Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty pleased with what I got out of it like you. My total savings for the period it lasted is $380. Didn't buy anything I wasn't already going to. Most of the titles I ordered were 1st party titles that won't have much change in price for a long time. Got plenty of 15% off gift cards too!
Somewhat true on first party titles not going on sale and usually hovering around 35$-40$ range. But we're all regulars here I'd assume so we know that they did occasionally get in target gamestop Amazon sales buy x get y. Or occasionally gamefly sales if you don't mind like new and want to play it closer to launch for 40 or so. Though we can also make our own discounts via circle coupons and the like as well.

I guess you could call it the bait and Nintendo Switch.

I'll throw myself out.
980b68c7eb43088c45abd8308074958676bd2413.gif

I have 3 paid memberships and manage to get value from them all. Costco for me is a no brainer. Do majority of grocery shopping for a family of 4. And their return policy is top notch. Didn’t have to take advantage of it until the last week. My Dyson vacuum crapped out after a year and a half. Costco took it back no problem. That was almost $400.
I mean, I know Costco's return policy is great, but that would have fallen in the time frame of Dyson's warranty anyway, and they actually do repair or replace parts in that period. They replaced something in my vacuum twice in the warranty period, and they carried parts for it almost 15 years later (I happened to need a part last night and found out they're out of stock, unsure if they'll stock it). But it's a $20 part that they carried for almost 15 years.

Well that’s a bummer glad I got my free $70 game after my two $15 games. One more thing to remember to cancel, as you can’t cancel and retain the membership, they want you to forget and get hit with auto renew.

Disabling auto renew should be possible as not having that is probably illegal. Unless that only applies to canceling a sub. Though a way around that possibly is to give a card that expires before the renewal sub charge or use a prepaid card.

I mean, I know Costco's return policy is great, but that would have fallen in the time frame of Dyson's warranty anyway, and they actually do repair or replace parts in that period. They replaced something in my vacuum twice in the warranty period, and they carried parts for it almost 15 years later (I happened to need a part last night and found out they're out of stock, unsure if they'll stock it). But it's a $20 part that they carried for almost 15 years.
Part was out of stock and no service canters near me. If you look at Dyson comments lately a lot of parts that are within warranty are not getting replaced because they’ve been out of stock for months. I’m not about to wait to maybe get it fixed in 6 months or so.

Disabling auto renew should be possible as not having that is probably illegal. Unless that only applies to canceling a sub. Though a way around that possibly is to give a card that expires before the renewal sub charge or use a prepaid card.
yea it’s odd they revoke your membership entirely it seems for turning off auto renew, it warned me and said instead I could get a reminder 30 days before, just one of those things I should have used pre paid for indeed!

yea it’s odd they revoke your membership entirely it seems for turning off auto renew, it warned me and said instead I could get a reminder 30 days before, just one of those things I should have used pre paid for indeed!
Yeah, they’re heavily leaning into the “oops forgot to cancel” it seems. That’s some absolute horseshit, I went ahead and set calendar and to-do reminder for 30 days out, I don’t trust them at all to send a reminder about my membership expiring.

I absolutely can’t stand tricking people into spending money or being your customer. When you’re falling closer to scammers on the spectrum than legitimate business, you’ve lost.

Hopefully everyone that did do a bunch of preorders on the membership get their games before the membership expires since you need to have an active membership at the time the game ships for the deal to stick.  So be prepared if something is delayed to either lose it when cancelling or getting swapped to full price for whatever is unfulfilled.

We have a Dyson center relatively local and when one of the brush attachments was really worn down, we went looking for a replacement there. Lady came back out with a brand new one and said, "here you go." We haven't bought any other brand since for cleaners.

All this talk of $400 vacuums ... I've had no issues with the $40 to $50 Bissell bagless vacuum sold at walmart.  I've had other similarly cheap bissells over the decades and the only problem is after maybe 8 years the belt gets weak and only once has one ever broke on me.  And it's a common belt that's super easy to replace.   I'm pretty happy with the cheap route.   I do have a steam mop with washable pads for the wood & tile in my home for when I want to really deep clean.

All this talk of $400 vacuums ... I've had no issues with the $40 to $50 Bissell bagless vacuum sold at walmart. I've had other similarly cheap bissells over the decades and the only problem is after maybe 8 years the belt gets weak and only once has one ever broke on me. And it's a common belt that's super easy to replace. I'm pretty happy with the cheap route. I do have a steam mop with washable pads for the wood & tile in my home for when I want to really deep clean.
I had a $25 bagless Bissell I bought at Walmart about 11 years ago that served me well in the one bedroom, pet free apartment I was in at the time. Once I moved into my house, the lack of suction but mostly the short cord was enough for me to look elsewhere, and I ended up with a Dyson ball (though at a nice discount). The movement ability, suction, and cord length made a big difference, but I mainly use it in the basement/game room because it's the only level in the house with full carpet. For anything else vacuum wise, the Roomba s9+ I have can and does handle it.

However, I did get a Dyson cordless hand vac, and that thing is great. Not just for the cars and staircases (I have a carpet runner on one), but for cleaning up after the cats in general; on the furniture, the stairs (again), the room the cats eat/have their litter boxes in and the small area rugs around the furniture. I use this vac every other day, and swear by it. I also got it on sale, but it'd be well worth full price to me.

And that's the state of deal at Best Buy when we're having in-depth discussion about vacuums.

After having cordless Dyson for a few years now, I'd never go back.
Mine was great when I had hard wood floors. With mostly carpet though, I went back to corded. That, and the replacement battery I got for it sucks. It sometimes doesn't charge, so it will run from anywhere between 3 minutes and 20 minutes.

I have a $5 rewards certificate that appeared in my Best Buy account.  Expires 10/31.  Don’t know if it’s a bonus for October membership month or what.  Did not get an email about it.  account just calls it a promotional certificate.

Once I moved into my house, the lack of suction but mostly the short cord
It might be mine has some upgrades that one didn't have. The cord length never bothered me. The only times I had issues with suction was due to the foam filter needing cleaned and/or build up in the tube (typically after cleaning carpet and that first vacuuming). Usually once or twice a year I just disconnect the hose completely, remove the brush roller, and dismantle the container and clean everything. The foam filter I just use dish soap on with a little hot water to rinse it out many times until the water is clear. I let everything air dry (after taking the hose outside for a good bit of whirling around).

I have a $5 rewards certificate that appeared in my Best Buy account. Expires 10/31. Don’t know if it’s a bonus for October membership month or what. Did not get an email about it. account just calls it a promotional certificate.
I checked mine... nothing. That's interesting though as they said going forward you'd need the BB CC to earn points for certs... though maybe they have a new targeted thing going on like they used to randomly do. But even those, usually you had to find the banner hidden in the email newsletter to click. You didn't cancel any old preorders that had a cert applied? They do reissue them on cancelled orders.

I checked mine... nothing. That's interesting though as they said going forward you'd need the BB CC to earn points for certs... though maybe they have a new targeted thing going on like they used to randomly do. But even those, usually you had to find the banner hidden in the email newsletter to click. You didn't cancel any old preorders that had a cert applied? They do reissue them on cancelled orders.
No canceled orders. If you cancel orders that have a cert applied, they return it immediately. I canceled something in July (which is after the rewards for non CC users ended), I got the points back and got a cert, but it was called a ‘$15 rewards certificate.’ Certificates for their targeted spend offers get labeled ‘$15 for spending $150 for my Best Buy plus members’ or whatever specific offer it was. This is a ‘$5 promotional certificate’ and listed as not costing any points and it was not there yesterday since I go to check daily deals every day.

I have a $5 rewards certificate that appeared in my Best Buy account. Expires 10/31. Don’t know if it’s a bonus for October membership month or what. Did not get an email about it. account just calls it a promotional certificate.
Oh, I have one, too (and I just have their free account). They always give these to me after I've made a bunch of pre-orders. Well, maybe I'll find something to use it on before the end of the month. And yeah, I never got an email about it.

Oh, I have one, too (and I just have their free account). They always give these to me after I've made a bunch of pre-orders. Well, maybe I'll find something to use it on before the end of the month. And yeah, I never got an email about it.
Hmm... that gives me some slight reason to check again tomorrow because it seems like I'm always a day later than others when promos roll out. Even when they were issuing the final certs for points for us my last cert was after most here had already gotten theirs.

I wonder what I'd even use it on if I get one? DQ Monsters probably.

I have used Dyson and Shark vacuums for 15 years now and would never go back to cheaper brands. Take a cheaper brand and vacuum your carpet. Then take a Dyson or Shark and go over the same carpet again right away. It will pull more out of the carpet that the cheaper brand left behind.

I have used Dyson and Shark vacuums for 15 years now and would never go back to cheaper brands. Take a cheaper brand and vacuum your carpet. Then take a Dyson or Shark and go over the same carpet again right away. It will pull more out of the carpet that the cheaper brand left behind.
Dyson pet vac the stick one you hang on the wall is a crock...

Hmm... that gives me some slight reason to check again tomorrow because it seems like I'm always a day later than others when promos roll out. Even when they were issuing the final certs for points for us my last cert was after most here had already gotten theirs.

I wonder what I'd even use it on if I get one? DQ Monsters probably.
Ok figured it out. It’s a $5 for my birthday month. Got a physical mailer with it saying it’s $5 for my birthday.

I don’t understand retail. If I were a seller, I would lower the price $1/week until it sold out. Why suddenly drop games by 50%?
I think it's because they want to free up precious, limited storage space to make room for something else. When they need it, they need it like NOW.

Don't feel so bad, last I checked it was already OOS at $38.
Yeah, last week it dropped to that (noticed the thread on the switch game deals reddit... and it was gone pretty quick. I never saw it drop to $19... though maybe this is in reference to the PS4 version.

Diofield sold out while I had it in my cart.

Just want a copy for less than $20. Was hoping to get it on Black Friday, but looks like I'll have to find a used copy.

Congratulations,

Gamer's Club Unlocked

Elite Plus

Totel Tech

Total Tech Premium

My Best Buy Plus or something members!  Can we get a customer satisfaction poll how you feel about your membership now, two months later?  :bouncy:

bread's done
Back