Best deal to get PS3 fixed?

Default09

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Not sure, where to post this topic but,

Recently, it started freezing on my at a much higher rate than before. I used to keep it on plain Carpet buy I put it on top of a Wii Box to gain elevation and receive a better signal. It's been a while since I put it on the wii box (over heating probs?) but I started having problems on sunday night.

First, the display would be screwed up showing all these weird colors and then it'd suddenly freeze on my.

Most recent games I played:

Killzone 2.
Age of Booty.
And I tried to play CoD4 but it'd freeze.

After it freezes, my PS3 usually won't turn on for a while. The green light would come up but nothing would show on the TV screen.

It hasn't completely broken down yet but if it does, I wanna find the best deal to get this fixed. I know sony charges like 150 bucks. ANd my warranty expired an year ago.

Really, see I want to thank you for this post as I am trying to decide about PS3 acqusition. I don't want to go offT but, what about Microsoft? especially because they have "deep discounts" if you register your repair online.

Anyway I am sorry to hear that. I was told that if your PS2 had problems you could send it to SOny and get it fixed free. This does seem illogical to me.

Sony would fix the PS2 if it had optical reading issues. There wasn't a recall but instead if you called and told them that your system wasn't reading games or DVD's then you could send it in to them and they would fix it.

buy a werranty at target for 29.99 and if they cant fix it then they well send u a GC for target to buy a new one

lol.... i am sure that is not how it will work, or target would've gone bankrupt b/c of this warranty policy.

anyway, you seem to have exact issue as i do.... i tried many things,like air dusting and reformatting....nothing worked. finally sent it off to sony for a fix today.

good luck. hopefully there will be a free fix in the future and i will get reimbursed for my $150. :(

Reformatting the hard disk didn't work for me either.

I'm gonna try a system restore. Whatever that does. Maybe, that'll work out for me.

[quote name='serenitygod']Really, see I want to thank you for this post as I am trying to decide about PS3 acqusition. I don't want to go offT but, what about Microsoft? especially because they have "deep discounts" if you register your repair online.

Anyway I am sorry to hear that. I was told that if your PS2 had problems you could send it to SOny and get it fixed free. This does seem illogical to me.[/quote]

Microsoft extended the warranty of the 360 to cover the RRoD for three years, due to massive rate at which the console was succumbing to it.

Yes I am aware of the RROD extension as I am on my fourth 360.
My roomate had a drive failure claimed it was RROD and Microsoft didn't even check it! I don't like lying about it however and three years is not forever.

[quote name='Default09']Starmask, can I get more details?

Do I just straight up buy my the warrant for the PS3 like any other product?[/QUOTE]

yeah just buy it then call the # on it

It sounds like your PS3's fan is clogged from carpet crap and hair. The unit is overheating; that would cause the distortion and it not turning back on. If it isn't under warranty, take the bottom off and clean out the fan and see if that helps.

[quote name='serenitygod']I would think you would have to buy the system from target right?
that is what we are all getting at[/QUOTE]

no u dont

[quote name='starmask2k3']no u dont[/quote]

can you confirm that it works? Cause I don't see why they would take in any PS3 system that wasn't purchased from Target, as someone stated above they would lose A LOT of money doing that.

Ripacrombie: sending in your ps3 system costs ~$130 I believe (the last time I got a quote) so he could just send it to sony for repairs.

[quote name='Sharp Katana']can you confirm that it works? Cause I don't see why they would take in any PS3 system that wasn't purchased from Target, as someone stated above they would lose A LOT of money doing that.

Ripacrombie: sending in your ps3 system costs ~$130 I believe (the last time I got a quote) so he could just send it to sony for repairs.[/quote]

It depends on the repair. He has to pay for shipping, and he'll have to wait almost 2 months for it. When I can just pay him and he'll have the cash immediately to put towards another. Time is precious :D

[quote name='RiPaCRoMBiE']It depends on the repair. He has to pay for shipping, and he'll have to wait almost 2 months for it. When I can just pay him and he'll have the cash immediately to put towards another. Time is precious :D[/quote]

well he said it costs about $150 and i think sony sends you a shipping label if I'm not mistaken. As for the time I'm not sure how quickly he wants his ps3 fixed.

OP I would say your best bet is to check out local repair shops or craigslist. Your PS3 isn't exactly dead you could probably have it repaired for a cheaper price. There's also another member on CAG by the name of ProtonX he buys and repairs systems you might want to send him a PM and ask him about it.

Btw I talked to Target they will not cover under warranty anything you didn't buy from them (as we all suspected). I just figured that this guy has been on cag a while and maybe he wasn't lying

I called Sony, and they quoted me $149.

I have the original 60 gig btw. It even has PS2 compatibility, so I don't wanna get rid of it.

I'll message PromoX, and see what he's up to.

I'm gonna get some canned air tonight and try to clean out the inside of my PS3. If that won't work, I'll just lay my PS3 to rest until I get the cash to fix it.

And RipaCrombie, G-stop is offering me 200 credit for a working 60 gig. My PS3 will work for like 20 min before it freezes. I'm not gonna sell it though.

bread's done
Back