Best deal on a Macbook?

I've been looking for one myself and there really aren't many deals on these at all. The best options I have found are checking the refurbished Macbooks at the Apple store to see if they get any Core 2 Duos in that they are selling refurbished (usually saves $100 or more...still has 1 year warranty) or have a friend or relative that is a student or a teacher buy one with the Apple education discount. The mid-tiered Macbook in white goes for $1199 with the education discount. My parents are educators so I'm going to have them buy me one and ship it to me. There are a few places that have had a rebate or two, but it's been few and far between and no better than the education discount. I've been looking for a good deal for the last 6 months and that's about all you can do to get a deal on a Macbook.

Refurbs are by far the best deals. Education discount can be had by anyone. Just log in to the Apple Store website and chose your local school. The requirements are very loose.

Refurbs are your best bet for a deal. Apple sets the prices for all their products and the margins are paper thin. That's why you rarely see any deals. Their refurbs come with the same warranty as "new" and you can get the AppleCare extension any time within the first year of purchase. The MacBooks have been pretty flakey so you'll probably want to consider that option.

[quote name='Linx']Refurbs are by far the best deals. Education discount can be had by anyone. Just log in to the Apple Store website and chose your local school. The requirements are very loose.[/QUOTE]

This is true. Although I work for a University, every time I've order through the website I've never been asked for any kind of proof or verification. Just say your a student and you should be cool.

I work at Best Buy and I get a special retailer accomodation. If you work at a retail store you might want to look into that. I get a little bit better than the education discount on new stuff (maybe 2-3% more...) and that's it most of the time. Before New Years, however, they were giving an extra $100 off of a refurb so I got my White Macbook for $699. It's a core duo, but not a core 2 duo. Also, this happens with refurbs sometimes, but my specs were upgraded. I was supposed to get a 60GB hard drive and 512MB of ram, but I ended up with an 80gig and 1Gig of ram.

if you are a student of anything computer related you can join the apple developer connection. it costs $99 for membership but you get an absurd discount, for me it was $500 off a macbook pro. it is a one time per person discount.

www.developer.apple.com

CompUSA.

Check their site for in-store blowout deals, and find one that still has MacBooks in stock. CompUSA's are reportedly no longer carrying Apple products other than the iPod, and are clearancing out ALL inventory of Apple desktops and notebooks. They're going fast, but if you're in a semi-remote area, you might get lucky.

The CompUSA near me (I won't say exactly which one, as I'm planning on going this weekend and buying one myself) has the base Macbook (MacBook Notebook, Intel Core Duo Processor, 1.83GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive, 13.3-inch WXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD / 24X16X24 CD-RW Combo Drive, Mac OS X Tiger v10.4, White) for $699.98.

Some still had the next model up (the 2.0GHz processor and DVD burner) for $799.98, a savings of somewhere near $4-500 off of Apple Store prices.

Don't get a white one. I have one, and it looks cheap. Plus it has light brown spots by the battery and other warm components.

[quote name='n25philly']Don't get a white one. I have one, and it looks cheap. Plus it has light brown spots by the battery and other warm components.[/QUOTE]
But really, an extra $400 for black is retarded.

I got mine back in August which was before the C2Duo's from the Apple Store in Irvine, got 180$ rebate off a Ipod Video, so payed 90$ for an Ipod video, got a free 100$ Hp all in one photo printer, got 100$ off my Macbook with the Education Discount, and got a Mighty mouse and Apple Keyboard, well worth it. Apple is the way to go, use the education discount, and upgrade the ram when you get it. I have 1.25 gb of ram and am going to get 2 gb ram asap. Don't upgrade the ram through apple, only upgrade the Hard drive unless you want a 7200 rpm hd, newegg.com has great prices on ram, I payed 86$ shipped for 1 GB of Gskill ram,

Mac OS really needs ATLEAST 1 GB of ram, so spend your money on that, and DO NOT buy ram through apple, so use the education discount, you will be VERY happy with your Macbook.

**Prices were all based on education discount**

Note that iLife 07 and Leopard will likely be released sometime in march-may. If you are interested in either, you may want to wait until these are bundled with the system. I am.

bread's done
Back