Best gun game for Wii?

James in VA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just picked up a Resident Evil Blaster gun on an Amazon Deal of the Day. I'm also new to the Wii (got it for my wife with Wii Fit). I'm more of a 360 gamer. That said, what are the best gun games for the Wii? All things equal, I'd prefer titles $20 and under. Thanx! :)

Resident Evil 4 is a good choice if you haven't played it to death already. I played the GC version and then a while down the road I picked up the Wii version and the controls are just so much better.

House of the Dead 2 & 3
is good in addition to Overkill (plus the voice acting and writing in HotD2 is legendary).

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles isn't bad, and the newest iteration (Darkside Chronicles) has been received fairly well. I also really enjoyed Dead Space Extraction, though it's not quite at the $20 mark. It can be bought used at GameStop though for $25.

All of those except RE: Darkside Chronicles can pretty easily be bought at ~$20, some of them much closer to $10. I also need to second the Perfect Shot. It feels great, has a Nunchuk attachment at the base of the handle, and is probably the closest a purely plastic peripheral can come to doing something worthwhile.

It seems everyone else has the games side of things covered. As for a second light gun, the Perfect Shot is great if you have some big manhands. But the Nerf gun is much better, in my opinion, but it has a very short handle. If you're that guy from the Burger King commercial who can't hold a double cheeseburger, or if you want a gun for your wife, I wholeheartedly recommend the Nerf gun. Otherwise, get a Perfect Shot as your second.

There's also this which theoretically would be amazing: http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Wand-Acti..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1267765635&sr=8-3 It's basically a reworked Perfect Shot that uses a special port on that wiimote to shoot without actually pressing a button. Just pull the trigger and it will register as a shot, unlike the other light guns, that need to mechanically press the B button.

I am wondering if the Nyko Wand Action Packs will get a motion plus upgrade. The digital trigger versus the analog sounds great, along with the "B" button on the handle as well.

I know Nyko is planning a Wand+ that has WM+ built in or something like that. However, I don't think that any light gun games would use + to begin with so I don't think that they'll release a Wand+ Action Pak. Unless of course, the demand is high enough for it.

[quote name='Chronis']I know Nyko is planning a Wand+ that has WM+ built in or something like that. However, I don't think that any light gun games would use + to begin with so I don't think that they'll release a Wand+ Action Pak. Unless of course, the demand is high enough for it.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overkill is the best. Here's a slightly out of date list of all of them.

Wii railshooters order of coolness:

HotD: Overkill
Ghost Squad
Wild West Guns
RE: Umbrella Chronicles
Link's Crossbow Training
Wii Play
NERF N-Strike
---Need to play---
RE: Darkside Chronicles
HotD 2 & 3
Target: Terror (for the lulz)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (2 and TV Party too?)
Ultimate Duck Hunting or some shit

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Didn't they also release a Mad Mccree Collection?[/QUOTE]
That is why it is out of date.

Newer list of Wii railshooters in order of coolness:

HotD: Overkill
Ghost Squad
Wild West Guns
RE: Umbrella Chronicles
Link's Crossbow Training
Wii Play (Can shooting)
NERF N-Strike
---Need to play---
RE: Darkside Chronicles
Mad Dog McCree
HotD 2 & 3
Target: Terror
Dead Space: Extraction
Boom Blox (Shooting)
Boom Blox: Bash Party (Shooting)
Carnival Games (Shooting)
Rayman Raving Rabbids
MoH: H2 (Arcade Mode)
Ultimate Duck Hunting
Nerf: N-Strike Elite

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Didn't they also release a Mad Mccree Collection?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Target has them.

Of course, if u buy it and admit it, we may have to make fun of you.

I can vouch for HOTD: Overkill, pretty fun IMO. However, there is a lot of profanity and some possibly offensive stuff so keep that in mind if that could affect you, otherwise, good stuff especially the mini-games and the fact that you can dual-wield after you've unlocked that ability.

The DeadSpace game seemed alright too but I've heard it was on the short side...

[quote name='Nirron']Resident Evil 4 is a good choice if you haven't played it to death already. I played the GC version and then a while down the road I picked up the Wii version and the controls are just so much better.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would call RE4 a gun game. Maybe I couldn't figure out how to play correctly, but it seems pretty incompatible with any gun shells, since you need to press that A button so often.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Short? Isn't House of the Dead two hours long?[/QUOTE]

I think overkill took me around 3 hours. Dead Space took me 5 hours even.

But, Dead Space was really slow paced, so I have no interest in ever playing it again. (It was fun the first time, but no replayability imo) (there is a challenge mode, so its not all negative)

Overkill is the kind of game I just keep going back too so I can almost forgive its short playtime. But yes, it is short.

[quote name='Kaoz']
Overkill is the kind of game I just keep going back too so I can almost forgive its short playtime. But yes, it is short.[/QUOTE]Ghost squad is even shorter, but man did I ever play that 50 times over

[quote name='maigoyume']Ghost squad is even shorter, but man did I ever play that 50 times over[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for a good deal on Ghost Squad - anyone seen it for under $15?

I agree... Ghost Squad is awesome. Plus, the unlockable costumes are full of win!

Anyone actually try the Buckshot shotgun wiimote attachments? Any opinions?

[quote name='waxHead']I've been looking for a good deal on Ghost Squad - anyone seen it for under $15?[/QUOTE]If you use goozex its going for 150 points right now

[quote name='maigoyume']If you use goozex its going for 150 points right now[/QUOTE]

And you'll only be 11th in line with no one offering the game too.

Goozex can be good, but often when the prices are low, none are available. To this day I don't have any idea how they figure out prices, because many times a game will have no offers at all, and then at the next cycle they'll lower the price further. If goozex's pricing made any sense it would be much more valuable (though, yes, you can get good deals, and good value for games in some cases.)

The Nyko Wand + gun thing seems like a good idea, but I'll never buy it given my experience with their nunchuck and classic controller alternatives - they are both pieces of junk that die an early death and/or just perform poorly, specifically their triggers/shoulder buttons. Poor design results in them getting sticky and/or not operating smoothly. My advice is to stick with an official remote and Perfect Shot. It works well and the perfect shot is cheap.

[quote name='crunchewy']And you'll only be 11th in line with no one offering the game too.

Goozex can be good, but often when the prices are low, none are available. To this day I don't have any idea how they figure out prices, because many times a game will have no offers at all, and then at the next cycle they'll lower the price further. If goozex's pricing made any sense it would be much more valuable (though, yes, you can get good deals, and good value for games in some cases.)[/QUOTE]Unless you're in a hurry to get the game goozex is fine. I just put it on my want list and let it sit until I get a match. Not like I need to have most games right away. However if waxhead wants it badly he can find it at gamestop for $14.99 new or $12.99 used.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=ghost%20squad

[quote name='maigoyume']Unless you're in a hurry to get the game goozex is fine. I just put it on my want list and let it sit until I get a match. Not like I need to have most games right away.[/QUOTE]

At the risk, though, that you'll get it when the price has gone up, perhaps even higher then you intended to pay. I only get things from goozex that are available immediately as a result. And again, I have gotten games cheap this way, but it's pretty much all older games that nobody wants anymore, but I haven't played yet.

[quote name='maigoyume']Unless you're in a hurry to get the game goozex is fine. I just put it on my want list and let it sit until I get a match. Not like I need to have most games right away. However if waxhead wants it badly he can find it at gamestop for $14.99 new or $12.99 used.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=ghost%20squad[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this, I've been debating getting it from Gamestop ever since I noticed they dropped it to $14.99 for the recent sale. But I keep wondering if it'll drop to $10 (or less) in the near future - that's always my breaking point.

Plus, I just bought Persona PSP for just over $15 from Amazon today... ;)

[quote name='maigoyume']If you use goozex its going for 150 points right now[/QUOTE]

I don't use Goozex, but thanks for the suggestion! :cool:

[quote name='GenPirate']What gun is best for the wiimote? The reviews on the Perfect Shot were a tad low...[/QUOTE]

I have two of the Umbrella Chronicles guns and I love 'em. Haven't used the Perfect Shot, but I don't think I'd bother after having used these to play through HOTD Overkill. Two of my favorite things about the gun are the option to have the nunchuk attached or not, and the extra compartment to hold the wrist strap.

Yeah, the only problem with the Perfect Shot is that it doesn't do anything for the wrist strap. I have to run it out the top, but it's not really a problem once you get over that it looks sort of stupid. :) I've got a copy of HotD:2&3 which I haven't played yet. I need to get to that sometime soon....

I have to say I disagree with anyone concerned about the quality of the Nyko Wand being poor. Sure, Nyko has not had the best rep in the past, but the Wand has received almost unanimous positive reviews since its debut from the big review sites, and I have to agree that it is one of the nicer pieces of 3rd party gear I have purchased in my many years of gaming.

I've been very happy with the whole Nyko Action Pak (Wand plus digital pistol grip). The Wand has gotten a good work out from everyone in my family (all gamers) and it has worked toe-to-toe with the Wiimote. The pistol grip uses digital tech instead of mechanical/analog, so the trigger action is very easy and very smooth. The wrist strap can be left on your Wand, as there is a slot for it on either side of the grip once it is attached. For $20 @ Kmart I think it is a steal and a safe purchase, especially for the cost conscious.

[quote name='GenPirate']What gun is best for the wiimote? The reviews on the Perfect Shot were a tad low...[/QUOTE]

I've got two Perfect Shots and I love them. The only problem is wrist straps and the fact that it's a little front heavy with the remote in.

I hope sometime in the future there will be some kind of light gun collection. HotD 2&3 are great, but I want a disk with the Area 51 games, Crypt Killer, Lethal Enforcers, Maximum Force, Vampire Night, and motherloving CarnEvil. Or just a collection of the Point Blank games. I can't imagine it would be too expensive to do.

[quote name='whiptcracker']I've got two Perfect Shots and I love them. The only problem is wrist straps and the fact that it's a little front heavy with the remote in.

[/QUOTE]

Same here. I have to remove the wrist straps everytime I want use my Perfect Shots. Kind of a pain, really.

I remember seeing pics from another CAGer somewhere on this site that took a dremel to his Perfect Shot, and carved a notch in the side for the wrist strap to hang out of. Hmm...that might be my next home craft project.

And seriously...House of the Dead Overkill. That game is so wrong, so over the top, filled with profanities...that's its wonderful. It also has a very disturbing ending. One of the best bargain games out there, just make sure you put the kids to bed first and take out Grandma's hearing aid!

The House of the Dead Hand Cannon is insane if you like a comfortable big gun it rules for nunchuck and non nunchuck shooters, ( the perfect shot squeaks and has a square grip)
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles is by FAR a superior experience to Umbrella Chronicles just don't try to play either with the stinking nunchuck holding Wii Zapper
Medal of Honor2 is a great non rails shooter, haven't tried COD REFLEX but it is supposed to be pretty good.

Well, not to bring this thread back up, but I got Ghost Squad and the Nyko Action Pak over the last week. And I gave them a little test run. The Action Pak seems like the best gun so far, hands down. The grip is the perfect size, not that monstrousity that is the Perfect Shot, and not the grip meant for a 3-year-old that the Nerf gun has. Plus, with the digital trigger, everything registers instantly. Plus, it also has another button built in as the fake hammer, and that and the trigger can be switched between A and B on a switch under the grip. Overall, I'm loving it, but I haven't really gone through a rigorous testing of it.

[quote name='Chronis']The Action Pak seems like the best gun so far, hands down. [/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. And with many Kmarts still stocking these for $19.99 this is a steal with the Wand included. And, the Wand is the 2nd gen motion plus compatible one.

bread's done
Back