Best Buy YMMV Thread

mikeshinobi

CAGiversary!
Can we have a thread where we share deals we find at our local Best Buys? Of course they're always YMMV but it would give us ideas of what to look out for.

I have two local best buys and each of them had different deals:

Best Buy #1:

• Dragon Quest Builders 2 (NSW): $15.99
Best Buy #2:

• Disgaea 4 (NSW): $15.99
  • Dead Cells (NSW): $10.99
  • Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS): $12.99 (didn't get this, very sad)
  • Some other 3DS title I was extremely sad I missed out on (3DS): $10.99
There were some others but these were the ones that stood out the most that I can remember.

Also for anyone who doesn't know, if your Best Buy has a price placard out for a game but they're sold out, you can ask an employee to order it for you from their website and they will match their in-store price! Of course they have to have stock on the website though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to pick up the two copies I ordered of Dead Cells and found Call of the Night: Complete Collection on Blu-ray for $15. It had just come out earlier this month and retails for $50.

It didn't look like it was a clearance item or anything. Just $14.99 no sale or anything. Might have been a goof?

TONS of clearance

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1710161858613629104?t=bNLl5sj9LNseTg62pUDhiQ&s=19
Ahhh the good ole kiss of death by Wario 64. And of course it happened while I was sleeping. Oh well, I didn't really need to spend anymore right now anyway lol.

Dang Mega man battle network switch was $19? Sold out now.
In reality, most likely not. It had already sold out previously at the $38 price point. It's not unusual to see defunct product listings that have sold out or been discontinued for ages yet for some inane reason Best Buy drops the price on said 'phantom' product.

?!$&!?&@$

Seriously, what a joke this program has become in just 3 short months. Like yeah, you’re gonna save money but cutting benefits Best Buy, but do you really expect anyone paying half attention to keep their membership going when it’s up for renewal. Not only that, but if they roll out another subscription the negative goodwill they’ve built is gonna make that a hard sell.

Like I’ve said, I made my money back on the buy2get1 already, so I’m not terribly upset but way to absolutely bungle the one positively-praised new program you’ve had in the 10 years since Gamers Club. Astounding they burned it to the ground in less than 4 months.

I didn’t trust them on this one, and I’m sure I’m not alone, so there’s absolutely no way they’re gonna be able to coast on this or another program as “trust us, we’ll make it worth your while”

Them and GameStop, speed-running the total gutting of their paid loyalty programs…

I think people must have misread the BB Plus details.  No where in the actual sign up did it guarantee b2g1 free was a feature of the program.   I remember even having to ask here where that deal even was as it wasn't just something easy to find on the website and was not in any of the signup stuff (as I was considering it).  And the details on the offer builder page for the b2g1 never guaranteed it would be around indefinitely.   I imagine it'll come back or another deal would surface.  But the changing landscape of what's on "sale" or what promotion is going on is part of what I don't like chasing with these companies and what this appeared to be from the start.  Considering we are approaching the holiday shopping season, they will have you guys something else before too long.  And early next year when things get quiet, they'll do something else.

But here's all they promise:

• Exclusive member prices on thousands of items.
    Enjoy member-only prices on select products.
  • Priority access to sales and much more.
    Exclusive access to sales, events and highly anticipated products.
  • Free 2-day shipping.
    No minimum purchase required.¹
  • Extended return and exchange window.
    Enjoy an extended 60-day return and exchange window on most products.²

<p>

I think people must have misread the BB Plus details. No where in the actual sign up did it guarantee b2g1 free was a feature of the program. I remember even having to ask here where that deal even was as it wasn't just something easy to find on the website and was not in any of the signup stuff (as I was considering it). And the details on the offer builder page for the b2g1 never guaranteed it would be around indefinitely. I imagine it'll come back or another deal would surface. But the changing landscape of what's on "sale" or what promotion is going on is part of what I don't like chasing with these companies and what this appeared to be from the start. Considering we are approaching the holiday shopping season, they will have you guys something else before too long. And early next year when things get quiet, they'll do something else.

• Free 2-day shipping.
Right, they didn’t guarantee it as part of the program specifically because they could plan on pulling this. They gave some vague “exclusive sales and deals” language then waved a bunch of stuff to get people to sign up. Are they gonna bring it back? Maybe, but they could easily communicate that if it was the case. And if they aren’t bringing it back, it was clearly only in pace to entice subscribers and then hope they just stay subscribed.

Hell, I’ve gotten 3 promotional emails from them today alone, not one mentions putting anything on hold while they’re running other deals. They consciously knew they were effectively baiting and switching, now if they’re not gonna honor the already entered orders with buy2get1, then it’s gonna be a real issue.

As for right now though, for $50 a year, it’s not unreasonable to expect some clear communication about the subscription and program.

As for right now though, for $50 a year, it’s not unreasonable to expect some clear communication about the subscription and program.
This is part of what got me at the start... the generic details on the program and lack of communication. It had me scratching my head where everyone was even seeing that b2g1 offer.

The only fine print y'all have to worry about on those b2g1 deals is that you have to be a member when the games ship and if your membership has lapsed they make things back to full price even if the remaining game in the bundle was supposed to be free (or some similar BS).

<p>

I think people must have misread the BB Plus details. No where in the actual sign up did it guarantee b2g1 free was a feature of the program. I remember even having to ask here where that deal even was as it wasn't just something easy to find on the website and was not in any of the signup stuff (as I was considering it). And the details on the offer builder page for the b2g1 never guaranteed it would be around indefinitely. I imagine it'll come back or another deal would surface. But the changing landscape of what's on "sale" or what promotion is going on is part of what I don't like chasing with these companies and what this appeared to be from the start. Considering we are approaching the holiday shopping season, they will have you guys something else before too long. And early next year when things get quiet, they'll do something else.

• Free 2-day shipping.
Right, they didn’t guarantee it as part of the program specifically because they could plan on pulling this. They gave some vague “exclusive sales and deals” language then waved a bunch of stuff to get people to sign up. Are they gonna bring it back? Maybe, but they could easily communicate that if it was the case. And if they aren’t bringing it back, it was clearly only in pace to entice subscribers and then hope they just stay subscribed. The ol’ “subscribe and forget” model.

Hell, I’ve gotten 3 promotional emails from them today alone, not one mentions putting anything on hold while they’re running other deals. They consciously knew they were effectively baiting and switching, now if they’re not gonna honor the already entered orders with buy2get1, then it’s gonna be a real issue.

Makes me appreciate amazon and target among others all the more for offering buy x get y or card discounts without paid memberships.

I think people must have misread the BB Plus details. No where in the actual sign up did it guarantee b2g1 free was a feature of the program. I remember even having to ask here where that deal even was as it wasn't just something easy to find on the website and was not in any of the signup stuff (as I was considering it).
Beyond what's in the printed terms & conditions it also certainly matters what they or any appointed representative of the company is either telling you or pitching to you. It's all the more reason then that store associates shouldn't be actively pushing or promoting it as a specific membership perk (if it can vanish at any moment) as has happened to me before and including as recently as a week or two ago during a trip there. That's inherently dishonest, and had I bit on the associate's sales pitch and signed up for the membership I would feel screwed right now and pretty damn jaded about it and like I was blatantly misled.

I just don’t think Best Buy expected as many small time resellers to jump on this.  There’s one guy on the gamesale Reddit that obviously was doing this (and I’m sure there were plenty more out there). He used to say he could as many new games as needed, but after BB pulled the plug he *only* had 15 copies of Detective Pikachu today.  

Add in a few glitches that got abused because it was promoted via the internet (DK Tropic freeze, Mario party and any price third game for $60) and finance could probably easily see this benefit was costing them too much.

I just don’t think Best Buy expected as many small time resellers to jump on this. There’s one guy on the gamesale Reddit that obviously was doing this (and I’m sure there were plenty more out there). He used to say he could as many new games as needed, but after BB pulled the plug he *only* had 15 copies of Detective Pikachu today.

Add in a few glitches that got abused because it was promoted via the internet (DK Tropic freeze, Mario party and any price third game for $60) and finance could probably easily see this benefit was costing them too much.
I mean back firing gamers club unlocked they tracked and banned anything over 3 purchases of a single game so they had to know, and also could have been tracking again.

I don't care what the details of the program say.  I'm not paying to shop at Best Buy. 

I already pay to shop there with all of their 'paid exclusives' which I have to purchase and pre-order early at full price.  Well before any reviews or unboxings are available.  My MCU 4K steelbooks are $38 now; that is called paying a premium. 

Didn't realize BB canceled the program. Glad I got 9 different Switch games out of it, but I was hoping to preorder next year's Switch releases as well before the membership is up. Won't be renewing now.

Went into the store that I picked up Dead Cells & Windjammers 2 from to see if there was anything new.  Nothing, but I did see that their switch section got moved and cut in half.  Appears that Xbox and PS sections are smaller as well.  Even cut in half the shelves were still kind of bare.  

My guess is after the holidays the B2G1 will return as an occasional deal. Leaving it on for weeks on end just encourages scalpers and small game shops to use Best Buy as their supplier. The longer return window lets them return whatever doesn't sell and BB is stuck clearing out that stock themselves.

Did anyone buy the Fortnite: Minty Legends physical copy for PS5?
Just picked up my copy today in-store today and drove home… I know there’s not supposed to be a disc inside, but there was no code either! Was factory sealed, not tampered with at all, and absolutely nothing in the box.
Gotta drive back to BB tomorrow and walk up to the return counter and look like a scammer now…

So apparently Best Buy doesn't price match GameStop anymore. It seems they recently removed some companies from the qualifying list and GameStop was one of them. I tried in-store as well via chat a couple of times but no dice. Man, they just keeping taking more and more things away and it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and will serve to drive them away. What a joke. They should be called Worst Buy.

I'm pretty sure Gamestop was never on the competitors list. I've price matched gamestop several times in the past and it's always taken a manager and they have had to select "other" and type in gamestop. It's possible that was just something with my store and they just couldn't find them in the system though.

I'm pretty sure Gamestop was never on the competitors list. I've price matched gamestop several times in the past and it's always taken a manager and they have had to select "other" and type in gamestop. It's possible that was just something with my store and they just couldn't find them in the system though.
As far as I can recall it used to be an option for them in their POS system when checking out. Either way I've done it a bunch of times and as recently as some months ago but never had such a problem until now.

To me, the removal of GS as a competitor signals an exit from carrying games on shelves. Best Buy is quickly on their way to being the next HH Greg where they're simply big box and avoiding the failure of Fry's. The mistake is understanding foot traffic is generated from people like us just picking up media on sale and being enticed by big purchases. Granted, marketing doesn't work on me so I'm not a good target but the general masses are (until we're fully digital).

I'm pretty sure Gamestop was never on the competitors list.
I think you are correct. They've never been on the list. They don't consider GS a competitor. Which considering the variety of items BB carries... I can see the logic. I'm just glad BB price matches instock shipped & sold by items that Amazon and Walmart has. It's the benefit of shopping online but getting the item in person and being done. I've used that a few times without any issue... though sometimes BB was the better deal with no need to price match.

To me, the removal of GS as a competitor signals an exit from carrying games on shelves. Best Buy is quickly on their way to being the next HH Greg where they're simply big box and avoiding the failure of Fry's. The mistake is understanding foot traffic is generated from people like us just picking up media on sale and being enticed by big purchases. Granted, marketing doesn't work on me so I'm not a good target but the general masses are (until we're fully digital).
What foot traffic?

If this is a sign,it's basically to say they likely will just stop carrying physical games and move everything online
Here’s a fun one to add to the conversation. And I do regret not taking a picture yesterday while in store.

I visited a BB store yesterday to buy a PS5 game. The website said I can order for in store pick up so I know there’s at least one copy in stock. I go to the media department and out of 100 slots for PS5 games, only about 20 had games in the racks. Perplexed, I went to find an employee and no one was on shift in computers, media, or TVs at 6pm on a Tuesday. Ended up finding a mobile rep who paged someone. They go check warehouse and sure enough the game is ‘in the back’ and STILL in a plastic coffin.

I asked what gives and they said they don’t really stock the shelves for games anymore! They keep them in the back room and you just have to order online to get them or check ahead for stock. They’re intentionally driving away walk in/ window shopping traffic.

Here’s a fun one to add to the conversation. And I do regret not taking a picture yesterday while in store.

I visited a BB store yesterday to buy a PS5 game. The website said I can order for in store pick up so I know there’s at least one copy in stock. I go to the media department and out of 100 slots for PS5 games, only about 20 had games in the racks. Perplexed, I went to find an employee and no one was on shift in computers, media, or TVs at 6pm on a Tuesday. Ended up finding a mobile rep who paged someone. They go check warehouse and sure enough the game is ‘in the back’ and STILL in a plastic coffin.

I asked what gives and they said they don’t really stock the shelves for games anymore! They keep them in the back room and you just have to order online to get them or check ahead for stock. They’re intentionally driving away walk in/ window shopping traffic.
All of that is a pretty standard experience that is sadly par for the course in more recent times. And yes, at the risk of sounding a bit tin foil hatty, it does beg the question of whether it's being done on purpose.

Either they have no one in your store who cares enough to stock the shelves or they are just sick of putting games out only for them to get stolen.

I have been able to successfully order some games not available at my local Best Buy locations through the POS but have encountered some push back as well. I was denied twice by cashiers that they could not order the games in question & that the price was exactly the same as the website. Last night, I wound up driving to the other local Best Buy in my area up the road and basically had no issue ordering the games I wanted. 

Ordered Quake (PS5) & Tchia (PS4) for $14.99 each with Free Shipping. 

Whomever the ceo of Best Buy is, I have to give them credit. I don't think I've seen a company sabotage itself in such a short order of time, so effectively.

Whomever the ceo of Best Buy is, I have to give them credit. I don't think I've seen a company sabotage itself in such a short order of time, so effectively.
That would be Corrie Barry. I absolutely disapprove of the blatant misogyny that gets directed at her by some, however the decisions that are being made and resulting decline of the company under her watch speak for themselves. She just seems like your typical corporate executive scumbag.

At that point Best Buy will be officially dead to me.
I got an email either today or yesterday encouraging me to “set up a consultation” and there was this passing thought were I was thinking perhaps they’re going to dive headfirst into just being a glorified appliance store.

If this report is true, then that certainly seems to confirm confirm they’re just going to be a hardware-only retailer. I mean, I guess you have to pivot but with Disney expressing a renewed interest in physical media rather than streaming-only services, I have to wonder what the issue is with continuing what they’ve had going?

Sure, reduce to footprint of physical media on the floor and fully embrace that you’ve given up on browsing foot traffic but to cut physical media out even from your online portion? That’s just bizarre.

It’s like we’re seeing the opposite of the Circuit City downfall play out. Basically, about a year or two before Circuit City went under they made a big initiative they were going to drop appliance sales. Almost overnight they got rid of all appliance in their stores and that was it. It wasn’t the only reason they went under but it was considered a major contributing factor.

I’ll admit, I haven’t been in a Best Buy store in months so I might be part of the problem, but on the other hand with how much they’ve scaled down their sales floors in almost every one of their locations, what’s the point? It basically feels like it’s become a self-fulfilling prophecy. “No one’s shopping in our stores, we should cut the floor pattern” “why isn’t anyone visiting our stores?!?”

Man, so this will be the last BF with Blu-ray/4K deals from them.  I think they are underestimating the hype cheap disks still kind of drives.  I know I’m waiting for BF to pick up some movies I want in my collection because I hate how they move around streaming services.  

Unfortunately this will drive prices up because many time amazon just price matches others.  

Meme-stock companies can do no wrong!
Memes or not, GameStop is back to circling the drain.

It’s like these companies learn nothing from Costco beyond “hey we should charge a membership”

No, dimwits, Costco is successful because they have cultivated a deep brand loyalty. Samples, $5 roast chickens, $1.50 hot dog and soda are all things that lose them money but are building up a MASSIVE brand loyalty.

Memes or not, GameStop is back to circling the drain.

It’s like these companies learn nothing from Costco beyond “hey we should charge a membership”

No, dimwits, Costco is successful because they have cultivated a deep brand loyalty. Samples, $5 roast chickens, $1.50 hot dog and soda are all things that lose them money but are building up a MASSIVE brand loyalty.
Paying the employees well also helps. They pay time and a half on Sunday. Most places don’t do that. Happier employees does make a better experience for customers.

Paying the employees well also helps. They pay time and a half on Sunday. Most places don’t do that. Happier employees does make a better experience for customers.
Yeah pay people a living wage and you'll actually have people fight over working Sundays. My previous job used to have separate Sunday pay and I never worked a single Sunday till they removed it as no one wanted to give up that extra money. Especially the overnight people who get paid that Sunday pay plus overnight pay. I remember one of the guys in deli saying Sundays he was making 27.50 an hour or something like that. And that was 10 years ago.

Can I use Best Buy Reward certificates/credit card points on other stores gift cards and like ps/switch/Xbox digital currency? I read the exclusions and it only states that I can’t buy Best Buy gift cards with it

That would be Corrie Barry. I absolutely disapprove of the blatant misogyny that gets directed at her by some, however the decisions that are being made and resulting decline of the company under her watch speak for themselves. She just seems like your typical corporate executive scumbag.
Then don't turn it into a woman's Apple store filled with Sears products.

Is hypocrisy required to virtue signal, or is it just a bonus?
Hardly. Your attempt to create some sort of false equivalency or narrative is misguided. I could riposte by asking whether hubris is required to be retarded or whether that's just a bonus? The point I was making was that if people are going to criticize or throw shade at someone like her it should be because of the terrible job she is doing or the poor and/or scummy decisions she is making on behalf of the company, and not just simply because she's a woman. That's all.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1712538697307140477
Assuming this report turns out to be true:

In a bit of an ironic twist of fate, they have been the only nationwide retailer to carry a selection of Limited Run Games titles.

bread's done
Back