Best HDMI/Composite Cables For 360?

BobbyTastic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
413 (100%)
Hi. So I'm the proud new owner of my first HDTV, a 36 inch used Sony Wiiga. Been meaning to get an HDTV for the longest time, and couldn't pass up this one for $100 on CL about a month ago, though I had to pick it up myself and it weighs around 200 pounds. There's always a catch, right? Aside from being a fatty it's in great condition, it's a Sony, blah blah blah. Anyways, I know that to broadcast HD from your Xbox you either need an HDMI cable or composite cables (pretty much an HD version of component cables) but aside from that, I don't know much else aside from that they don't include such a cable with the actual 360... I would appreciate suggestions at good prices. Retailer is less important than the price, but if anyone could find me a good eBay/Buy/Overstock/Newegg deal (pretty much everyone but Amazon), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='QuestMeMore']http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

You're welcome. (Personal experience note: they rule)[/QUOTE]

Thank you. They take Paypal too, which is perfect for me. It just makes me sad that shipping is more or less the same cost as the actual item. :( Anyone else have experience with these cables? And I'm assuming HDMI is the superior route for 360 play?

Also, I have no idea what 28AWG means, and the difference between these subcategories aside from lengths, which I still need to determine..

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Thank you. They take Paypal too, which is perfect for me. It just makes me sad that shipping is more or less the same cost as the actual item. :( Anyone else have experience with these cables? And I'm assuming HDMI is the superior route for 360 play?

Also, I have no idea what 28AWG means, and the difference between these subcategories aside from lengths, which I still need to determine..[/QUOTE]

Buy the ones he linked. People on here have recommended monoprice for years.

I 100% agree with monoprice. When I bought my first LCD awhile back I researched every aspect including HDMI cables and from what I read on the AVS Forum there's no difference between a 4$ cable and a $30 cable. I have 4 HDMI cables from Monoprice btw and they still work without any problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 love for mono price. IIRC the shipping cost is per 'box' not per item, so stock up on a few cables that you need now or might in the future (or go in with friends, etc).

[quote name='dm85']I 100% agree with monoprice. When I bought my first LCD awhile back I researched every aspect including HDMI cables and from what I read on the AVS Forum there's no difference between a 4$ cable and a $30 cable. I have 4 HDMI cables from Monoprice btw and they still work without any problems.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about monoprice cables, but gotta completely disagree with $4 cables being as good as $30 cables.

When I first got my ps3 I bought cheap composite cables from k-mart, and they worked horribly. There were lines waving across the screen. Bought the sony ps3 branded composite cables to replace the cheap ones and the picture was 100% better. Will never again go the cheap route, cheap cables are just a waste of money.

[quote name='praxus07']Don't know about monoprice cables, but gotta completely disagree with $4 cables being as good as $30 cables.

When I first got my ps3 I bought cheap composite cables from k-mart, and they worked horribly. There were lines waving across the screen. Bought the sony ps3 branded composite cables to replace the cheap ones and the picture was 100% better. Will never again go the cheap route, cheap cables are just a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

The difference in cable quality with digital cables is pretty minimal. For something HDMI I would just make sure to buy cables that meet the latest standard no matter what the brand is as long as I were running it over a short distance. With composite cables like you are talking about, which are analog, the type of cable does matter. There a cheap cable will show through and give a worse image quality than one that is better constructed.

Yeah, I bought a cheap cable for Amazon, don't remember which one, for $4 and the quality was exactly the same as my friend's $50 one. Just buy the cheapest cable you can find from a legitimate retailer, and you'll be all set.

I love monoprice and just placed another order of various cables (including quite a few nice 24 awg ones wiht net jackets) just two weeks ago.

That said, depending on your application, I would seriously recommend getting these
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SWV3474S-27-Swivel-Speed/dp/B003EYVP12/
I got 6 of them to replace the monoprice cable due to its flexibility and I absolutely love them. Considering buying a few more at this price so I won't run out of them).

But yes, HDMI cables from monoprice work just fine. If you don't need the swivel function, you will be fine with them and save a few bucks. (but I truly think that even if you don't think you need it that once you try it, you would want to replace all your cables with some swivel function... It's hard for me to go back to plain cables now even tho they work just fine).

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back