Best/Most Fun 360 fighter?...

Spades22

CAGiversary!
So I don't have a single fighting game for my 360, and I'll probably start out pretty bad at any fighting game since I was never really into the arcade or anything. That said, I enjoyed playing a few fighters casually on my PS1. So, from the 360 fighters out right now (Not sure what there is...Soul calibur 4, tekken, street fighter, virtua fighter) which would be the most enjoyable? BTW I don't really have online for that long, so I like having good or many unlockables to go for as well (replayability in SP).

Street Fighter 4 or nothing!

The online makes the game for me. But the single player is great also.

If you just want to play casually without getting too deep into it, MK Vs DC is pretty button mashy. Not much as far as unlockables go though.

I had more fun with Soul Calibur then with Street Fighter. SC seems to be more for a casual audience of fighting fans aka me. SF is for combo happy fighting fanatics which if thats you then thats the one to get.

Well I've looked more into SCIV and I can tell it's just not my thing. MK vs. DC looks ok though...not sure about the DC characters as I don't really like them in my video games, but it might be ok if the gameplay is reaaally good...

And I more meant that I played the PS1 fighters very casually, but I'd like to get pretty good at the next fighter I play. Well, as good as I can get with a 360 controller at least.

Street Fighter IV is definitely my recommendation. It works just fine for me with the 360 controller also...as long as you don't try to use the d-pad.

And I'm a pretty casual fighting fan by the way, looking to get more into them like you. The only other fighting series I've really played are Soul Calibur and Tekken.

sfiv has the best online with the ranking and matchmaking, but vf5 has the best single player. if you're mostly going to play single player, vf5 is the best option as it's a 40 hour or so single player mode where you go from arcade to arcade taking on unique opponents and winning gear to put on your character. plus it's only $20 on Amazon these days compared to all of the other fighting games out there.

really? SF4 the best, I was really unimpressed with the online myself, I heard HD remix was better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='danked']really? SF4 the best, I was really unimpressed with the online myself, I heard HD remix was better.[/quote]

oh i'm talking in terms of console games and not live arcade ones. never played hd remix but i've played doa4, vf5, sc4, and sf4. the biggest drawback to sf4 is the lack of quarter matches - 4 player rooms that are present in hdremix, puzzle fighter, and doa4, but other than that it's probably the game to play if you want to play fighting games competitively online.

HD Remix is a ton of fun and definitely has a slightly better online MP experience over SFIV. As far as unlockables goes, SFIV has a lot to work towards.

You should make a Poll.
But the answer here is Street Fighter IV, without a doubt.

I own Soul Calibur 4, Dead Or Alive 4, Virtua Fighter 5, and SSF2THDR.
My total play time on most of those are probably less than 20 hours each.

On SFIV alone, I've put in 72 hours already. This includes online, unlockables, playing with friends, and arcade mode.
Next up would be VF5, they have a virtual arcade and with virtual tournaments that have top contenders modeled after real life pros (i think).

I also own Soul Calibur 4, Dead or Alive 4, Virtua Fighter 5, MC vs DCU, and SSF2THDR.

Street Fighter IV is simply more accessible and better designed for beginners and experts alike. Those who said it's not intuitive are probably people that just want to mash through their fighters. SF4 is easy to pick up and learn.

As far as unlockables go and longer single player go, you might want to look at Virtua Fighter 5, though. It probably has one of the most extensive single player experiences in a fighter. Street Fighter 4 is sort of lacking in that respect... but as long as you have friends that like fighters, SF4 is the way to go.

I feel like I'm in a pretty similar place as far as fighting games go, in that I'm not a big fan or anything but I like to have one to play with a friend or something on occasion.

Even as a non-fighting game fan, I love SCIV, so that would be my recommendation.

[quote name='danked']really? SF4 the best, I was really unimpressed with the online myself, I heard HD remix was better.[/quote]

Seems to be person to person in SF4 as far as match making goes.

My experience has been that although the rating system is almost no-existent (in my opinion) the match making itself has been fairly quick. I haven't had problems making games (both player and ranked matches) or getting into games. I do know some people who have had issues though.

I think the obvious answer is that there is no best fighter. I would recommend that you rent as many fighters as you can and see which you like the best. The only way to know what you like is to find out yourself.

[quote name='silent h3ro']I think the obvious answer is that there is no best fighter. I would recommend that you rent as many fighters as you can and see which you like the best. The only way to know what you like is to find out yourself.[/quote]

That's a pretty good suggestion. Each one plays very differently. The most important thing is how the fighting mechanics click with you.

Rentals aren't really my thing. By the time I'd rent each one I'd be out 25$ which would actually buy me a fighter, so I'm just going to go off suggestions this time, assuming what others like I'll also enjoy (particularily what beginners to the fighter genre enjoy). Added a poll too, but looks like the majority is for SFIV anyway...

SF4 is a lot of fun but for 60$ its hard to say its worth 4times more then HDR. (i dont regret buying sf4 since definitely a deeper game w/ less sim, blanka, boxer grabbers)

Im going w/ HDR.

Downloaded the HDR demo today just to see what SF was like...but it was local multiplayer only >_>. That's kind of lame and pointless...the least they could do is mention it so I don't waste my bandwidth, heh.

I suggest you try the demos for all of them if there are demos. My pick would be Soul Calibur IV with SF IV coming in second. I have not played VF5 and MK vs DC is just horrible. One of the worst fighters this gen.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I suggest you try the demos for all of them if there are demos. My pick would be Soul Calibur IV with SF IV coming in second. I have not played VF5 and MK vs DC is just horrible. One of the worst fighters this gen.[/quote]

I'd do this if I didn't have a bandwidth cap >_>. That's why the fact that the street fighter 2 demo was unplayable sucked

I also heard tekken 5 or 6 or something is supposed to come out later this year. Is tekken a better series overall...cause I'd be willing to wait if it is and if it'll be played more by others...

Lag is the biggest thing for me.

With that said I had no lag in 95%+ of my matches for SFIV and HD Remix.
About 90% or less of my matches in Soul Calibur IV had no lag.
DOA still had lag last I checked, and the same goes for Virtua Fighter. VF is the deepest fighting game but the lag kinda got to me.

I would either go with SFIV or HD Remix. But in the long run you should get both.

I haven't tried MK vs DC so I can't comment on that. I'm hoping it hits $20 or $30 by summer.

It sounds like you want to play the most popular fighter. If that's the case, then just go with Street Fighter IV right now, don't bother waiting for Tekken 6 to come out.

bread's done
Back