Best Gaming Headphones - 360 and Ps3 and movies?

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Ok...I'm looking to get a gaming headset that I can use with my 360, PS3 and home theatre. Any recommendations? I see the Turtle Beach X41, but it does not appear to be PS3 unless you buy soemthing else.

So, any suggestions? Looking to use some Xmas money.

My setup at home is a home theatre with 5.1 currently w/Ps3, 360 and Wii (although, I could care less about the Wii). All my audio is running optical into my receiver (older ES receiver with no HDMI);.

Also looking for surround sound headphones.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the Tritton ax720 for a while now and am very happy. I've heard good things about the astro a40 too.

Thanks...I've been looking at that DSS thing from Turtle Beach: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1293654209&sr=1-1

Now, could I get that and the X11: http://www.amazon.com/Force-Amplifi..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293654231&sr=1-1

And have full surround sound? Also, my TV and RECEIVER both have an OPTICAL OUT, so, in theory, could I hook up the optical out from one of those components and just use that for the sound to the headphones?

Also, since I RARELY play online on the PS3, I would mainly be interested in using these for the 360, and the X11 have a talkback cable, correct?

I want to get the x11's but i dont think those have surround sound, but your movies/music will still sound great with them.

I got the cheaper pair of Tritton AX's for $50, they are awesome. Then again I've never heard anything out of a nice pair, but i'd never pay anything much over $100 for something like this so my opinion probably doesnt help much. I do like the Trittons though - easy to go back and forth between xbox and ps3 and even computer

[quote name='Evolancer13']I want to get the x11's but i dont think those have surround sound, but your movies/music will still sound great with them.[/QUOTE]

I think that DSS thing is supposed to give ANY headphones Surround Sound (although, it would be simulated Surround Sound since the headphones more than likely would not have the separate speakers inside).

I'm just looking to blow some Best Buy gift cards and some xmas money on something I normally wouldn't buy :)

Yeah, I'm leaning towards them...it appears they have TRUE 5.1 surround. Most just simulate it. I may wait for a sale/coupon now just to save some cash...I hate paying retail, even if I do have gift cards :)

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, I'm leaning towards them...it appears they have TRUE 5.1 surround. Most just simulate it. I may wait for a sale/coupon now just to save some cash...I hate paying retail, even if I do have gift cards :)[/QUOTE]

I watched these for several months at BB and they never went on sale. Ended up paying full retail but only because I had 80% of it paid for with gift cards and reward zone points. Good luck

I suggest going to BB and trying the headsets yourself, they have a turtle beach booth where you can test out 2 of their headsets. bring sterile wipes...

I am using the Turtle Beach PX21's and they are great for $80. Not Dolby but still really good sound. Plus it works on all high def systems and PC.

I was looking at the Turtle Beach also at Best Buy. Those seemed ok. I think if I got the ones with the DSS sound processor it might sound better. I did not see too much of a difference on the display of the X11 vs X41. Although, I was a bit sceeved out.

I have the TB HPA2s. I like them alot. They are comfy and sound great. I also have the Astro Mix amp. I had bought the PC version at GameStop. I ended up having to get the special xbox360 adaptor for the mixamp separate. The one that was made for the earlier version of the headphones.

I just upgraded... or maybe sideways-graded from the X11s to the X41s. The audio out of the X41s can be truly awesome with 7.1... but there are a couple annoyances that I am trying to get through with button placement and static creeping into the wifi signal. But since you are only interested in the X11s I will say that I quite liked the headphones for the price. The audio was pretty good, but is simple stereo, so if you want 5.1 or higher then you are done looking at them. They are comfortable, and the switch placement for chatting is on the wire with an LED, which is nice. There are a fair amount of wires involved (3 I believe) so it is a bit cluttering. If you are close to the TV there's no issue. Hopefully that helps, if you need more info just ask.

[quote name='kliiez8']I've been using the Tritton ax720 for a while now and am very happy. I've heard good things about the astro a40 too.[/QUOTE]
if you have tritton, theres no point in the astros. only thing about astros is that MLG uses them but theyre just WAY over priced when you can get the trittons for cheaper and just as good

[quote name='faceturd']I just upgraded... or maybe sideways-graded from the X11s to the X41s. The audio out of the X41s can be truly awesome with 7.1... but there are a couple annoyances that I am trying to get through with button placement and static creeping into the wifi signal. But since you are only interested in the X11s I will say that I quite liked the headphones for the price. The audio was pretty good, but is simple stereo, so if you want 5.1 or higher then you are done looking at them. They are comfortable, and the switch placement for chatting is on the wire with an LED, which is nice. There are a fair amount of wires involved (3 I believe) so it is a bit cluttering. If you are close to the TV there's no issue. Hopefully that helps, if you need more info just ask.[/QUOTE]

Thanks....I've heard that the wireless have interferance, so I was hesitant to get those. Also, I believe the X41 are Simulated Surround sound. I think it would almost be the same as the X11 with the DSS 5.1/7.1 adapter thing. I'll read those reviews

[quote name='doubledown']Thanks....I've heard that the wireless have interferance, so I was hesitant to get those. Also, I believe the X41 are Simulated Surround sound. I think it would almost be the same as the X11 with the DSS 5.1/7.1 adapter thing. I'll read those reviews[/QUOTE]

I believe you are right on all accounts. The more I reflect on it, the more I am not so happy about the purchase. Probably should have considered the DX11s more.

there are numerous fairly recent threads on this.

I dont think the axpro's are a great choice. IMO the ax720's are better. the pro's have good frequency range but the drivers just arent very good. the tb dx11 will sound nearly identical to the x41, barring any interference problems.

The hpa2s are great, especially when using the axpro amp or 5.1 out of your pc. the best gaming sound ive heard.

Im not a fan of tritton products. I have had two sets of ax180's, the mic went out on the first set. Ive also owned the ax720's and the axpros. the axpro mic went out within a few days of having them.

IMO their ergonomics are also lacking.

People talk like simulated surround in a headset is a bad thing. it does the job and in the case of the axpros it does it better than multiple driver earcups.

[quote name='doubledown']I picked up the x11 and the dss. Great sound, but I notice a hiss when it is quiet. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

are you using a wired controller?

[quote name='doubledown']Wireless controller. It even hisses when I am just listening to tv. I have the optical out from my receiver to the dss.[/QUOTE]
my guess is the toslink cable.

I would have highly recommended the x41s up until a few weeks ago. First annoyance is the inability to use DTS via the ps3. My surround sound is able to run DTS so i normally have it activated in the ps3 menus but have to go to sound settings if i ever want to use the headphones since the audio will not work with DTS activated.

My second issue is the customer service. 14months I got my X41s. A few weeks ago the RCA cables which i had my second xbox hooked up to the base station stopped working. My other xbox is lent out to a friend w/ an optical connector. After some testing for some reason no matter input device I put into the basestation via RCA, the headphones will not get audio. I sent an email to turtlebeach for some help about these dead RCA inputs on the basestation and their answer was "are your headphone batteries charged, maybe you should buy a optical dongle for you xbox". They really helped me out....

Pretty pissed about the service and needless to say my next pair of gaming headphones will not be through them. That being said they work pretty well up until the one rca input on the basestation died. I would buy another pair of headphones since u have a better chance of getting some decent customer service.

edit- didn't notice u bought the x11s already nvm. x.x;

naiku - I got the x41s recently for my xbox and get continual popping from interference at times... ever have that problem? Its to the point that I am considering an attempted swap for the DX-11s. They sound great when that isn't happening and I wasn't too psyched about moving the volume switch to the head set and not on the dongle (but thats more forgivable).

^ i get that when there is a lot of activity on the wireless network. My tv stand has the ps3, xbox, the x41 base station and wireless router. The consoles are hooked up via wired connection but if I have a download going on the laptop it will greatly interfere with the audio. I think the headphones are 2.4GHz, some new routers support dual band (2.4ghz & 5ghz ) so you could just run on a different frequency to not interfere. I used to run into that issue a lot but recently I haven't been using the laptop when im around the house so it hasn't been much of an issue.

If you can't prevent the wireless activity around your base station I would probably recommend getting those dx11s which I think are also optical input and wired. The base station is supposed to not be bothered by 802.11 wireless activity but no matter where i position the base station in my gaming room there is no way to reduce that interference.

It is really a shame to be totally drawn in to a game and then popcorn goes of in your ear. But luckily I am about to buy a new router so I'll look out for dual band support. Thanx a lot.

[quote name='faceturd']It is really a shame to be totally drawn in to a game and then popcorn goes of in your ear. But luckily I am about to buy a new router so I'll look out for dual band support. Thanx a lot.[/QUOTE]

placement of the transmitter is important. if you put it in the path your router s transmitting you will have problems. Try fooling around with different location. even inches can make a difference.

to the cag that mentioned customer service, yes tb cs sucks.

Thanx, I'll move it around as much as possible. Might be hard though, I am in an apartment building and there are wireless networks everywhere.

Also, random, is your avatar a music cover?

Yeah, I don't get interference with my x41's unless I bring my iPhone near them. Only problem I have is that when they lose power, it's really sudden, at least it was this first time it happened. Not good when you're in the middle of a match to be fumbling around for batteries during killcams.

My Xbox is wired directly to my router though, so that could be a factor. But the wireless network is on, and all my neighbors have wireless networks too (Also lives in an apartment).

[quote name='faceturd']Thanx, I'll move it around as much as possible. Might be hard though, I am in an apartment building and there are wireless networks everywhere.

Also, random, is your avatar a music cover?[/QUOTE]

it is, daisy ambum cover.

the popping can also come from a bad optical connection.

[quote name='doubledown']Apparently tb website said the hiss is normal. That is total bs. I upraded my toslink cable and it is a little better.[/QUOTE]

you shouldnt be hearign obnoxious hissing, that is indeed bs. hissing can be interference, ground loops cause it a lto in the headsets. the popping is a different kind of interference or bad optical connection.

Im no expert though.

I'm going to try another type of headphones with the dss to see if that matters. I suppose I can deal with a low hiss for multiplayer.

[quote name='doubledown']I'm going to try another type of headphones with the dss to see if that matters. I suppose I can deal with a low hiss for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

are you only getting the hiss when the comm cable is connected to the controller?

[quote name='paz9x']are you only getting the hiss when the comm cable is connected to the controller?[/QUOTE]

No, the hiss is always there. I plugged in my headset, and it hissed even with no audio running through the optical cable. It is not terribly annoying, but it is noticeable. When there is actual sound coming through, it basically goes away. Maybe it has to do with the fact that they are powered. I may try not plugging in the USB and see what happens.

hmmm was really looking to get those TB X41 since they are wireless, I currently have the TB X1 but the cables are annoying. Is there much of a difference between the "fake" 7.1 the X41 have and the TRUE 5.1 the Tritton offers? Is the difference like night and day? I want to get wireless to get ride of the wires but for the same price would rather get TRUE 5.1 headphones if the audio quality is really different

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey DLG - I am actually considering trying to trade my 1 month old xbox360 x41s ($170) for the wired DX11s ($130) or simply get the money equivalent to purchase the DX11s. I talk about why above, but the basic issue is that I can't get rid of interference from wireless networks in my apartment complex. If you would maybe be interested, send me a PM and we can talk.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']hmmm was really looking to get those TB X41 since they are wireless, I currently have the TB X1 but the cables are annoying. Is there much of a difference between the "fake" 7.1 the X41 have and the TRUE 5.1 the Tritton offers? Is the difference like night and day? I want to get wireless to get ride of the wires but for the same price would rather get TRUE 5.1 headphones if the audio quality is really different[/QUOTE]

no its not, some think the simulated surround is actually better.

bread's done
Back