best dreamcast games?

metroidkiller9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
i just got me a dreamcast and im not too familiar with its library. maybe you guys and girls could shout out some of the better games for the system. thanks!

Soul Calibur, Soul Reaver, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and RE: Code Veronica, to name a few.

I am shocked that nobody has mentioned Chu Chu Rocket. If you want a great puzzle game that doubles as a great 4 player party game this is the way to go.

forget chu chu rocket......how can no one mention phantasy star online....my fav game.....and quake 3 arena....if anyone wants to play online...holla at me...im still on quake

All the ones mentioned above, especially Rez, as well as:

Dead Or Alive 2
Samba De Amigo
Cool Cool Toon
Cannon Spike
Bangai-O
Ikaruga
Mars Matrix
Daytona USA
Sports Jam
Virtua Tennis 2K2

Of the ones not mentioned:

Grandia 2 (better version than the PS2 one)
Tech Romancer
Project Justice (Rival Schools 2)

I really liked Shadow Man for some reason... I guess it was cool for its time. I also had a lot of fun with Hydro Thunder...

SAn Francisco Rush 2049 as well... Remember when Midway had an Arcade division so when these games hit the home consoles, we actually cared???? Midway was foolish to overlook the marketing aspects of having games in seemingly every movie theater. .

thanks alot everybody. now all i have to do is track these games down. oh and does pso have a monthly charge on dreamcast? do a decent amount of people still play it?

Must-haves...

Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi
Tennis 2K2
Record of Lodoss War
Typing of the Dead (you need the keyboard though)

pretty good...

Dynamite Cop!
Zombie Revenge
Crazy Taxi 2
Virtua Tennis (only if you can't find Tennis 2K2)

Bangai-O, Skies of Arcadia (if you don't have a DC), Rez (if you don't have a PS2, and can play imports), Samba de Amigo (if you have $250, and can actually *find* maracas), Typing of the Dead (and a keyboard), House of the Dead 2 (if you can get a lightgun), Street Fighter (Alpha 3/Third Strike), Soul Calibur, Seaman, Ferrari F355 Challenge (best racer, EVER), Project Justice, Mars Matrix, Ikaruga (if you can play imports), Sega Bass Fishing (I know it sounds like I'm joking, but I'm not. Only if you can get the fishing controller, though), and Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram.

Yeah, that's a lot of games. But the DC's still my favorite console, so there you go.

seppo

Yeah, the Dreamcast has sooooo many great games for it. Most of you guys have pointed out all the really good ones, but there are still some other pretty good games like Tokyo Extreme Racer 2, RE: Code Veronica, Looney Tunes Space Race, Test Drive Le Mans, UFC, Worms World Party and Ecco the Dolphin.

Here are my favorites:

San Francisco Rush 2049
Metropolis Street Racer (pre-Project Gotham)
Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2
Jet Grind Radio
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Hydro Thunder (fun, hard, but short)
Test Drive Le Mans (still looks better than some of the current games out there. sitll has the best grass textures, too)
Daytona USA (very steep learning curve, at least to me)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Those are the ones I can think of now. Stay away, far AWAY from Wild Metal. It was awful.

[quote name='tolhurst']SAn Francisco Rush 2049 as well... Remember when Midway had an Arcade division so when these games hit the home consoles, we actually cared???? Midway was foolish to overlook the marketing aspects of having games in seemingly every movie theater. .[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that. After Midway closed down it's arcade division, their games just aren't like they used to be. They aren't that fun (with a couple of exceptions, MKDA being one), and they seem so average. And what happened to all the arcade racing games they used to do? I really liked games such as San Francisco Rush and Rush 2049, Hydro Thunder, and even their simpler games such as Cruisn' USA. That is what made Midway different from the other third-party companies. They had crazy and over the top arcade games other companies didn't have. They've lost touch on what made them a great company.

It's sad that they closed down their arcade division beacuse they thought it wasn't making money. How are Sega and Konami still able to make a profit? Arcade gaming still seems to be alive and well in Japan, why not just base their opperations from there?

Oh well, what can you do?

Alot of the ones I recommend have been mentioned, but I'll make a list

Soul Calibur
Samba De Amigo
Sega Rally 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Project Justice
Crazy Taxi
Shenmue
Shemue II (Import Only)
Space Channel 5
Virtua Tennis
Resident Evil: CODE Veronica
Last Blade 2
Capcom vs SNK
either version of Phantasy Star Online
Virtual On
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia 2
Sonic Adventure
Jet Grind Radio
The Typing of the Dead

And Games I wouldn't exactly called Triple AAA but fun none the less
Sega Marine Fishing
The House of the Dead 2
ChuChu Rocket
Resident Evil 2 (The bonus art is worth the price of admission if you're a fan)
Seaman
Ooga Booga

Edit: I think the Dreamcast versions of PSO are offline only now. I think the servers went down earlier this year.

All good suggestions. I'd like to point out that even now that SCII has been released the original Soul Calibur is just as if not slightly more fun than the sequel. Graphically the newer game has and edge but it's no where near as big as you'd expect, SC for the DC has just fantastic F-ing graphics.

Also if you have any interest in the Legacy of Kain series the DC version of the first Soul Reaver is the one you wanna play. It's graphics sit on the PSX version and you don't have to worry about system specs and stability like you do with the PC version. You can get it for under $10 and if you end up liking it you'll be able to get a cheap copy of the Soul Reaver 2 for the PS2. If you're still hungry after all that Defiance should have dropped some by the time you're ready for it.

Also if you liked "A Link to the Past" on SNES, pick up Elemental Gimmick Gear for the DC. I don't here it mentioned a lot but it's a really fun 2-D adventure game.

This is what I found while looking over the reviews. I repeat that I have not played most of these games, but that I have compiled an expansive list for the would-be Dreamcast owner, ESPECIALLY since you can own most of these games for ten bucks or less (half.ebay or elsewhere). They are in NO SPECIFIC ORDER except general rating.

my email address: [email protected]

EXCELLENT GREAT OVERALL SUPERIOR

1. Marvel vs Capcom 1 or 2 (at 2 your looking at 50 bucks)
2. Power Stone 1 and 2 (Power Stone 2 was going for $250! thus not really for the cheap ass gamer)

3. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
4. Soul Caliber
5. MDK 2

6. Rayman 2
7. Legacy of Kan: Soul Reaver
8. Skies of Arcadia
9. Grandia 2
10. Phantasy Star Online

11. Virtua Tennis
12. NFL2K1
13. Mr. Driller
14. Gunbird 2
15. Mars Matrix

16. Shenmue (Shenmue 2 was only dropped in Europe, but probably still available)

17. Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
18. Resident Evil: Code Veronic
19. Fur Fighters
20. Samba de Amigo (Need Maracas)

21. Seaman (Contains a Microphone)
22. Jet Grink Radio
23. Confidential Mission (Only if you own the guns and need someother reason to use them from--

24. House of the Dead 2
25. Crazy Taxi (1 and 2)

26. Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (I f'in loved this in the arcade)
27. Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram (I f'in loved this in the arcade)
28. Starlancer
29. Ikaruga
30. Toy Commander

31. Space Channel 5
32. Sega Smash Pack (Altered Beasts and the like! Another gun game!)
33. Ooga Booga
34. Project Justice

Good Worthy High Quality

35. Armada
36. Bangai-O
37. Capcom vs. SNK (2001 or whatever really for 5 bucks)
38. E.G.G. Elemental Gimmick Gear (this might be superior)
39. Gauntlet Legends (hey, if there is nothing else to do right?)
40. Gundam Side Story 0079

41. Heavy Metal: Geomatrix
42. Illbleed (reviews hated it, the players at (can I say this?) loved it)
43. Maken X
44. Record of Lodoss War
45. Tech Romancer (might be great)

bread's done
Back