Best Buy's Gamer Club Unlocked will still exist -- but it will cost you

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
Hey all: 

So, went to my local best buy to pick up MARIO TENNIS: ACES which looks like crazy fun four player after a night out. 

ANY WHO. 

I was talking to the sales person about video games, etc. I was like, "Bummer you guys scrapped GCU." 

He then said it won't really be scraped; that it is now rolled into Geek Squad Total support. That cost $199 and it is only for one year. 

That is good news for me! But only way to make it worthwhile is to split it with one of my friends. I def buy way more than 5 video games a year. 

Unless this is some future addition to their new plan, the guy either lied to you or has no idea what they're talking about. I can't find anywhere on that Total Tech Support page that mentions a 20% discount on games, nor do I find one in the terms of service. The only other thing I can think of is that its a secret part of the plan, so if someone wants to be a guinea pig and spend $200 on a crappy tech support plan just to see if they'll save some money on games, please go ahead. 

Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense seeing how that's still a service, not for products.

Maybe the person you were talking to got confused with you referencing the game protection, and then spoke on that being rolled into Geek Squad tech support, because that would actually make more sense to me if they went that way.

I find this difficult to swallow, but if true, it's just as well. My Elite Plus and GCU (if it's not shut down before) will expire at roughly the new year. Le sigh. Twas a good run while it lasted. Back to Amazon for my game purchases and the Bing searches which (eventually) reward my patience with gift cards for the former.

Unless this is some future addition to their new plan, the guy either lied to you or has no idea what they're talking about. I can't find anywhere on that Total Tech Support page that mentions a 20% discount on games, nor do I find one in the terms of service. The only other thing I can think of is that its a secret part of the plan, so if someone wants to be a guinea pig and spend $200 on a crappy tech support plan just to see if they'll save some money on games, please go ahead.
I don't believe he lied to me; he is someone I see often at my regular BB. He may be incorrect, but he seemed very knowledgeable about how it would all work. He described it as something that would fall under the umbrella w/ Geek Squad Total Tech support. Perhaps that news will come out later, idk.

I'm ok w/ the $200 price tag, but only as long as I can split it with a close friend. Sure, the price hike is insane, but the value still exists for someone like me, even if it's at $100 a year.

bread's done
Back