Best HDD for a ps3?

Wildcat1080

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The stock are 5400RPM, is that still what is recommended to get? I saw this one brought up a while ago in the deals forums but noticed it was 7200rpm. Will this cause heat issues?

Looking for at least 200gb+

Any recommendations are appreciated

Damn, didn't even know you could go that big on the ps3. Thought it had a limit.

So 5400rpm is probably best? I'm looking at some 320gb 5400rpms on newegg.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']The stock are 5400RPM, is that still what is recommended to get? I saw this one brought up a while ago in the deals forums but noticed it was 7200rpm. Will this cause heat issues?

Looking for at least 200gb+

Any recommendations are appreciated[/QUOTE]

I have the 200gb version of the 320 hitachi you liked to and it works great, with the exception of a little noise. I have heard good things about the 320gb and if I decide to upgrade again that will probably end up being the one I would lean towards.

I have not noticed any heat issues at all between the 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM HDD's. I would say do you want more space or faster loading? It really depends on what you want to use the PS3 for I guess..

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 GB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 2.5 Inch, 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM SATA II, 12 ms access time

WD5000BEVT is $99 at Amazon, free shipping.

Drive is quiet, reliable, just like the stock hard drives.

Yeah I'm pretty much almost sold on either the 500gb or 320gb Scorpio.

Basically girlfriend has been begging me for a birthday list, and I was trying to find a good cheap HDD I could get. This looks pretty good. Thanks CAG :)

The 7200 RPM drive will rarely offer any advantage to use in the PS3. Any heat problems will be in the long term, as in decreased drive and console life.

The best deal, in your area or online, for a 5400 RPM 500GB drive when you're ready to buy is the best choice. Unless you really demand extraordinary usage from your PS3 there aren't any great advantages to any of the brands offering such a drive right now.

Some people will bitch about a bad drive they got from a particular company in years past but across the industry the quality and reliability level is excellent. There are few other products of such sophistication that come close.

bread's done
Back