Best deal on a 1080P LCD 40" or bigger?

the3rdkey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Anyone have any good deals or know a TV that rox my sox?

Update:

I broke down and bought a projection:

24960_large.jpg

It was the best deal I could find on 1080P.

10000:1 contrast ratio
WEGA digital video proces.
0.61" sxrd panel 1920x1080
Replaceable 120w uhp lamp
2-hdmi 1080p input capable
Cinema black pro
Bbe/srs trusurround xt
Dolby digital technology

It twas $1000 big ones.

Shadowrun and Dirt look sweet in 50" and Tekken 5 on the PS3 looks like god in 1080P.

=)

Woah, somehow this Sharp 42 inch 1080p Television shot down to 1000 dollars! I would definately check this out! And to think, I was just about to give you a link to a westinghouse that had PS3 "handshake " issues and surround sound issues. I'd jump on it if i had the cash!

*exclaimation point*

Damn u. Right as i was writing that.

This is such a good deal i think it might deserve it's own thread.

OmG . OmG. 56 inches of 1080p! Plus it's a reliable brand ( Samsung ) and that cheap? Are HDTVs really getting this cheap?

Do you have the reciept? :(

I know I would...

But if you like the TV then you shouldn't go through all of the troubles of retur----

do it.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Do you have the reciept? :(

I know I would...[/QUOTE]
I do...and it's a really nice TV...but idk.

Part of the reason I got it was the no interest for 18 months thing...Amazon doesn't have anything like that, do they?

[quote name='whoknows']Should I feel bad for buying this a couple weeks ago with how cheap they are getting?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-32-LCD-HDTV-LN-T3242H/sem/rpsm/oid/173636/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do[/quote]

I bought this same TV from Circuit City last week. It was an open box item so I got it for $799 before tax.

Have you experienced any screen tear issues with yours? I've noticed occasional tearing on the lower part of the screen when watching dvds/playing games through my XBOX 360. I've read somewhere that some Samsungs have a problem with this.

Anyways, mine is going to go back to the store this weekend. It's a really nice TV but the tearing bothers me quite a bit, considering I just bought it a week ago.

I'm also in the market for a 40" 1080p unit now.

[quote name='ispeshaled']I bought this same TV from Circuit City last week. It was an open box item so I got it for $799 before tax.

Have you experienced any screen tear issues with yours? I've noticed occasional tearing on the lower part of the screen when watching dvds/playing games through my XBOX 360. I've read somewhere that some Samsungs have a problem with this.

Anyways, mine is going to go back to the store this weekend. It's a really nice TV but the tearing bothers me quite a bit, considering I just bought it a week ago.

I'm also in the market for a 40" 1080p unit now.[/QUOTE]
I haven't noticed anything. Maybe someone returned it for that problem and they just decided to sell it as open box?

Mine has been working perfectly so far.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']Woah, somehow this Sharp 42 inch 1080p Television shot down to 1000 dollars! I would definately check this out! And to think, I was just about to give you a link to a westinghouse that had PS3 "handshake " issues and surround sound issues. I'd jump on it if i had the cash!

*exclaimation point*

Damn u. Right as i was writing that.

This is such a good deal i think it might deserve it's own thread.[/quote]

I know absolutely NOTHING about TV's - is there a downside to that great deal?? Like is 1920 x 1080 Resolution not good or something? How is this so cheap?

The sharp is showing up as 1550 for me on amazon. Some sharp panels are reported to have problems like banding. That samsung is a nice tv but its a dlp, not flat panel, which has its own problems. Like needing replacement of the lamp every now and than. The samsung 65 series is probably one of the best lcds out now and are currenty the best selling tvs on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LNT40...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185573701&sr=1-1
The new sumsungs are coming out in a month or so (71 81 series) so these should hopefully drop even more in price. The contrast ratio of the 81 series is gonna be 100,000:1!

1080P is good. You could look the panel up yourself to see on avsforum.com/

Oh, and there's tearing in some games because they don't add this feature ( forgot what it's called ) to the game that stops tearing. They do this as a measure to get the frame rate up. It really has nothing to do with your TV. Gears of War is an example.

What is wrong with DLP? That 56" looks awfully nice but I don't know anything about HDs. I guess that TV is 2 years old now! The Sharp Aquos isn't much better at 1.5 years either though....

DLPs are bigger and that particular one only has 20,000 hours of bulb life. You'll have to put enother bulb in it rather quickly. LCDs have the same problem, but they usually have 50-60,000 hours of life. If anyone here knows, what do you do when your LCD bulb runs out? Is that just it or can you get it fixed?

[quote name='freshzen']What is wrong with DLP? That 56" looks awfully nice but I don't know anything about HDs. I guess that TV is 2 years old now! The Sharp Aquos isn't much better at 1.5 years either though....[/quote]

The difference is size. That DLP tv is 15" deep. A typical flat panel tv - like the Sharp Aquos - is only a few inches deep.

The LED DLP bulbs are user replaceable and will probably run about $250. But 20,000 hours would equal about 8 hours of use everyday for 7 years. The older DLP TVs have bulbs that last about 8,000 hours. When the bulb starts to fade you replace it and it should theoretically be good as new.

The backlighting on LCD tvs is not user replaceable but should last the life of the tv. 20 years at 8 hours a day.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']DLPs are bigger and that particular one only has 20,000 hours of bulb life. You'll have to put enother bulb in it rather quickly. LCDs have the same problem, but they usually have 50-60,000 hours of life. If anyone here knows, what do you do when your LCD bulb runs out? Is that just it or can you get it fixed?[/QUOTE]

I second Limegreen. I have had a Sharp Aquos for about 2 years now and I tell you, I have never once regretted it. Pictures dont get sharper or more detailed. Thats a steal for that TV

Wow, that Sharp Aquos is exactly the one I've been looking at. Alas, even at $1000, I can't afford it, but my brother is in the market.

I have the Philips 42PFL7422 and it's awesome. Has one of the best pictured of any Tv in its price range on the market. $1,400 at costco with three year warranty and 90 day return policy. Also, it has easy firmware upgrades, and oe of the Philips reps have been investigating problems over at AVS forum. it's pretty sweet.

Yeah I think I might shoot for the Aquos...I'll just have to wait and hope this is still available in 7 days, damn rent lol.

AVSforum is a great resource, so always check there first. That said, DLPs are known to have a 'lag' that some gamers complain about. Info is available out there, I don't remember where I read it.

I pulled the trigger last week on the Samsung 46" LNT-4661F for 2k from Amazon. It sells for $2600+ at BB and CC (plus shipping, plus tax) - but most online retailers sell for about 2k. It's gotten fantastic reviews, has HDMI 1.3, a PC input (for the 360's VGA cable) and 10,000 brightness.

Please keep in mind any TV you buy should be recalibrated (use Digitial Video Essentials DVD or Avia or something similar) because they're never set up correctly for out-of-the-box viewing. Again, you can learn more about this at AVS forum. Generally, folks have already done the work for you, and you can plug their numbers into your TV and get a BIG improvement.

That sucks. I feel a bit turned off to HDTVs now.

And you can get a (box) to help you wit h the problem but it only costs 300 dollars.

Balls. I think I'll just keep an SDTV around. Shit.

[quote name='Punk_Raven']The TV is already back to 1600....wow.[/QUOTE]
Its at $1499.99 now (unless you're looking at the 56")...through a different seller. I was looking at it last night and it said they only had 2 left in stock through Learning Planet @ $1K.

I actually ended up ordering one after I realized I can use my paycheck next Friday to pay rent since my new landlord is cool, I get until the 5th to pay.

If you're pushing an HD signal onto an HD set - and you're not looking at a DLP TV, lag should not be a problem...don't discount HDTVs because of that!!!

Nice, enjoy your new TV.

Here's
an entire thread on the avs forums ( if you haven't seen it yet ) on that model and other models in that series. You could be able to find information on good display settings in the thread but i haven't searched through it completely so I'm not sure.

Faukkkk!!!!! They canned my order :(

I'm very bummed about this. I guess I will keep my eye out and keep saving up money.

Anybody got any impressions on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112180?

42" / 1920 x 1080 res. / 8ms response / 1000:1 contrast / 550 cd/m2 brightness

$1099 + $99 ship - $99 rebate = $1,099.99 shipped for the Sceptre.

Here is the official product page.

Do you guys think the Sceptre brand tv will have much worse quality than the Aquos? Another thing I just realized is this Sceptre model only has 1 HDMI hook up from the looks of things which means I can only have PS3 and not 360 Elite :(

That's what's so pressing about it. One of the top brands on the market, for a day, was a good amount less then all of the other inferior brands. Sucks that your order got canned. I'd just want until something else comes up.

Well I looked at a Sceptre Komodo B&M today at MicroCenter. Its only 720p and not even an impressive one. They didn't carry the Naga which is the 1080p model.

Went around to Sears, Kmart, and Target too....disappointment all around definitely will be ordering a tv.

I took a chance and ordered the 1080p Sharp LCD even though it was not sold by Amazon.com (figured Amazon marketplace would have me covered).
Weird thing: my credit card wouldn't put it through without further authorization. So I e-mailed the seller (Teaching Planet) and got this reply from a gmail account:
"hello,
i am selling tv's on amazon since 1998.you should have contacted me before order.you will receive a refund because i can not use the usual credit card payment , due the fact i can not receive international funds to credit card.
thanks"

HUH??? Teaching Planet could use some teachers.
International funds??? Their profile says they're in CT.
About Teaching Planet
Teaching Planet is the web-based version of our Teacher-Parent Store in Danbury, CT. We offer over 30,000 different Teacher and Parent Materials for teachers, home-schoolers and parents. Teaching Planet is a family-owned operation that has been serving teachers and parents alike since 1997.

It looks like someone jacked their account.

So I have to thank my credit card company for getting me out of this deal.

Should have known it was too good to be true.

I thought it was strange after reading TPs feedback.

Amazon customer service said it my card was not charged after order got canceled. Its still showing up as pending, if that goes through I'm going to be one of those people that keeps a teller busy for 45 minutes at the bank :(

[quote name='Punk_Raven']I feel terrible for linking that...sowwy. :([/QUOTE]

I'm a little tempted to save up the money and buy the same tv for $1499 though. I wish I could see the 1080p Sceptre Naga in person...

I might even settle for a 37" if I can get the right quality at the right price.

[quote name='chrisnsally']42" Panasonic 1080p for $1499 from Frys...pretty nice deal:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5290327[/QUOTE]

That's a plasma....how long do those things really last these days? I was reading on CNET that when this model came out it had possibly the best picture quality of all 42" 1080p sets LCD or Plasma.

I'm seriously considering just saving up the money and buying the 2007 model 42" Sharp Aquos. ValuePlasma.com (found on CNET referral) has it for $1540 out of pocket. That is very tempting, if its still around from them in a few weeks I might just bite. The LC-42D72U model is the 2007 version, from what I read it uses 4 blacklights instead of the 3 used by the one from 2006. It makes darks darker and the set will last even longer.

If Costco has the Sceptre Naga 42" in store today and I'm liking it I will probably buy that today. Seems like it has good picture quality, not top of the line but possibly better than Phillips or Westinghouse...main issue is the customer service and the media box isn't uncommon to be detective.

bread's done
Back