Best NES Games, Obscura

DesertEagleXIX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm making a rom cart for my GBA of the best NES games. I want to know about oscure, but fun games like 'Nuts and Milk' that are worth trying.

Anyone know any others? I'm a fan of the old Nintendo games like Popeye, Ballon Fight, etc.

And before I get a deluge of questions, you have to have a flash cart and cable to do this.

rescue: embassy mission kicks much ass!

I bought another NES just to play that game, once.

Imagine if Red Storm were to update that game. I'd be in heaven.

Legacy of the Wizard and Crystalis. You might not even want to bother with LoW because it's probably the longest game ever made. I've yet to beat it and it was my third game ever. There are some places online where you can download the world map if you don't believe this game's length.

Stardard anti-piracy statement: Don't steal videogames! You hurt the industry and yourself!!

That said, here's a fairly good obscure NES title:

Destiny of an Emperor by Capcom.
Take the storyline of the three kingdoms era (as seen in Dynasty Warriors), Mix in one part Pokemon and one part Final Fantasy.

Basically, you can recruit wandering generals and others generals the storyline has you pick up (Lu Bu, for instance) through the course of the game.

Its one of the few RPG games where the boss battles aren't pushovers... even when you get to the higher levels.

I'll second Jackal and Destiny Of An Emperor (although it's a bit slow-paced), and add Zanac, Gun-Nac and Guardian Legend. Zanac and Gun-Nac are vertical shooters ... Guardian Legend is a vertical shooter/Zelda-type genre hybrid. I'll also recommend the three Adventures Of Lolo games. I'm not sure if those are obscure or just forgotten, but they're good.

If you want to get extremely obscure (like Nuts n Milk), you can't go wrong with Penguin Wars.

I don't think I'd consider Crystalis obscure, since it had a big feature in Nintendo Power back in the day, and was popular enough to be ported to GBC.

[quote name='Parathod']Legacy of the Wizard and Crystalis. You might not even want to bother with LoW because it's probably the longest game ever made. I've yet to beat it and it was my third game ever. There are some places online where you can download the world map if you don't believe this game's length.[/quote]

I have LoW, it was a pretty cool game but my NES sucked. I just looked up Crystalis and that game looks cool, I am going to have to find it on ebay or soemthing.

There is one game that is more famous now than it was then - Metal Gear. While not as good as the "Solids", it is longer and harder than either, and is still a good game in it's own right, though it plays much differently than the modern incarnations.

Faxanadu...you're a guy killing stuff in a world that is essentially made up of a giant tree, and trying to stop a war between elves and dwarves. Very pretty game and it has password save (yes!).

Dragon Spirit The New Legend...basically a port of the shoot'em'up arcade game Dragon Spirit. You're a dragon flying around shooting things. Very fun, nice graphics and soundtrack. (Panzer Dragoon fans will love this one).

Werewolf...you're a pissed off Native American who can turn into an acrobatic werewolf and goes around killing mutants. Why are you pissed off? Because some evil scientist destroyed the world, that's why...or something like that. Oh well, I had fun playing this game.

Rom use is terrible! Now um, what setup are you using to do this, just for reference of course.

Rygar, not obscure, but it was fun.

Tengen: Tetris, Rolling Thunder, or KLAX would probably make fun portable games.

River City Ransom was underrated but has been getting more attention lately.

I like Sky Shark for my 2d shooter needs. The English prototype of Earthbound for NES is out there too.

[quote name='DenisDFat']rom use sucks.

Clash at Demonhead[/quote]

I own that game and I could never fucking beat it!!

As for unmentioned games check out "The Lost World of Jenny"

[quote name='Theenternal']Dest is one of my fav nes games... btw I believe crystalis was also released for GBC, dont know how well the port is though.[/quote]

I own the GBC port of Crystalis and it's almost exact. A few things have changed, but it's almost spot on.

Ikari Warriors was fun, but bad programming/level design made it so that you could get stuck and have to reset the game.

I second 1943.
Also, I liked Star Tropics, and no one ever talks about that game.

That's cuz StarTropics got lost in the mix as an odd Zelda wannabe when it's a great game with decent difficulty. I'm kinda surprised that Nintendo hasn't tried to revive the series with a third game but I don't think it sold so well, especially the second one which was part of the last batch of releases for the NES in the US (along with Wario's Woods and a Nintendo released Mega Man VI).

My nominations: Air Fortress, Baseball Stars (still one of the best), T&C Surf Designs (skateboarding/surfing), the original Ninja Turles, and Vice Project Doom (overhead driving/platforming).

If you want obscure, I suggest the English translations of Fire Emblem Gaiden and Earthbound Zero. I also recommend Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (50 or so unique characters) and Taboo: The Sixth Sense, just because it's some cosmic astrology game.

Baseball Stars (SNK)
Battle of Olympus
Bionic Commando
Blaster Master
Ducktales
River City Ransom
Maniac Mansion
Star Tropics
Tetris (Tengen)
Willow

If you like Shadowgate, you may like Uninvited. It's funny and suprisingly creepy for a NES game. I actually used to be afraid of it when the game when it was first released. The music is really good as well. The only knock I have against it is that it's a thinking man's game like Myst, which isn't too typical for NES games.

Parathod's Avatar=badass

Yeah, the Star Tropics games are very good. But the game I recommend that no one seems to have played is Mendel Palace. It's hard to define the genre the game belongs to but it is so kick ass its not even funny.

How about The Guardian Legend? Pretty decent vertical scrolling shooter mixed in with some 3/4 perspective shooting. RC Pro AM was always good for a couple of hours of playtime as well.

Posted: September 17, 2004, 9:08 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parathod's Avatar=badass

Yeah, the Star Tropics games are very good. But the game I recommend that no one seems to have played is Mendel Palace. It's hard to define the genre the game belongs to but it is so kick ass its not even funny.

Thanks, it's from a Mr.Oizo video. I had to edit it on my mac to get the loop going. If you don't mind me asking, where does the vid. in your sig come from? It's a lot more badass than my avatar.

Thanks, I got it from some Japanese site a while back. I don't remember what the URL is but I have more animated gifs like that. The only thing is that most are over 200kb. The one I use is around 50kb.

Cyber Stadium Series - Basewars! - ubercool robot baseball game

Godzilla 2 - suprisingly fun strategy game where you fight AGAINST the big G

Super Dodge Ball - what's not to love about beaning your opponent in the face?

Genghis Khan - Super in depth strategy game from KOEI that supports up to 8 players. The hours of my life that were lost to this game could maybe be measured in years.

Bump & Jump is the best obscure game still unmentioned on this thread. Also worth checking out are Recca, Burai Fighter, and Shatterhand.

Already mentioned, but I will second Cobra Triangle, the Lolo games, Jackal, Zanac, Gun*Nac, and Guardian Legend. Lots of good games listed in this thread, although a number of them I wouldn't consider obscure (Crystalis, Life Force, etc)

The Crystalis port to GBC is noticeably easier than the orginal. Also, totally different music. The NES version had some of my favorite 8-bit music, and the stuff in the GBC version just doesn't stack up. Pity. It's still a good game, but I would just go with the NES version (especially since those flash carts can't emulate GBC games, anyway).

bread's done
Back