Best Course of Action For Dealing With Unfulfilled Best Buy Preorder?

WatTsu

CAGiversary!
Not sure if this is the place for this thread. If it isn't please feel free to lock/move/whatever.

I preordered Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy from Best Buy after reading about the game and how much fun people were having with it. Traded in a couple games to pay for most of it and paid the rest in cash. So all was well, I thought. I'd be able to walk in, get the game on Tuesday (July 3rd) when it came out, and walk back out. Of course, it couldn't be as easy as that.

I go in on the 3rd to pick it up and they call over the gaming representative. He tells me that the store didn't get their shipment in and to check back on Tuesday. I was pretty annoyed but figured that this is not the end of the world. I wrote Best Buy a polite yet terse email as well.

So I go back in today and the same guy (who has really been awesome about all of this, my irritation is not in any way directed at him) tells me that the game still hasn't come in, he has no idea when it will, and no other stores in the area have it to be shipped here yet. He's been trying to fight with corporate to get a copy (with the preorder bonus) shipped to the store but as of yet it has been to no avail.

So I decide to use Twitter to try to get BB corporate's attention. It hadn't worked until I tweeted at their Twelpforce, who had one of their customer service reps tweet with me. This is what he said:

"@Brendan_BestBuy These things can happen in retail, but we try to avoid it as much as possible. I hope the store gets more copies soon."

So basically their response to my problem was "Oh well! Shit happens." And I never got a response to my other email.

TL;DR version is basically that I gave Best Buy money to get a product and they have not delivered that product. I would just demand a refund but all I'd get back are gift cards since I did a trade-in, so I couldn't just go rebuy the game somewhere else.

What is my best course of action, CAGers?

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you paid for the pre-order in full. As far as I know, Best Buy only ever allowed you to put down $5 and that was it. Something about their system not letting you pay in full or something.

As far as what you can do, it's probably going to take a lot of work and phone calls to corporate to get a gift card or something. Since it's on a store level maybe getting a hold of a district manager or something would help. E-mail and Twitter will probably be least effective.

Its been 2 days. Chill. Unless your preorder said "release day delivery", I don't think that they are in the wrong. I've preordered many things from Amazon and Best Buy that either sell out and I have to wait for it to come back in stock. Your store didn't get it in stock on release day but Im sure when they do, you will be the first person that they call.

When all else fails, call their CS and talk to a human being. Best Buy customer service is actually pretty good at fixing things for you.

Check and see if there are any in-stock at any other Best Buy locations around your state. If there are any copies, talk to your location's manager and ask them to have one transferred to your store.

If no other Best Buy's have it in stock, then that confirms what the employees have been saying. You'll just have to wait until they get one in. It's not like they didn't order it for you, it just hasn't been delivered to them yet.

Sounds like you've been writing alot of emails the past few days. The only viable option I can see is, well, wait. These things happen, I think it's safe to assume that they plan on carrying the game and I don't really think your "terse" emails will expedite the delivery process. Outside of that, you can do as Kerig suggested and keep tabs on other local BBs to see if their copies have come in, and if so, try and have one transferred to your store.

Of course, if I'm missing the real point and we're talking about dealing with the problem in the context of "how can I get a gift card to compensate for my personal suffering?", may I suggest the unorthodox approach (at least on this site) of "letting it slide?"

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you paid for the pre-order in full. As far as I know, Best Buy only ever allowed you to put down $5 and that was it. Something about their system not letting you pay in full or something.
Yeah I always thought this was the case as well, I know that they never let me add more to my preorders than the initial $5 I put down for a few games the week or so beforehand.

bread's done
Back