Best HD TV I can get for around $250?

MetalBuu

CAG Veteran
I'm trying to get an HD TV before I move into my dorm at the end of the month. Budget is the only factor. I can only afford to spend $250 or less. I know this wont get me a big screen but I was wondering what brand I should go for and where I should get it at.

With only $250 you'd be better off buying a computer monitor. If you go the TV route, 19 inches is about the best you'll be able to do.

Yeah save up some more cash and go for something around $350. Look for 720p. It will look great and you'll get a larger tv for your $$$.

Does the user need a TV tuner? TV tuner raises the cost quite a bit and is usually overrated. As long as you have a DVD player that has HDMI outputs, you can run anything (cable, VCR, video games) through the DVD player. I double the comment to get a computer monitor. I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009167 and am overall impressed with it.

The speakers are alot louder than I thought and are useable. Obviously they are not HD sound but what do you expect for $220. At 24" this is about the biggest you'll get for that $ and with 2 ms you'll never see ghosting in gaming. It's 1080p and I have 2 Acer monitors now and neither had any dead pixels. If you need a TV tuner you've probably have to go up in price to $300+ and may have to drop to 720p.

[quote name='ELUNO']It also doesn't have a TV tuner...[/QUOTE]

You dont need a tuner these days dumbass, thats what the box is for. Have you heard of DVI?

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']You dont need a tuner these days dumbass, thats what the box is for. Have you heard of DVI?[/QUOTE]
He does need a tuner if he plans on watching TV. Since he's moving into a dorm, he won't have access to a cable box. The only way he will be able to watch TV is with a coax cable, so yes he will need a tuner.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite'] If you need a TV tuner you've probably have to go up in price to $300+ and may have to drop to 720p.[/QUOTE]
NOT TRUE. Look at the TV I posted.

[quote name='jeffpm']NOT TRUE. Look at the TV I posted.[/QUOTE]

It's certainly a good tv and one he should strongly consider if he does need a tv tuner. I'm just concerned because it's more of a hybrid resolution between 1080p and 720p which means that if his main use is as a TV, there with always be scaling. With a good scaler, it shouldn't make too much of a difference, but 1080p is 1920x1080, 720p is 1366x768, and this monitor will scale resolutions to 1650x927. The second thing to consider, if it's important to him, is that this monitor doesn't use the VESA standard so he won't be able to wall mount the TV.

[quote name='jeffpm']He does need a tuner if he plans on watching TV. Since he's moving into a dorm, he won't have access to a cable box. The only way he will be able to watch TV is with a coax cable, so yes he will need a tuner.[/QUOTE]

Most DVD players should accept a cable signal. The cable input on my old TV broke off, it didn't affect me because I always ran my cable through my dvd player anyway. He should only need a TV tuner if he is actually planning on picking up airwaves.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']You dont need a tuner these days dumbass, thats what the box is for. Have you heard of DVI?[/QUOTE]

Pretty uncalled for.

My cousin bought his kids this TV:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10973186

also available as:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10973182

to tote around with (most of their friends aren't allowed to have tvs in their rooms and some don't have current gen gaming systems, so when they go over to their house they wanted to play but couldn't, so he thought that would be easy enough to set up) Since they are young and moving it around all the time he didn't want to invest in anything too nice, this was a good size, price and it pretty lightweight.

Surprisingly, the TV is pretty good. He actually got it for a little less last year close to Christmas (Wal-Mart had it as a Black Friday special, but ended up having tons left as usual) I was pretty surprised to see how good it actually looked, for the price.

It all depends on the space that you have, but if you can save up another $100, you may consider going for a 32" This size is kind of the sweet spot for most people, if it fits in your dorm then it would make a great TV to transition to your first house/apartment, etc. with because it wouldn't be too small... Not sure if it is an option, but something to consider.

But I do recommend the TV above, it isn't anything fancy or top of the line, but for the price you do get really decent quality.

You should be able to find this one for $250 or less. Check sam's club. This is at target where it is $299 currently but I believe has been less. 22" vizio 1080p. Search on your own for the best price on it but like I said you can find it for 250 ish or less. Most likely the best value and features for the price.

http://www.target.com/Vizio-Class-1080p-LCD-HDTV/dp/B001KVCE1G

Search places using bing cashback to save some whether this model or another.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']You added what to this thread? Stop trying to up your post count.[/QUOTE]

And what did you add to this thread, aside from showing everyone that you're a giant cock? Not only did you avoid posting anything useful for the OP to begin with, but you came back to clutter a second time. gtfo

Hah, well, after going to Sam's Club and seeing how small a 19'' HD TV really is, I've decided to wait and save up for a better TV sometime later this year (maybe I'll be able to get one for Christmas or something). As of now, I'll just be bringing my old 22'' SD TV. Ah well, no HD gaming for me for now I suppose.

Thanks for all the responses though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dell 24-hour sale: Vizio 26" VA26L 720p with digital tuner $260

I can't post links yet so you'll have to manual search on dell.com. I check Dell EPP and they only take off $30 instead of $100.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']You should probably wait until you can get another 100 or 2. That way you can get a bigger and better tv.[/QUOTE]

I agree. With around $450 you can get a great Samsung or Sony 32 inch 720p

bread's done
Back