Best Dpad on a 360 controller

Bloodbooger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I really like the setup on the Madcatz SF controllers, but I keep hearing stories of the controllers not working properly after a couple of months.

Is there another option that works well in 2D fighters and side scrolling games? 1st party or 3rd party, doesn't make a difference to me.

Thanks!

only problem I would probably have with that controller, is the right stick seems to be placed in the wrong spot due to the extra face buttons. If I could get a good deal on it, i'd try it out though.

The problem I have with that controller's d-pad is the same issue I have with the one on the standard controller- its placement is awkward. You have to hold your hand in a weird position.

The MadCatz SF controller is pretty good. EastX sold me one a few weeks ago, and he had had it, I believe, since the first SFIV came out,. It still works fine.

I love me the SF fight pad for XBLA games like Castlevania, Bionic Commando, Mega Man 9 & 10, ect. I do want to get one of those Hori pads as well though. I think I could get used to the placement of that 2nd stick. I still have an extra Akuma SF pad I need to try and sell on ebay or gamegavel when I'm not so damn lazy.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/12/the-best-xbox-360-d-pad-comes-with-a-drum-set.ars

xbox-360-mods-dpad.jpg

Seriously, it's good......... if you only need face buttons.

I've had a Madcatz Chun-Li fightpad since a few weeks before vanilla SF4 came out and it still works flawlessly. I don't use it as much since I've moved on to a stick but it still gets a fair amount of use. Works great for 2D arcade games and MAME.

[quote name='aihuman']http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/[/QUOTE]

Ended up buying the Hori, and it's pretty damn great. I thought the triggers had been moved next to the face buttons and was happy to find that they were still there. They're not as nice as 360 version, but still workable.

It may help that I have pretty big hands, but the analog stick and dpad placement do not bother me a bit. The EX2 is comfortable, and you can tell the build quality is solid.

the new SUPER street fighter branded mad catz controllers are even better then the old vanilla ones and they fixed all the bugs

I suggest you pick up one of those

The Hori Pad EX 2 that Aihuman linked to is indeed the best d-pad available on a 360 controller. Nor is the placement of the right-stick an issue at all.

I just shaved the inside ring of mine with sand paper. A dremel unit makes for quick work. Rather simple alternative. I'll make this short.

To get the controller apart with a NORMAL torx use something slender and strong to break those inside "posts" in the screws that prevent you from inserting the torx screwdriver down completely. A small flat head will do.

DON'T over do it with the sanding. You can go to far and wear down the wall that holds the WHOLE inside ring in there. (yes it can become 2 pieces).

Yeah i put it through Street Fighter, but the real test for me was Ultimate Mortal Kombat and Mega Man 9 and 10.

And i put it through the combo challenges in MK Vs. DC (ultimate test!)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BoneMonkey80']the new SUPER street fighter branded mad catz controllers are even better then the old vanilla ones and they fixed all the bugs

I suggest you pick up one of those[/QUOTE]

Did they actually make any changes? I hadn't read anything by Markman about it, so I figured they were the same.

bread's done
Back