see how things go next renewal (may). I really like the employees at my local store.  Of course if they close or get rid of the people there then I will definitely not renew.  

Best Buy I managed to make my money back within a week of getting the membership.  I mostly got it for a Disney GC discount (they had them 10% for a week).  We have a Disney timeshare and I can pay for annual dues using GCs.  I also have a CC that give 5% back at electronic stores. Right now Best Buy has an offer for members that give you a $50 rewards certificate if you spend $500 in October.  I’ll see their Black Friday sale at the end of the month, but if not I plan on buying $500 in Disney gift cards and getting my $50 reward.  I saw the Switch game B2g1 as a bonus on top.  I didn’t buy any eshop cards since I wait for Costco to have them 20% off.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's related to Amazon's upcoming Prime Day.
That's not a valid reason to me. The fact that competitors are going to have sales is not new news and should have been taken into account before the program was started. As soon as Mario Wonder ships, I'll cancel, take the prorated refund, and forget they exist.

I got my value out of it but I do wish I put in another order three $50 games and an order for three $60 games. Just had trouble talking myself into a third game for both of them.

After SMRPG ships, I’ll go ahead and cancel it to get back whatever I can.

That's not a valid reason to me. The fact that competitors are going to have sales is not new news and should have been taken into account before the program was started. As soon as Mario Wonder ships, I'll cancel, take the prorated refund, and forget they exist.
Hate to break it you, but you may not get any refund.

Per the terms : After the first 60 days, you will be entitled to receive a prorated refund based on the number of days remaining in the billing year beyond the cancellation date and minus the value of any membership discounts, services or benefits already provided during the then-current term.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-membership/update-membership-type/pcmcat1680888225000.c

So if you got a free game, that benefit of $60 gets deducted. Since it costs 49.99 for the membership, you get nothing.

Hate to break it you, but you may not get any refund.

Per the terms : After the first 60 days, you will be entitled to receive a prorated refund based on the number of days remaining in the billing year beyond the cancellation date and minus the value of any membership discounts, services or benefits already provided during the then-current term.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-membership/update-membership-type/pcmcat1680888225000.c

So if you got a free game, that benefit of $60 gets deducted. Since it costs 49.99 for the membership, you get nothing.
That would certainly ensure they never see another cent from me. I got two B2G1s in, but when you add the $50 back, I could have gotten a better deal elsewhere if they cut it off.

bread's done
Back