Best Current Gen Console?

TheBiz

CAGiversary!
I think this is the best place to post this, I hope.

So I'm finally looking to get a new system. But I want some honest opinions on which one is the best. I've done a fair amount of research and it seems to boil down to:

Wii - Innovative controls, good 1st party support, good for platforming games, good for parties and local multiplayer, lack of games for mature gamers, poor graphics in comparison, durable, cheapest.

Xbox 360 - Great library of shooters, great exclusives, good 1st and 3rd party support, excellent graphics, best online multiplayer, multiplayer costs money, poorly designed hardware, breaks often and easily, cheaper.

PS3 - Great exclusives, some good shooters fewer than 360, blu-ray, excellent graphics, free online multiplayer, durable, comes with battery recharger, highest price.

Did I get it all? Which one is your favorite and why? And how often does the 360 actually break? Is it still worth getting a 360? Can the Wii be enjoyable without other people? Anything I missed? I still have no idea what to get though I'm leaning toward 360 or PS3.

I think this is the best place to post this, I hope.
signature_deepthakur.jpg
:)

This thread could get messy, but for what it's worth, I own a PS3 so I can have one single console for games and movies. Plus, I love Sony first party titles like Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, and most third party games come out for it too. Good luck with your purchase - you should be able to get an awesome deal somewhere this fall no matter which console you go with.

[quote name='Maklershed']Flame bait. But I'll feed the fire:

PS3
PSP
DS
Wii[/QUOTE]

Seconded, though I think I'd decrease the dots between the PS3 and PSP to two. :whistle2:k

If you're going by exclusives, it's PS3, DS, Wii, PSP and 360. If you're going for overall games, then it's PS3, 360, DS, PSP and Wii. The 360 just doesn't differentiate itself in my opinion as almost all of its games are multiplatform while at least Sony and Nintendo make their own games.

For a first console, definitely don't go with the Wii. It's a great secondary console, but either the 360 or PS3 is the better choice for your first console this gen. To decide between the 2, you should look at the exclusives and decide which you like better.
Here's most of the best ones for each console:

360:
Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts
Beautiful Katamari
Braid
Crackdown
Dead Rising
Fable 2
Forza 2
Gears of War 1 & 2
Halo 3
Left 4 Dead
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Ninja Gaiden 2
PGR 3 & 4
Tales of Vesperia
Viva Pinata

Future Releases:
Alan Wake
Halo ODST
Left 4 Dead 2
Project Natal

PS3:
Folklore
Heavenly Sword
inFAMOUS
Killzone 2
LittleBigPlanet
Metal Gear Solid 4
MLB Series
Motorstorm Series
Pixeljunk Series
Ratchet & Clank Future
Resistance 1 & 2
Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Valkyria Chronicles
Warhawk

Future Releases:
God of War 3
Heavy Rain
MAG
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 2

I'd personally recommend the 360 if you are interested in online play at all. (and if you don't have any handhelds, the DS is a great counterpart to the 360)

Last edited by a moderator:
I own all five I would say between PS3 and 360 its down to which exclusives you like the best. The Wii is great if you have non gamers at your place or kids(or you can't live without Nintendo first party titles). PSP and DS is a tough one I have about the same amount of games for each system(slight edge to PSP for more multimedia capabilities).

I have all.

The first next-gen home console that I bought was the 360. Between PSN and XBL, XBL has a lot more players per game, and is "matured" implementation of the system, but it isn't free (then again, most would say that the price is worth it, including me). What sold me to the 360 was actually Mass Effect, being a sucker for anything-goes Bioware (still am too).

Got a DS a few years before the 360 (which I sold to pay for textbooks). I've been a sucker for Nintendo Hand-helds ever since I got my first gameboy when I was... 8? Anyways, the DS lite that I bought served me well for numerous years, and it had a lot more games that I wanted to play for it than the PSP back then.

Got my PS3 about a year ago. It was basically down to a mid-ranged blu ray player or a 60gb PS3, and that really made it a non-contest. It's a good system to own, especially now. Killzone 2 is a gorgoues game (but the controls is a big let-down), and I played Infamous to death with it. For most singleplayer games, the PS3 is my choice for any multi-platform games, most of the time. The free PSN isn't as robust as XBL network, but you don't have to pay for it, and it's improving over time.

One note about the PSN, it allows you to gameshare most downloadable content between you and 4 other machines, so you could "share" your downloaded games and DLC with 4 other siblings or friends. There is a forum on the PS3 section that explains this better than this footnote, so go check it out.

The PSP is the last system I payed for. For a multimedia machine, it's pretty alright. I watch a lot of downloadable shows whenever I hit the treadmill, and it's a nice impromptu internet device when I can't be bothered to whip out my laptop for a quick email check. The games are alright, but I haven't really found a system-defining game for it, aside for some ps1 ports that I downloaded from the PSN. Currently I'm addicted to Castlevania SOFTN, and Syphon Filter games for it, but nothing to write home about.

My fiancee owns the WII, and for what it is, it does have a handful of awesome games that I play for time to time. Like the PSN, the online multiplayer component of the system is free, but there isn't really a lot of games out there that is able to implement the system without some game-breaking "quirks" (I'm looking at you, Brawl). One of the thing that the Wii has going for it is the Nintendo exclusives, like the Zelda or Mario games, so if you're a big fan, this might be higher in your priority list. I'm a big fan of RE4 for this system, with the enhanced wii controls.

What I could say is that, for each system, list out the games that you're thinking about playing for them, exclusives and non exclusives. Whatever has the longer list, might be the system for you.

My favorite overall is the PS3, because it's the best value, in my opinion. For $400, you kill two birds with one stone: current-gen gaming and Blu-ray. I get more gaming out of my 360, though.

You guys forgot the PS2! It's still a great console. Come onnn.

PS3
PS2
DS
PSP
XBox360
Wii

My roommates and I have all of these between the 3 of us that game.. the PS3 gets the most play now.. but it's because we stopped paying for XBL. I seriously think Xbox spanks PS3 in the online play.. everything else, the PS3 reigns supreme. Being a cheapy however, PS3 online play is better because it's free.

My favorite system is the PS3. Best exclusives, reliable hardware, Blu-ray. The 360 is fine though. The Wii also has a lot of fun exclusives. Your best bet would be to buy them all, but if you could only get one for the time being, I'd say get the one that has the most exclusives that interest you.

I will say the biggest truth any of you will ever hear

360. It's for poor people.

[quote name='mis0']You guys forgot the PS2! It's still a great console. Come onnn.[/QUOTE]
No one forgot it. It's not a CURRENT GEN CONSOLE.

[quote name='naes']My favorite system is the PS3. Best exclusives, reliable hardware, Blu-ray. The 360 is fine though. The Wii also has a lot of fun exclusives. Your best bet would be to buy them all, but if you could only get one for the time being, I'd say get the one that has the most exclusives that interest you.[/QUOTE]

This. At times I play my ps3 non stop, and never touch the 360. At times I play them both some. I prefer the ps3 controller over the 360 one. Only thing I like better about the 360 controller is for fps games. Everything else I rather use the ps3 controller. I like the hardware better on the ps3 more because it hasn't died 4 times on me like the 360. I like playing on psn over xbox live for two really big reasons. First off all psn is free. Second when I played on live people acted racist/retarded/hateful on there headsets for no reason at all. I rarely ever get that on psn. That is why psn is better. 360 does do one thing better than ps3 I have to admit. There is a lot of games on ps3 not up to par with the 360 version. That is one thing I don't like about the PS3 although it isn't the PS3 it is the people that makes the games. There is another thing I forgot to mention I like better about 360. XBLA is way better to me than what they put out on PSN. All those old school games, and fighters when PSN has Flow, and games like that I'm not interested in. Don't get me wrong there is some good psn stuff that I bought,but overall I like the xbla material better.

There is a couple of things I hate about both,but I still think both has enough exclusives worth buying the systems for.

Far as my taste.

PS3
Xbox360

There really is no right or wrong answer for the 360, and PS3. Some people enjoy PS3 more, and some enjoy 360 more. It really comes down to the games you play, and what you want to get out of it.

And at the very bottom end of the line is the Wii..... That no one plays. I own one, and it just sits there. Once in a while there is actually a game released I have to try out,but overall it isn't worth owning.

Ugh, I hate these threads. There is no "best" current gen console.

If you're more serious about playing games (especially online), I'd go with a 360.

If you want a more well-rounded multimedia machine, I'd go with the PS3.

Both have their pros and cons, that's why you have to make a decision based on personal preference.

And the Wii isn't that great. I had one and sold it, and am now keeping my eye open for another one that is too cheap to pass up (

Since you're likely aware of what games are already available for each respective system, it may be beneficial if you look at future exclusive releases for Sony and Microsoft. And this list is strictly games that have been confirmed, and not based on speculation. And if you have a high-end PC, then a large number of games on the 360 list can be had on your computer.

Sony -- Majority are 1st Party and have 0 chance of going to the 360
1) Uncharted 2
2) Gran Turismo 5
3) Ratchet and Clank
4) God of War III
5) The Last Guardian
6) Heavy Rain
7) Fat Princess
8) MAG
9) White Knight Chronicles
10) Demon's Soul
11) ModNation Racer (Mario Kart + Little Big Planet = Win)
12) Final Fantasy XIII Versus (Square-Enix)
13) Final Fantasy XIV Online ((Also PC), but all likelihood, very good chance of being timed exclusive only since the 360 already has FFXI Online.)
14) DC Universe & The Agency Online MMOs
15) The Agent (Rockstar's upcoming PS3 exclusive)
16) PSEye + Wand

Microsoft (I don't know too much, so let me know if I missed any)
1) Halo ODST
2) Halo: Reach
3) Alan Wake (Also PC)
4) Splinter Cell: Conviction (Also PC)
5) Mass Effect 2 (Also PC)
6) Forza 3
7) Left 4 Dead 2 (Also PC)
8) Crackdown 2
9) Project Natal

Conclusion: Since E3 just ended, we have a fairly good idea of what Sony and Microsoft have planned until at least Spring 2010. Since you buy a system for its exclusives, I believe the PS3 is a better value with more titles that span a greater variety of genres. That is, of course, unless you're absolutely "ga-ga" over 1st person shooters. I doubt that MS will ever relinquish the title of "FPS Console of Choice."

[quote name='Ecofreak']Since you're likely aware of what games are already available for each respective system, it may be beneficial if you look at future exclusive releases for that Sony and Microsoft are really pushing. And this list is strictly games that have been confirmed, and not based on speculation.

Sony -- Majority are 1st Party and have 0 chance of going to the 360
Uncharted 2
Gran Turismo 5
Ratchet and Clank
God of War III
Heavy Rain
Fat Princess
MAG
White Knight Chronicles
Demon's Soul
ModNation Racer (Mario Kart + Little Big Planet = Win)
Final Fantasy XIII Versus (Square-Enix)
Final Fantasy XIV (Also on PC, but all likelihood, very good chance of being timed exclusive only)
The Agent (Rockstar's upcoming PS3 exclusive)
PSEye + Wand

Microsoft (I don't know too much, so let me know if I missed any)
Halo ODST
Halo: Reach
Alan Wake
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Mass Effect 2
Project Natal[/QUOTE]

Project Natal isn't a game. Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Mass Effect 2 are PC bound. I'd put the new Forza in there though.

[quote name='Paco']Project Natal isn't a game. Alan Wake, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Mass Effect 2 are PC bound. I'd put the new Forza in there though.[/QUOTE]

I added Forza 3, and noted which games were also PC bound. Final Fantasy XIV in the PS3 section also has that annotation.

And Project Natal is included along with the PSEye + Wand because both companies are going to put significant resources into these future technologies. What games will actually come out of it has yet to be seen, but there will certainly be games.

Flip a coin. Seriously, the consoles this gen are way too varied to make a clear call.

The Wii is the best selling console but great games are few and far between, especially for the mature audience. The Xbox 360 has the most varied range of games but it's also the most unreliable console. The PS3 has some decent exclusives but is damn expensive.

We have all 3 in our household and I would say the order is like this.
1. PS3 - it's FINALLY starting to get more and more quality games and has great exclusives. It's expensive but it can do so many things. Blu-Ray movies look fantastic. It's great having a machine which can play a variety of different types of video files. The built in wi-fi and cheap HD upgrades ($60 for a 320GB HD) are much more reasonable than getting those features on the 360 ($100 for the wi-fi, $130 for the 120GB HD I think). I just like the PS3 more because it hasn't given me hardware issues and I actually make uses of it's non-gaming features when I don't play games on it.
2. 360 - as already mentioned, it's has a lot of hardware issues when compared to the other consoles. Ours has had to go to MS twice now and still freezes every now and then. It's library of games are unmatched but it's slowly weaning, especially since so many 360 games end up on the PC. And before people go around saying a gaming PC costs $5000, I can play pretty much everything maxed out on my 3 year old $800 PC with a new $70 graphics card. Granted that's way more than a 360 but a PC can do way more than the 360 can.
3. Wii - let's just put it this way, in the past year, I have only played 3 games on it (No More Heroes, Smash Bros, and MadWorld). It's has a decent number worthwhile games but not as well rounded as the PS3 or 360. There's just too much casual crap on the system and Nintendo hasn't bothered to put out any real games for awhile...

I like the PS3 better due to the controller; Its the best all around controller that's good for any games. People prefer the 360 controller for FPS, which I feel its better for FPS games. But the PS3 controller is at is base nothing more than an old school nes controller and I like that. I like the multimedia capabilities as well. Most of which are matched on the 360. Overall the PS3 is the more powerful system, and its starting to show. I like the fact that wifi is included. PS3 also has the free online which has been awesome. I just played about 2 hours of Blaz blue online via PSN.. for free whereas everyone else that bought the same game on the 360 are playing the same game but for a fee. The software on the PS3 is good as well. I don't think that you're really 'missing out' on anything by buying a PS3.

I was always a Sony fan and played PC games. I think PS2, PS3, and PSP are the best consoles. However I used to play Xbox 360 alot with one of my freinds and it aint a bad console either. I use to own a Wii and a DS Lite and that didn't turn out to well.

If a game comes out on 360 it most of the time comes out on PC. I play a lot of Team Fortress 2 on Steam.

[quote name='whoknows']There may be no "best" current console, but there is a worst. That being the Wii.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

So true.
imo

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'd say it's basically down to a 360/PS3 for me now. I personally like to play a lot of FPS, action, and sports games so that's why it's been a hard decision because the Xbox 360 does have more choices when it comes to exclusive FPS's. But I am still concerned about the durability of the system and I do own a gaming PC (and a PSP) so I guess that's also a factor given how many of the 360 games do end up getting ported to the PC. While the PS3 is starting to get/has a lot of great exclusives too MGS4, Killzone 2, InFamous. I'll keep thinking about it.

[quote name='TheBiz']I just want to say thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'd say it's basically down to a 360/PS3 for me now. I personally like to play a lot of FPS, action, and sports games so that's why it's been a hard decision because the Xbox 360 does have more choices when it comes to exclusive FPS's. But I am still concerned about the durability of the system and I do own a gaming PC (and a PSP) so I guess that's also a factor given how many of the 360 games do end up getting ported to the PC. While the PS3 is starting to get/has a lot of great exclusives too MGS4, Killzone 2, InFamous. I'll keep thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

Then get a PS3. You just said you have a gaming PC so that nullifies the point of getting a 360 in all honesty. Though the ease of setting things up is awfully nice. But as a pc gamer, you'll agree that paying to play online is downright lunacy after playing PC games for free for a decade online.

[quote name='Paco']Then get a PS3. You just said you have a gaming PC so that nullifies the point of getting a 360 in all honesty. Though the ease of setting things up is awfully nice. But as a pc gamer, you'll agree that paying to play online is downright lunacy after playing PC games for free for a decade online.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for Truth. PC will get a lot of the Triple-A FPS that you enjoy so much, so get the PS3 which has a greater number of exclusives.

Also, if you're a baseball fan, the PS3's MLB: 09 the show is the most critically acclaimed baseball game across all the consoles and it's a Sony-developed exclusive. Otherwise, multi-platform sports games (and games in general) are of practically similar quality now-a-days between the 360 and PS3.

[quote name='Slartibartfast']I was in the market for a new console recently...bought a Saturn...[/QUOTE]

You are SO going to be poor within the next few months :D

[quote name='lolwut?']If you're more serious about playing games (especially online), I'd go with a 360.

If you want a more well-rounded multimedia machine, I'd go with the PS3.

Both have their pros and cons, that's why you have to make a decision based on personal preference.

And the Wii isn't that great. [/QUOTE]

^^Nominated for Best Short Answer.^^

My 2 cents: I own and played their predecessors: GameCube, PS2, and Xbox. I liked all three for their own strengths, so I did not carry a bias when I entered into Next-Gen territory last Sep'08.

Like a good CAG, I did want to get the most fun and enjoyment for the least amount of spending cash. Wii was eliminated due to being 'not' next-gen. Console entry prices for PS3 and 360 were too high, but when the $199 Hot Topic Halo 3 Special Edition console got posted on CAG, my golden-ticket was IN!

[edit] ultimately, what many here have said, purchase the console based upon the game(s) you want to play. GameCube for Metroid Prime, 360 for Dead Rising. If I wanted to play God of War III, then I'll need to fork out $430 sometimes in the near future.

All next-gen games can be had for cheap. Any CAG will tell you that. $5 - $15 is the best range. :)

These threads are pointless. I say 360, you say PS3, another says Wii. People aren't going to change their opinions regardless of how many pros/cons a particular console has.

[quote name='Danil ACE']These threads are pointless. I say 360, you say PS3, another says Wii. People aren't going to change their opinions regardless of how many pros/cons a particular console has.[/QUOTE]

Likely true, but the more people who say substantive, positive things about a console then the more likely someone is to maybe consider it as a purchase.

It's especially important for the PS3 as, besides its improving gaming library, has a lot of features and thus value that people wouldn't normally know about unless people talk about it. Whether that's good or bad is up to one's own interpretation.

And it's also a very minor barometer of the general feeling of the gaming community. Things can change very quickly of course, as it was only last winter that everyone was asking, "Is the PS3 dead?"

I own all five consoles.

I started out by buying a PSP because I was big into handheld gaming. Really liked the design and liked the features it had (Video and Music Playback, etc.).

However, my first nex-gen gaming console was a Xbox 360 (I bought it when it first came out). Over the years, I have played tons of games it and it’s a blast; however, I did get the Red Ring of Death a couple of times. It’s a great system and the marketplace is very up-to-date (i.e. Point Lookout for Fallout 3 before PS3).

Then, I decided to purchase the Wii when it first came out. I thought the controls were very innovative and I really liked the titles appearing on the system (i.e. the newest Zelda game). Although it has some great party titles (i.e. Mario Party, Super Smash Brothers, etc.), I am still very disappointed with the graphics and I am also not very fond of the online system they have.

A couple months ago I decided to purchase the DSi. I liked some of the titles for the DS (i.e. Zelda and Grand Theft Auto), and decided to put my money towards a new handheld system (wasn’t playing on my PSP that much anymore). I really like the features of the DSi, including the controls, but hope they add even more features to it (preferably Video Playback).

And last, but not least, I decided to purchase the infamous PS3 (no that is not a pun). I saw the deal Amazon was having (trade in $75 dollars worth of games, and get an extra $75 off a console) and decided to put my money towards it. I’ve been playing the PS3 a lot lately and very happy with the exclusives it has (i.e. LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, etc.). I am also very fond of the Blu-Ray player it comes with.

It is truly hard to sit down and compare each console. Each has their own flaws. Ultimately, it boils down to questions you can answer: Which exclusives do you like better and how much are you willing to spend. The choice is yours.

while you guys are discussing this, should i get mw2 for 360 or ps3? im kinda leaning towards ps3 becuase my live ran out and im mainly going to get it for online play. never played online on the ps3, is it pretty much same as 360? why is everyone saying 360 has better online?

[quote name='wwe101']while you guys are discussing this, should i get mw2 for 360 or ps3? im kinda leaning towards ps3 becuase my live ran out and im mainly going to get it for online play. never played online on the ps3, is it pretty much same as 360? why is everyone saying 360 has better online?[/QUOTE]

I've played Call of Duty World at War and Call of Duty 4 via PSN. The games ran fine, however neither one of these games offer cross game invites for the PS3. (as you have to be in the game to receive any invite). It doesn't bother me, but that's probably the biggest con when you're comparing the game vs the 360 version. But in terms of play online... it was great.

[quote name='Thomas96']I've played Call of Duty World at War and Call of Duty 4 via PSN. The games ran fine, however neither one of these games offer cross game invites for the PS3. (as you have to be in the game to receive any invite). It doesn't bother me, but that's probably the biggest con when you're comparing the game vs the 360 version. But in terms of play online... it was great.[/QUOTE]

sweet, thats all i need to know

Home Console: 360, since it has a strong line-up of good, worth-playing games(unlike the Wii) and it actually can justify it's price-point(unlike the PS3).

Portable: DS, because graphics don't matter on a portable and quality releases are a monthly thing, not semi-annual like with the PSP.

bread's done
Back