best deal on a 120gb drive w/transfer cable for a 360?

kenn

CAGiversary!
My 20 gig is now full of downloaded songs and such. I am down to a couple of gigs and I have new games. So.... where's the best deal on a 120 gigger?

Yeah, I'm looking for one, too. It seems they are all out of stock on every major website. So even if you wanted to overpay Microsoft's ridiculous price, you can't! At this point, I'd be willing to pay ~$100 for 120GB w/transfer kit even though that is too much, too.

I just picked one up at Best Buy (in store) for $135. I know, rip off price, but I just got tired of doing the download juggle.

I also just picked one up from Best Buy in-store for $135 (it came up as a clearance item). I looked everywhere online for a genuine Microsoft package but couldn't find anything in stock.

$135 at Best Buy you say? Hmm. I have a giftcard and some rz certifs. That's tempting. Did it come with the transfer cable?

[quote name='mtxbass1']$135 at Best Buy you say? Hmm. I have a giftcard and some rz certifs. That's tempting. Did it come with the transfer cable?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Best Buy package comes with the transfer cable and software. I got it yesterday (12/27) and transferred my 20gb in little over an hour. Worked perfectly.

Any new retail packed drive at retail will have the transfer cable included in the package.

Buying then used or third-party will not usually have the transfer cable included.

I've been worried about official and unofficial Xbox HDDs lately. I only want the official one, but the MSRP is way too high. The Craigslist and eBay deals just seem to shady.

[quote name='mtxbass1']if I bought a new elite, would it come with the cable? Is MS still giving them out for free if not?[/QUOTE]

They no longer include the cables in the boxes with the systems. They don't offer it for free anymore either I found out.

[quote name='catbigred']They no longer include the cables in the boxes with the systems. They don't offer it for free anymore either I found out.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I just called up CS and they said it's $12.90 + tax depending on your state.

I'd like to pick one up at BB but I don't want to go and find them out of stock. Is there a way to check stock on clearance items, because I can't find it listed on their site?

[quote name='mxpowar']Yeah, I just called up CS and they said it's $12.90 + tax depending on your state.

I'd like to pick one up at BB but I don't want to go and find them out of stock. Is there a way to check stock on clearance items, because I can't find it listed on their site?[/QUOTE]

They don't have the webpage up for that item anymore, so you can't check inventory online. You could always call them...

[quote name='catbigred']They no longer include the cables in the boxes with the systems. They don't offer it for free anymore either I found out.[/QUOTE]They never included the cables in the boxes with an Elite. Only the 120GB drive retail package.

You used to be able to get one for free if you purchased an Elite, though now, it's $12.90 for S&H.

[quote name='mxpowar']Yeah, I just called up CS and they said it's $12.90 + tax depending on your state.

I'd like to pick one up at BB but I don't want to go and find them out of stock. Is there a way to check stock on clearance items, because I can't find it listed on their site?[/QUOTE]

Have them check for UPC 882224460941 and see if they can find it.

[quote name='shrike4242']They never included the cables in the boxes with an Elite. Only the 120GB drive retail package.

You used to be able to get one for free if you purchased an Elite, though now, it's $12.90 for S&H.

Have them check for UPC 882224460941 and see if they can find it.[/QUOTE]
Huh, I can't even get through to anyone on the phone at my local BB. This is probably the worst time of the year to call a retail store. Maybe I'll just take a ride there tomorrow for the "fun" of it and see if they have any. Thanks a lot for your help, though, Shrike.

EDIT: Thanks to Shrike's UPC, I found an online store that sells it for a comparable price.
http://www.pdapreferred.com/microso...28e293f824c0d9b20d17cea1cee9a1&sl=EN&currency=

Anybody ever heard of them and are they trustworthy?

Last edited by a moderator:
consolesource.com has a 120 gig for 84.95. shipping is 4.95. The title says Microsoft 120gb Hard Drive Xbox 360 (Grade A). Im not sure what the "Grade A" is all about. Not very specific on if it might be a refurb or not.

I would have posted a link, but it wont let new users post links. Sorry.

[quote name='BrownCracker']consolesource.com has a 120 gig for 84.95. shipping is 4.95. The title says Microsoft 120gb Hard Drive Xbox 360 (Grade A). Im not sure what the "Grade A" is all about. Not very specific on if it might be a refurb or not.

I would have posted a link, but it wont let new users post links. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
Here's the link:
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/catalog/Microsoft-120GB-Hard-Drive-Xbox-360-Grade-A-p-2988.html

It also doesn't say whether the transfer cable is included so it might not be a Microsoft retail version.

Just a random question, if the HDD doesn't specify the size on the silver part, does that mean its an old 20GB from before they made more models? Or is it generic?

@freshzen
Most likely either. You can buy generic cases and throw a hacked drive in. Replacing the 20GB drive is easy as well. Thus up in the air.

@The Color Chris
Let us know if you are able to play any original games that you may have downloaded. If so it seems like a good deal. (Halo for instance) Games that you download to a hacked drive will have an error when trying to play. It will ask you to redownload it again and again and again. Never works.

[quote name='catbigred']@freshzen
Most likely either. You can buy generic cases and throw a hacked drive in. Replacing the 20GB drive is easy as well. Thus up in the air.

@The Color Chris
Let us know if you are able to play any original games that you may have downloaded. If so it seems like a good deal. (Halo for instance) Games that you download to a hacked drive will have an error when trying to play. It will ask you to redownload it again and again and again. Never works.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about game on demand games or xbox 1 games because i don't have either so i should be fine but can't help answer those questions

Cool. If the price of those games were a little less points I'd give it a run but I know I wouldn't play the game to completion so rather not spend the points

These things are becoming hard to find in stores. I went to 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, and Fry's and not one single 120gb hdd. Only the stupid 60gb starter packs.

I'm probably going to check out Wal-Mart for them and if they don't have it, I guess GameStop will have to do...

[quote name='DarkZion']These things are becoming hard to find in stores. I went to 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, and Fry's and not one single 120gb hdd. Only the stupid 60gb starter packs.

I'm probably going to check out Wal-Mart for them and if they don't have it, I guess GameStop will have to do...[/QUOTE]

watch out on GameStop on this.... just looking at their website and they have the 120, but USED/refurb only?????? whaaaaaa?

ouch, guess this will be a very tough find

Best Buy at least here is not selling 120 GB drives anymore. (couldnt find one at 3 game stops either, I had the lady look it up in the system every way possible and no maches found. manager said they aren't carrying them anymore) I then searched at least 7 stores for clearance and no one has them. I couldnt take the 20 GB juggling act of deleting and re downloading so I just got the 60 gig for 89 bucks for now off BB.com (price matched in store)

Oh yeah if you need the XFER cable that will be 12.95 + shipping from M$ and they take a month to ship it woooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!! (thanks for buying our fucking over heating piece of shit at launch!) I ordered it then went to work and talked to a guy and said his kid had one buried and luckily he found it and I xferred all my data in about an hour and a half.

I couldnt get a hold of anyone who could get my 13 bucks back but I am sure now that I bucked up they will offer a 250 gig in store for 50 bucks soon.

Microcenter had refurbs (and lots of them) for 89 bucks, but I just dont trust it to last.

The Best Buy store that I just stopped at had around 20 of the 120gb drives on the shelf. The tag said $149.99. It is the Best Buy in Hickory Hollow in Nashville, TN.

bread's done
Back