Best HD-DVD Player?

lolwut?

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)
I'm looking to pick up an HD-DVD player and I'd like to know which I should be going for. Not really looking to get the 360 add-on, so stand alone units only! Thanks in advance :D

Toshiba XA2 is from what I have heard the best stand alone HD DVD player. I suggest eBay as some come with a good amount of HD DVDs. I think one had around 50 HD DVDs that came with it.

XA-2 is the best, yes. Though, it commands a premium price, if you can find one.

Next from there would be the A30 and A35, though A35 wasn't available in any decent quantity. A30 is a hard one to track down.

A3 and A2 would be further down the pipe, and easier to find. Not as good as the above ones, though still pretty good.

AVSForum.com can give you all the gory details.

IN this order:

XA2
HD-A30/35/Onkyo HD 805
HD-A20
HD-XA1
HD-A3/Venturer 2000
HD-A2

The XA2 is a beast of a machine. Uses the Reon processor for upscaling and it makes SD DVD's just look phenominal. Hard to find at a low price now. Got mine right after Toshiba quit from U bid for $239 as a "refurb". Machine had zero issues and the remote and unit itself still had the plastic on them.

You can also still find the Samsung 5000 and the LG 200. These are combo players that can do both BluRAy and HD DVD. The LG was on clearance at Best BUy a couple months ago for sub $200.

Do any of the higher end ones XA2, A30 have faster bootup speeds than the A3?

That's always been my greatest frustration for that model.

I'm one of the few lucky enough to have an XA2 and I definitely think it was worth the price of admission. I've seen them on Ebay for between 200-300 bucks and I'd say it's worth it for sure. If you don't want to drop that much on a player, the A35 is solid as well. I'd avoid anything below the A30 line, as at that point you may as well just buy the 360 add on for like 30 bucks or whatever. That's not a knock on the 360 add-on either, as I've gotten a ton of use out of it. It's just really not that much different than other lower-end HD DVD players. Hell, in some ways it is better...it's smaller and doesn't seem to have the compatiblity problems that other players had.

The big problem with the 360 add-on is you don't get the higher quality sound, you're stuck with whatever you can get via optical, whereas even the cheapest standalones would output TrueHD, etc, as multichannel PCM over HDMI.

In that sense, ANY standalone is better than the 360 add-on if you have the receiver/TV to support audio over HDMI. If you're still using an optical cable (or L/R analog stereo!) there's no real difference.

I don't think the higher end players are any faster starting up than the lower end ones. I scored an A35 very randomly right as players were being blown out and it's about the same as the A3 I had before. I wish I would've just jumped in and gotten an XA2, though...!

I have an A3 which I think ended up costing me about $50 after it was all said and done plus 7 free movies. The biggest downside with this player is that it only outputs 1080i or 720p and doesn't display in 1080p. My Optoma HD70 projector only displays 720p (it downconverts 1080i or 1080p) so that wasn't a big deal to me at the time. The upconversion on regular DVD's is really good on this player, at least as good as the PS3, although not as good as my Oppo. Takes maybe 40 seconds to boot up though which seems about the norm on HD-DVD players.

I also have the Xbox add on as well, but I don't use it much as the A3 runs much more quietly than the Xbox 360.

Depends on your budget - if you can pick up an XA2 for under $200, that's a steal. Getting an A3 for under $50 or the A35 for under $100 is still a good deal, especially if you're able to bargain hunt for HD-DVD's for under $5 these days.

[quote name='mick16']I have an A3 which I think ended up costing me about $50 after it was all said and done plus 7 free movies. The biggest downside with this player is that it only outputs 1080i or 720p and doesn't display in 1080p. My Optoma HD70 projector only displays 720p (it downconverts 1080i or 1080p) so that wasn't a big deal to me at the time. The upconversion on regular DVD's is really good on this player, at least as good as the PS3, although not as good as my Oppo. Takes maybe 40 seconds to boot up though which seems about the norm on HD-DVD players.

I also have the Xbox add on as well, but I don't use it much as the A3 runs much more quietly than the Xbox 360.

Depends on your budget - if you can pick up an XA2 for under $200, that's a steal. Getting an A3 for under $50 or the A35 for under $100 is still a good deal, especially if you're able to bargain hunt for HD-DVD's for under $5 these days.[/quote]You won't find a XA-2 for under $200. I was lucky when I found the one I did for $300, as every other one I found on the Internet was $800 or more, new or used. A35 was a hard one to find new or used before they stopped production, and was very hard to find after the fact.

If you were going to find one out on the Internet, it's likely to be a A2 or a A3, and those would probably be the "reasonably" priced units.

I have the A3 and it is pretty decent however it does take a while to boot up and it does not pass bitstream audio over HDMI only PCM. Something to consider.

I picked up a A30 for $16 at an auction 2 months ago. It's nice, but it seems to take forever to boot up. Is that normal for these players?

[quote name='erehwon']I picked up a A30 for $16 at an auction 2 months ago. It's nice, but it seems to take forever to boot up. Is that normal for these players?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by "forever." They definitely do not boot as fast as regular DVD players, if that's what you mean. I have limited experience with standalone players, but I can tell you for sure the 360 add-on boots faster than the XA2 I have. I have a feeling what you're experiencing is probably normal.

I have both the A3 and the xbox add-on.
The xbox add-on is much quicker at starting most discs.
On the other hand the A3 is much quieter due to the loud xbox 360.
The A3 essentialy only cost me about $50.00 with ten movies so it was a very worthy purchase. It also upconverts nicely.

I just trolled E-bay for average completed auction prices. Looks like $150 for the A35, $275 for the XA2 (although somebody got one for $175) and maybe $70 for the A3 (prices were all over the place on these).

Its strange, it seems as though the prices of these units are actually appreciating over time compared to what they were being dumped at when they first announced HD-DVD's demise.

Not really. I was seeing the XA2 go for 500-1000 with no HD DVDs used/new around a month or so after they stopped HD DVDs.

I need a HD DVD player as well. I am sick of only being able to watch them on my computer (i have the HD DVD add on but no 360). Will the lower end (ventura or whatever) ones play DVD+R's too? I looked at the equivalent toshiba model and it didn't list them but sometimes they will play them anyway. Thanks!

[quote name='sendme']Hold on so TruHD audio only goes over HDMI? I thought you got it over digital optical.[/QUOTE]

You'll get the core through optical but not the full TrueHD.

[quote name='JaroldL']i have a sony. don't know what the model is (sorry im not tech savvy) but it looks great.[/QUOTE]

Say what.........I think your getting your HD formats confused.

[quote name='sendme']Not really. I was seeing the XA2 go for 500-1000 with no HD DVDs used/new around a month or so after they stopped HD DVDs.[/quote]That was why I was happy to score my refurb for $299 a couple of days after the announcement went out, and it was pretty much new.

Go to your local pawn shop. I got a a2 and a30, yes a30, for $80. Both came with remotes and power cables, I had to buy the hdmi cables separately (yay monoprice!). I also saw the a35 at the same pawn shop the following week, but I didnt get it. I regret buying it since it was only $35 :(

XA2 has 1080p/24 capabilities if your display can display it. The 5.1 analog audio outputs will allow you to get TrueHD if you have an older receiver that has a multi-channel analog input but no HDMI. The remote is backlit and as mentioned, uses the Reon HQV processing chip for upscaling DVDs.

If you didn't need the upconversion or analog audio outputs then the A30 or A35 could be found cheaper.

No other HD players come close to XA2 in terms of build & picture quality. I sold mine few months ago on eBay and damn, I still miss it. I bought Panny BD55 and upscaling of this player is nowhere as good as XA2. If you can score it in good condition under $300, go for it. You can also stack up HD DVDs that are dirt cheap now.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GizmoGC']You'll get the core through optical but not the full TrueHD.[/QUOTE]

So you would run it through both?

[quote name='shrike4242']That was why I was happy to score my refurb for $299 a couple of days after the announcement went out, and it was pretty much new.[/QUOTE]

I wish I would have bought one when they announced the death of HD however I am happy with my BH200. May not have the quality of the XA2 and a stand allown BD player but works fine for me.

[quote name='sendme']Not really. I was seeing the XA2 go for 500-1000 with no HD DVDs used/new around a month or so after they stopped HD DVDs.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the A3's. Should have been more specific, my bad. The XA2 was way out of my price range. when I was in the HD-DVD player market.

I wish I would have bought a A35 instead of the A3 in hindsight due to the HDMI sound limitations on the A3, but as all of my HD-DVD's are only Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital +, I'm not sure the surround sound difference is that substantial.

[quote name='sendme']Hold on so TruHD audio only goes over HDMI? I thought you got it over digital optical.[/quote]
You need HDMI to listen to Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. The best you'll get with optical is Dolby Digital or standard DTS.

[quote name='tokerblue']You need HDMI to listen to Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. The best you'll get with optical is Dolby Digital or standard DTS.[/quote]
You can also get TruHD via the 5.1 analog audio outputs of the XA2 and the A35, I think the A35 has them. Of course your receiver or pre/pro must also have a 5.1 analog audio input. Many of them do.

As for DTS MA, I can't recall any HD DVDs that were released with that codec. It is slowly making it's way on more Blu-Ray releases.

I think Pan's Labyrinth may have had DTS-HD or -MA on HD-DVD, I can't remember. Or possibly the import of it. But yeah, the number is in the single digits, I believe.

The A35 does have analog 5.1 outputs. It can't decode DTS-HD over them, but can do TrueHD which works very well.

[quote name='Justin42']I think Pan's Labyrinth may have had DTS-HD or -MA on HD-DVD, I can't remember. Or possibly the import of it. But yeah, the number is in the single digits, I believe.

The A35 does have analog 5.1 outputs. It can't decode DTS-HD over them, but can do TrueHD which works very well.[/QUOTE]

Pans is DTS MA on HD DVD. The one and only mainstream title with it in America. There are a few opera HD DVDs with DTS MA as well....but I didn't know thy existed until a few months ago. Tons of imports have DTS MA though.

I found a Toshiba A3 in box (w/ remote but no HDMI cable) locally with the following HD DVDs for $100.

* Phantom of the Opera
* Pride and Pejudice
* Elizabeth - The Golden Age
* U2: Rattle and Hum
* Hot Fuzz
* Shrek the Third
* Mr. Bean's Holiday
* Bourne Identity
* We Are Marshall
* Discovery HD Theater: Planet Earth (4 Disc US Version)

Is that a decent deal?

[quote name='sendme']Hold on so TruHD audio only goes over HDMI? I thought you got it over digital optical.[/quote]

No - Only TrueHD goes as DD over optical, 640kbps. However, if it's DTS-MA or whatever the DTS HD format it, it will go 1.5mbps.

Optical has a very wide spread for speed, however no formats utilize it. If you want high end audio, you need an HDMI audio capable receiver.

[quote name='deluxeg']I have the A3 and it is pretty decent however it does take a while to boot up and it does not pass bitstream audio over HDMI only PCM. Something to consider.[/quote]

Nope, not true.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion/26173-hd-a3-bitstream-pcm.html

As for me, I have the A3 and it's a nice player. Not great, but nice. Good for what it does. I wanted to get the A35, but for the headache and price different, I can just pop for a better receiver that passes HDMI audio.

The analog inputs wouldn't help me with anything OTHER than the A3, so I would have spent more on the A35 and still needed an HDMI audio capable receiver for my PS3, etc.

[quote name='Staind204']I found a Toshiba A3 in box (w/ remote but no HDMI cable) locally with the following HD DVDs for $100.

* Phantom of the Opera
* Pride and Pejudice
* Elizabeth - The Golden Age
* U2: Rattle and Hum
* Hot Fuzz
* Shrek the Third
* Mr. Bean's Holiday
* Bourne Identity
* We Are Marshall
* Discovery HD Theater: Planet Earth (4 Disc US Version)

Is that a decent deal?[/QUOTE]

It didn't come with an HDMI cable .

It's probably a better deal than buying just an upscaler .
If it looks immaculate I'd go for it , especially if you're able to get the Kroger HD DVDs .

[quote name='andsoitgoes']No - Only TrueHD goes as DD over optical, 640kbps. However, if it's DTS-MA or whatever the DTS HD format it, it will go 1.5mbps.

Optical has a very wide spread for speed, however no formats utilize it. If you want high end audio, you need an HDMI audio capable receiver.

Nope, not true.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion/26173-hd-a3-bitstream-pcm.html

As for me, I have the A3 and it's a nice player. Not great, but nice. Good for what it does. I wanted to get the A35, but for the headache and price different, I can just pop for a better receiver that passes HDMI audio.

The analog inputs wouldn't help me with anything OTHER than the A3, so I would have spent more on the A35 and still needed an HDMI audio capable receiver for my PS3, etc.[/QUOTE]

So for all my audio I should go through HDMI and not even bother with Digital Optical?

[quote name='Richlough']It didn't come with an HDMI cable .

It's probably a better deal than buying just an upscaler .
If it looks immaculate I'd go for it , especially if you're able to get the Kroger HD DVDs .[/QUOTE]

Do you know if this player will do DVD+R's? It doesn't say so in the specs but I know some players will still play them even if they aren't listed. Thanks!

[quote name='Staind204']Do you know if this player will do DVD+R's? It doesn't say so in the specs but I know some players will still play them even if they aren't listed. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I don't know , I have an A30 .

[quote name='sendme']So for all my audio I should go through HDMI and not even bother with Digital Optical?[/quote]

If your receiver supports it, hell yes! :)

You can get 24mbps with DTS MA!!

Versus the max output of 1.5mbps through optical, and 640k for any DD format

And regarding the speeds of the different formats:

according to DTS/ Dolby:

DTS HD up to (6.0 mbps) on blu-ray/ HDMI1.3/ analog inputs with decoder

DTS HD up to (1.5 mbps) on blu-ray/optical or coaxial

DTS (768 mbps) standard dvd/optical or coaxial

DTS MA up to (24 mbps)on blu-ray/HDMI1.3/ analog with decoder

Dolby TrueHD (18 mbps)on blu-ray/HDMI 1.3/ analog with decoder

Dolby Digital Plus (6 mbps )on blue-ray/HDMI 1.3/analog inputs with decoder

uncompressed liner PCM up to (40 mbps) some claim

P.S.
Blu-ray defininitly sounds better than standard dvd in any format

From

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1000251

Good info there.

I went and looked my box for my A30 and it does not support DVD+ or DVD+R .
I've never bought DVD+ blanks , always DVD- due to their b etter compatibility .

Why do people even use DVD+ , because of this ?

[quote name='Richlough']I went and looked my box for my A30 and it does not support DVD+ or DVD+R .
I've never bought DVD+ blanks , always DVD- due to their b etter compatibility .

Why do people even use DVD+ , because of this ?[/QUOTE]

Back when I first started making DVDs, I had better luck with the +R's. I guess I can always just use my PS3 to watch these since up converting them wouldn't do much good anyway.

bread's done
Back