Best Movie Swordfight

Ozzkev55

CAGiversary!
Yeah i just saw that swordsman movie is going to be on spike tv at 2pm est on saturday, just for reference what would you think is the best swordfight, ill compile a list of the most popular and make a poll, should be fun, my vote:

Hero starring Jet Li

maybe if this does well enough well have a best fistfight poll as well

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I know I'm gonna get jumped on for this but Id definetly go with the epic duel at the end of Episode 1.[/QUOTE]

no that definetly qualifies, being that it is a swordfight, and it did involve a wushu master, as a fighter, i am very impressed

[quote name='Ozzkev55']no that definetly qualifies, being that it is a swordfight, and it did involve a wushu master, as a fighter, i am very impressed[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was a very good fight.

[quote name='Wshakspear']If i was thinking clearly, id mention which part, but ill just say Equillibrium[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that, but the sword fight is all of 3 seconds long. The gun fights are so much better.

Id say the count of monte cristo (the remake with jesus). Its the only swordfight ever ever seen where when they grab the blade itself it actually cuts their hands.

UPDATED: I made a poll, now im asking for the best out of the ten, so please no badgering about what i included/left out, i didnt add equilibrium, but i added some of my personal favs so have fun

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']oooo, and I know it wasn't really swords, but the Chateau fight in The Matrix Reloaded was awesome.[/QUOTE]
I love the Chateau fight. And they did have swords, briefly.

[quote name='dcfox']I love the Chateau fight. And they did have swords, briefly.[/QUOTE]

yes, it also did have some sword work, with a very famous samurai sword, used by morpheus, though he never did hit anything with it, save evaporated albino twins

There is an old movie from the 60s called Scaramouche. It has the best fencing sword fight I have ever seen. The last fight in the movie was simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B000096IBJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It definately worth checking out if you want to see a classic action flick!

[quote name='JSweeney']You see, I'm not left handed :)[/QUOTE]

"You are-a using Bonetti's Defense against me, eh?"

Last Samurai had more sparring matches than fights...Also no poll list is nearly long enough to contain all the good ones and I can't choose just one but here are some faves

Highlander
Rob Roy
Mask of Zorro
Troy
Pirates of the Carribean
Zatoichi movies
Fist of Legend (c'omn, Belt vs. sword)
A few Kurosawa films
Lots of other movies that I couldn't think of right away...

[quote name='Ozzkev55']no that definetly qualifies, being that it is a swordfight, and it did involve a wushu master, as a fighter, i am very impressed[/QUOTE]

I was more concerned with everyone saying "oh the new trilogy is crap, Lucas sold out!!". You know, all that garbage.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Last Samurai had more sparring matches than fights...Also no poll list is nearly long enough to contain all the good ones and I can't choose just one but here are some faves

Zatoichi movies
Fist of Legend (c'omn, Belt vs. sword)
A few Kurosawa films
Lots of other movies that I couldn't think of right away...[/QUOTE]

these are some of the best,also I always liked lone wolf and cub/shogun assasin

First thing i thought of was Princess Bride.
After considering Kill Bill for a moment, i thought it was more of a sword masacre.

[quote name='twanky']i Thought the action and swordplay in Blade was always cool, what's princess bride about? sound familiar,[/QUOTE]

Are you a man with 6 fingers on one hand? If so, my name is Inigo Montoya. You keeled my fathar. Prepare to die.

I know we're not supposed to bitch about the list, so I wont. Other than to say that there are too many "New" movies on there.

Oh, and Personal opinion... Kill Bill is crap.

As much as the majority of the movie sucked, the fight scene in the end of Episode I was incredible. Hopefully it'll be surpassed in Episode III, but that's a discussion for another thread.

whats with princess bride, its just basic fencing, and you can plainly see that it is just coreographed, as each swing has to have a purpose, and though its a good movie, princess bride falls short, of being superior to hero, to which despite the ability to fly, was a very realistic swordfighting movie

[quote name='Ozzkev55']whats with princess bride, its just basic fencing, and you can plainly see that it is just coreographed, as each swing has to have a purpose, and though its a good movie, princess bride falls short, of being superior to hero, to which despite the ability to fly, was a very realistic swordfighting movie[/QUOTE]

I think you should to a little more research how people would actually fight with swords in ancient China or otherwise. Even without the flying it's nothing like what's in Hero. Everything involving fighting in the movies is usually highly choreographed, it's an exremely rare thing to see a swordfight or battle or whatever play out like it would in real life.

oh im well aware of swordfighting in what sense you mention,
Seven Samurai, would be a good case, duels lasting in a move or so
i do practice aido, and i have many books on japanese swordfighting, i know how to end em fast, which is usually how they went, but thank you for enlightening everyone else, but as far as tai chi swordfighting goes, and traditional chinese style, that is dead on my friends, though it is a bit acrobatic, one can even point that out in the closest of followings

bread's done
Back