Best deal on the expensive (yet luxerious) Criterion Collection DVDs.

D

Dick Tracy

Criterion Collection DVDs are expensive as shit... Anyone know where some good deals are on this collection?

You can get the Criterion Chasing Amy for $15 and Royal Tenenbaums for $17 at Best Buy. Other than that, good luck.

I picked up The Royal Tenenbaums at Best Buy. Didn't see Chasing Amy. I'll have to keep my eye out on that one (as I didn't really look for it). I need to replace the Chasing Amy VHS I have, anyway.

The only place I can find deals is ebay, really.

Even on eBay you are hard pressed to find deals. I'm a criterion collector myself and have been for many years. You might check your local Borders or Barnes and Nobile bookstores if you have them in your area. I was able to pick up Sid and Nancy, Sanjuro, and Robocop many months after they were out of print. As far as the DVD's ever going on sale......slim to no chance of that happening.

Well you could buy THIS.

It is $5000, but includes all their DVDs published up trhough 2004 except some out of print ones (good lcuk finding those especially. It comes out about $21 per title. I don't know that anyone can afford to pay 5000 dollars for DVDs, but it may actually be the cheapest way. Also keep you eyes peeled at places like deepdiscountdvd and ebay as deals trickle by once in a great while.

Someone had been trading in a couple Criterions at my local EB. They traded in By Brakhage, and Knife in the Water. There was a Rushmore I picked up for around 15.

I'd recommend Deep Discount DVD, they have the best prices on a few Criterion DVDs I've looked at before, and I'd guess they'll usually have the best Criterion prices around. Your best bet might be to wait for another of their sales and pick up some then.

dvdpricesearch.com

also wait on the next 20% off from deep discount

and while criterion certainly releases on average better movies with better extras that most studios, do not be tricked that everything they put out is good (or more importantly, enjoyable to you)

This thread has impeccable timing. I was looking for a good price on the Armagaddon: Criterion. Looks like I may have to wait for DDD's 20% deal as it is close to $30 almost everywhere I look.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Well you could buy THIS.

It is $5000, but includes all their DVDs published up trhough 2004 except some out of print ones (good lcuk finding those especially. It comes out about $21 per title. I don't know that anyone can afford to pay 5000 dollars for DVDs, but it may actually be the cheapest way. Also keep you eyes peeled at places like deepdiscountdvd and ebay as deals trickle by once in a great while.[/quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: =P~ ROFLMAO! Oh MAN, that's fantastic!
(and if we were more well off, this would actually be a great deal.)
My favorite thing is Amazon's typical "Add this and save this much" followups- this one has "Buy some 200 dvds and get La Dolce Vita for 28.99" with it!
Hell, what's another 30 bucks if you can afford this? :roll:

Just an FYI on the Chasing Amy DVD: It's cheap because it's crap. It has good extras and everything, but it's a copy of the laser disc version. The video is terrible. It doesn't affect the enjoyment of that particular movie too much, but it's not exactly a Criterion quality DVD transfer.

As for deals, I'm waiting around for DDD's sale like everyone else.

And remember to buy The Killer and Hard Boiled the second Criterion re-releases them for HD formats. Not that they'll become rare next time around, they're just good.

All of the inprint ones out are around $30. Note that they go out of print so pick them up while they last. I have found a few at BB in the preplayed section such as Great Expectations but they run them at 25... you can always though grab another movie and make the 2 for 20 deal :)

I personally only have 2 of them and they really make high quality DVDs with loads of extras. I have the Chasing Amy one as well as teh other two but for being Criterian Collection it sure is not loaded at all.

I've always had the best luck at pawn shops. If you have any around you, start scrounging. Over the last year or so, I've picked up Rushmore and Sanjuro for $5 a piece and The Rock for $15. Most pawn shop owners don't have a clue what Criterion is and price them the same as normal dvd's.

[quote name='CokeCola']
And remember to buy The Killer and Hard Boiled the second Criterion re-releases them for HD formats. Not that they'll become rare next time around, they're just good.[/quote]

Where did you hear this? Last time I heard, Criterion didn't have the rights to those anymore. But if there's a rerelease of Hard Boiled I will be sooooo happy. The OOP Criterion version actually has a pretty crappy transfer.

I haven't heard anything. I'm just assuming they'll move everything over to HD eventually. If it's a rights issue, I guess we're out of luck.

Criteriondvd.com sometimes has some good deals. It's also a very helpful resource when your look for OOP titles and all stuff Criterion.

A few years ago I had the Criterion edition of Silence of the Lambs. I decided I didn't want it anymore and got Media Play to exchange it for an unopened copy then I exchanged that at another store for a different DVD. HA, I showed them! Well, I found out a couple of months later that SotL was selling for at least $80. I outsmarted myself! Idiot!

I've heard of people buying that huge ass collection on Amazon, keeping the ones they want and selling the ones they don't want in hopes of making their money back.

What's the criteria for a film to be included in the collection?

Did you notice how I slipped that in? Eh? Ehhhh? Heh-heh. Yeah.

*notices that no one is laughing*

*stands up, and stretches out arms*

Yeah. I think it's about time to hit the ole dusty trail.

[quote name='Brak']I've heard of people buying that huge ass collection on Amazon, keeping the ones they want and selling the ones they don't want in hopes of making their money back.[/quote]

Ugh, that sounds like a horrible pain in the ass.

Electroinc Fry's has then cheaper then any other store...
Royal Tennembaums and Chasing Amy were released only as Criterion version, and I Imagine Buena Vista had an agreement regarding the pricing for those... as rather mainstream titles (Compared to what Criterion usually puts out) they were guarenteed better sales by a lower price point.. an optional The Rock disc however would not as there was a cheaper one already in circulation.

I also forgot to mention that Tower has a Criterion sale at least once a year as well.

If I ever find Seven Samurai on the cheap, I'm all over it. The Criterion Clerks price kept me away for years, which is why I was very happy with a second and cheaper printing.

I'd just like to let you guys know that they're working on a Chasing Amy 20th Anniversary edition like they did with the Clerks X edition. It'll probably have tons of extras and a good video transfer. I have all the Kevin Smith films on dvd and it bugs me because now he's rereleasing them with these anniversary editions. Mallrats is being redone as well.

criterion is a dvd publisher who releases (mostly) not so well known films on dvd (used to be on laserdisc as well) with a ton of special features and (sometimes) awesome packaging.

Then they release stuff like The Rock and Armageddon which still confuses me.

but ususally they go for 30-70 bucks because of all the special features theyve put into it.

I would definately purchase Brazil if you want an example of how awesome they are. plus brazil is a friggin awesome movie, so its a win win situation! (exlcuding the fact that it goes for 60 bucks most places)

here's their site
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/

Wow. I never expected the cheapass crowd to miss out on the best deal. Your best bet on Criterions is going to be through www.dvdplanet.com

They have 35% off all Criterions ALWAYS, plus if you register a new account there, they give you a $3 off coupon on any order over $25. Shipped, you might come out a tad cheaper with DDD, but overall DVDPlanet looks to be the victor here.

[quote name='dracula']http://www.criteriondvd.com/item_info.php?item_id=292&sid=32ef8ff309201b9d4eabd7f5170a97fe

4 kurosawa films on criterion for $69 shipped(that works out to about $17 shipped per dvd)

5 john cassevettes films are $90 shipped(about $17 each)
Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Opening Night

http://www.criteriondvd.com/item_info.php?item_id=295

OH i am looking at deepdiscountdvd right now and wanting a 20% off sale. Down by law and[/quote]

... and what?! :p

usually i get my criterion as rasputin music in berkeley, san francisco, or pleasant hill. so far ive scored used versions of The Blob and Fear and Loathing and Las Vegas for $18 each. I've been looking for Carnival of Souls for a good price for a while.

I still need to unload my Criterion The Killer & Hard Boiled on eBay. I like them, but I'd rather have the $200-$300 instead LOL.

bread's done
Back