Best deal on 360 Pro/Premium or Elite? (and which to get?)

dtcarson

CAGiversary!
As title says....
I ordered a Premium with the free year of Live from CC.Com yesterday. They were out of the Elite, but after tax/shipping, ordering the Elite with the Live card from Amazon would be cheaper than getting it from CC anyway (however, everyone including Amazon is apparently out of the Elite now).
First question: for a new owner which would be better, Premium or Elite? Though my TV only does DVI and 1080i, I already have an HDMI->DVI adapter, and one cable (two or three, counting audio) is easier than 5 or 6, and then I'd get the DVD upconversion as well (right?)
I don't plan on paying to download movies, and I don't care about uploading my own music, but I do want to download demos and XBLA stuff, and I don't want to be fighting for space 6 months down the road.

Second question: best place/price for the suggested 360? The Premium with free year of Live from CC was a good deal; it looks like Walmart.com actually has some decent bundles (and some not so decent ones, you have to do the math on each one), and of course ordering from Amazon and saving 6.25% is nice. I'm not averse to bundles, but it would depend on what it came with (extra wireless controller, game of my choice, etc.)

Should I try to get an extended warranty? Can you buy one direct from MS?

And what are the odds on a price drop, say, before Christmas? Is now a bad time to buy, or since they didn't announce a drop at E3, it's unlikely they will have one in the near future?

All 360s are covered for 3 years from MS for the RROD, so getting an extended warranty is up to your discretion; the MS warranty won't matter after a year (I think) if you have non-RROD issues, but since RROD is the most likely cause of death for the 360, some people think it's moot, then.

If the Elite is as cheap, then wait for it. The 20GB is manageable with demos and such, but you have to be diligent. I wish I didn't have to be diligent.

I think the Aug 1 rumor is ruled out now that we have the ads and nothing is mentioned.

If you can wait till the end of the year I would be shocked if there isn't a drop by then.

That's what I was thinking about the Elite; I'm secondguessing my Premium order. More space is almost always better (I've having to manage my 60GB ipod almost daily), especially when it's cheap (compared to buying the space separately).
I like the idea of an upcoming price drop, but that's very nebulous right now isn't it? Oh well, 9 days isn't too much to wait.
(edit) hmm, end of year is a longer wait. I fully expect a price drop *sometime* the question is balancing "wait for price drop" and "playing time I'd lose by waiting".

bread's done
Back