Best GBA/GB games?

tdr32341

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey I just got a new job and I'm gonna have to ride the train to work, so I'm thinking about getting an SP. I want a DS, but its too big to keep in my pocket all day, so I have to go with the SP. But I have no idea what some of the best games are for it - I absolutely LOVE old school shooters, but pretty much anything else besides long RPGs will do. Any suggestions?

start yourself off with castlevanias (3 of them), metroids (2 of them), warioware megamicro games, ans astro boy.

none of those are games from the classic series.

[quote name='maxflight']start yourself off with castlevanias (3 of them), metroids (2 of them), warioware megamicro games, ans astro boy.

none of those are games from the classic series.[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up. I'll make one addition (Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3)

Metal Slug Advance is another good, old-school shooter for the GBA. In December, Metal Slug 1 will be released on the GBA, so if you pick up Metal Slug Advance and like it, be on the lookout for that one too.

There is no place at your job to stash a backpack? Given the choice between GameBoy Color compatibility and the growing DS selection, I'd lean towards the DS.

Some of the collections like the one from Konami that can often be found for $10 are a good way to have a bunch of games in one cart. Likewise for the Midway collection.

[quote name='maxflight']start yourself off with castlevanias (3 of them), metroids (2 of them), warioware megamicro games, ans astro boy.

none of those are games from the classic series.[/QUOTE]

Definitely these, and (as nachzeher said) Ninja Five-O. Plus, I'd include Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and/or Fire Emblem.

If it's made by Nintendo, then it should most definitely be picked up...

(Well, I've never actually played their Hamtaro games, but I've actually heard they are decent...go figure.)

[quote name='Rig'](Well, I've never actually played their Hamtaro games, but I've actually heard they are decent...go figure.)[/QUOTE]
I like them. :)

Anyway, if you're looking for old-school shooters on GBA, then there are several good choices. Gradius Galaxies, R-Type III, Xevious, and Iridion II are all great choices. If you're looking for side-scrolling, on-foot shooters/platformers, try Metal Slug Advance (and the upcoming port of Metal Slug 1), as well as CT Special Forces, which is basically a Metal Slug clone.

Games I love -

Tetris DX
Mario (Bros. DX, World, Yoshi's Island, 3, vs. Donkey Kong)
Zelda (Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, Link's Awakening, Link to the Past, Minish Cap, Classic)
Castlevania (Harmony of Dissonance, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow)
Metroid (Fusion, Zero Mission)
Chu Chu Rocket
Wario Ware, Inc.

I definitely suggest Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)

And if you like that, check out some of the older ones:

Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC)
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons GBC)
Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)

I'd reiterate:

Metroid (Fusion or Zero Mission)
Castlevania (any of the three)
Warioware (includes a version of the tetris-like puzzle game Dr. Mario)

I'd also add:

Warioland 4 (you can get this cheap used at EBgames.com)
Klonoa
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge for GBC (also really cheap at ebgames.com, when in stock)

and people tend to love Advance Wars (original or 2)

I can't believe that no one's mentioned Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's a sorta RPG with actiony elements in the Super Mario RPG / Paper Mario series. I can't stand long RPGs, but Mario & Luigi SS is more or less my favorite GBA game.
A warning about Zelda: The Minish Cap - I went through the game in something like six or seven hours. It's seriously, *seriously* short.

[quote name='masterh']I can't believe that no one's mentioned Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. It's a sorta RPG with actiony elements in the Super Mario RPG / Paper Mario series. I can't stand long RPGs, but Mario & Luigi SS is more or less my favorite GBA game.
A warning about Zelda: The Minish Cap - I went through the game in something like six or seven hours. It's seriously, *seriously* short.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually happier with shorter games as long as it's very high quality. the latest zelda fits this bill.

The best game i have ever played for the GBA is Fire Emblem. This game is so addiciting. I like it way more than Golden Sun.

advance wars 2
tetris dx(hard to find)
game and watch gallery 1.2.3
super mario world(advance 2 i think)
super mario 3 aint the best the saving system ruins it
aria of sorrow(really short by great)
mario and luigi superstar saga
and any zelda game(IMO cept for 2)

Hey one more question --- I was looking on ebay, and theres lots of cheap games that ship from asia --- are those pretty much all bootlegs, or are they legit? They seem to have good feedback, but I don't know.

Non-RPG
-----------
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
MegaMan Zero series (hard, but good)
MegaMan Battle Network series (I even liked Battle Chip Challenge, but I'm weird)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

RPG
--------------------
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: the Lost Age

[quote name='tdr32341']Hey one more question --- I was looking on ebay, and theres lots of cheap games that ship from asia --- are those pretty much all bootlegs, or are they legit? They seem to have good feedback, but I don't know.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't chance it...

ok so if i do get scammed and get a bootleg off ebay, will it still work? i mean i'd rather have the real game, but will it mess up my gba or anything?

[quote name='tdr32341']ok so if i do get scammed and get a bootleg off ebay, will it still work? i mean i'd rather have the real game, but will it mess up my gba or anything?[/QUOTE]

not only will be a waste of your money, it will most likely crap out...the battery will die or is dead...and you are supporting this illegal behavior just to save a few dollars. There is a big difference between being cheap and crossing the line.

Some good games for GBA:

CT special forces 2 (very good if you like metal slug)
Sonic Advance (1,2 or 3)
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Metroid (Fusion/Zero Mission)
Fire Pro Wrestling (I've seen it for about $5 at gamecrazy)
Super mario advance 2-4
F-Zero (either one)
Krazy Racers
Metal Slug
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Pokemon Leaf green/Fire red
Pokemon pinball
Warioware mega microgame$
Super monkey ball

Some GBC games

Kirby tilt n' tumble
Super mario brothers deluxe
Pokemon Pinball

There are a bunch of excellent RPG on GBA:
- Golden Sun 1 and 2
- Fire Emblem
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Excellent strategy games:
- Advance Wars 1 and 2

Since everybody recommending Metroid titles is recommending both, I'd like to throw out my opinion on the 2. Zero Mission is definitely the better of the 2 games. Fusion has the best story, but it makes the game linear. In terms of pick up and play for a few minutes (or however long your train ride is), I think Zero Mission would be the better bet for you.

And if you're into puzzle, Mario's Picross for the original GameBoy is one of my favorite puzzle games.

I recommend the ebay route also. About a month ago i bought a GBASP from a coworker for $35 and have picked up Zelda 1 and 2 remakes, Metal Slug GBA, Tetris Dx and Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Gradius Galaxies i got from EBgames.com, all are fun games. Ebay is the cheapest place around just avoid the asia guys and buy from people who dont sell lots of games and the people who rape you on shipping. You dont want a bootleg and if your choosey about when you bid you can get good deals.

Metroid Fusion is somewhat worth if if you're a fan, because storywise it somewhat bridges the gap between Super Metroid and the Prime seies. Kind of. Hard to totally say.

Must support the recommendations for:
Castlevania series (Awesome Symphony of the Night-esque goodness)
Golden Sun 1 and 2 (fun, old school RPGs)
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (excellent Mario RPG series game with a fun gimmick)
Advance Wars 2 (gave me far more hours of entertainment than I ever expected)
Pokemon Pinball for GBC (haven't Played the GBA one, but I liked this. Plus it's only like a $2 and you can easily use it to get SAVER shipping on EBGames)

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Metroid Fusion is somewhat worth if if you're a fan, because storywise it somewhat bridges the gap between Super Metroid and the Prime seies. Kind of. Hard to totally say.

Must support the recommendations for:
Castlevania series (Awesome Symphony of the Night-esque goodness)
Golden Sun 1 and 2 (fun, old school RPGs)
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (excellent Mario RPG series game with a fun gimmick)
Advance Wars 2 (gave me far more hours of entertainment than I ever expected)
Pokemon Pinball for GBC (haven't Played the GBA one, but I liked this. Plus it's only like a $2 and you can easily use it to get SAVER shipping on EBGames)[/QUOTE]

I believe metroid zero mission is the one that bridges the gap between metroid 1 and prime. I'm pretty sure prime comes before super metroid and I think metroid 2 as well.

fusion comes after super metroid which is well after prime chronologically.

[quote name='maxflight']I believe metroid zero mission is the one that bridges the gap between metroid 1 and prime. I'm pretty sure prime comes before super metroid and I think metroid 2 as well.

fusion comes after super metroid which is well after prime chronologically.[/QUOTE]

You're closer to correct here. Zero Mission tells the same story (more or less) that the NES Metroid does. Prime happens directly after Metroid (Zero Mission). I'm not sure where Echoes falls in the timeline; I haven't played it yet.

From what I understand, Fusion happens after Super Metroid.

Not that any of this really matters. Metroid is more about fun than story (at least for me).

[quote name='jclast']You're closer to correct here. Zero Mission tells the same story (more or less) that the NES Metroid does. Prime happens directly after Metroid (Zero Mission). I'm not sure where Echoes falls in the timeline; I haven't played it yet.

From what I understand, Fusion happens after Super Metroid.

Not that any of this really matters. Metroid is more about fun than story (at least for me).[/QUOTE]

yeah, I was assuming that people knew zero mission was a remake/remix + space pirate stuff. but you're definitely correct.

I just gotta say. that space pirate portion of the game was frustrating as well. but it felt sooooo good kicking their sorry asses afterwards.

bread's done
Back