Best NES Games?

MasterSprtn117

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
What do you think are the best games on the NES? I remember these couple games I always played when I was around five or six. I could never finish them though. :roll:

In no particular order:
Battletoads
Wizards and Warriors I, II, and III
Low G Man
Megaman
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3

[quote name='MasterSprtn117']What do you think are the best games on the NES? I remember these couple games I always played when I was around five or six. I could never finish them though. :roll:

In no particular order:
Battletoads
Wizards and Warriors I, II, and III
Low G Man
Megaman
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3[/quote]

Dude, you could be thirty years old and not be able to finish Battletoads. That game required patience and perseverance by the shedload.

Mckids.PNG

Best. McDonalds Game. Ever.

River City Ransom was my favorite by far. Off the top of my head, a few others I loved were...
Dragon Warrior I-IV
Final Fantasy
Swords & Serpents
Bionic Commando
Castlevania
Contra

Second Dragon Warrior IV and Super Mario Bros 3. There are a lot of great games on the console, but those two are the best and way ahead of their time.

[quote name='olde_english']Dude, you could be thirty years old and not be able to finish Battletoads. That game required patience and perseverance by the shedload.[/quote]

I tried a couple months ago and could only get to like level 8 (I used warps).

Super Mario Bros. 1-3
Castlevania 1-3
Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Double Dragon 2
Rygar
Final Fantasy
Tecmo Bowl
Duck Tales
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Bionic Commando
The Legend of Zelda

Ohhhhhhhhh Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Someone mentioned faxanadu. That game was the shit but the password system never worked on my copy so i never got more than 6 hours into the game. Great actionstyle rpg, nothing quite like it on the nes.
Gotta mention metroid and tecmosuperbowl. Would probably mention castlevania 3 if I had ever played it. Loved mario 2 and 3. Rygar and of course punchout.

Metal gear pissed me off so much because i had like 7 key cards and couldn't figure out where to go.

I'll just list stuff outside the usual mega Nintendo franchises (Mario, Metroid, et al) since obviously those will be worthwhile.

Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden II
Mega Man 2
Punch-Out!!
Castlevania II

Contra
Super C
Shadow of the ninja * was one of my favorite games*
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Bad Dudes
River City Ransom
Mario bros 1, and 3 I wasn't crazy over 2
Castlevania 1, and 3

Me, and cousin use to play contra, and shadow of the ninja all the time. Kind of miss him, and the good memories. I'm sure I'm missing some games there was alot of good nes games. After reading through this how could I have forget zelda, and battletoads.

Last edited by a moderator:
TMNT the Arcade version
Mega Man 2 & 3
Metal Gear
Contra
MIKE TYSON'S Punch-Out (accept no substitutes)
California Games
Castlevania 2
Xexyz

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']TMNT the Arcade version
Mega Man 2 & 3
Metal Gear
Contra
MIKE TYSON'S Punch-Out (accept no substitutes)
California Games
Castlevania 2
Xexyz[/quote]

Really don't see how I forgot to list tmnt that was one of my favorites.

clash at demonhead
guardian legend
maniac mansion
code name viper
adventures of lolo 2 & 3
Karnov
metroid
kid icarus
blaster master

I think I could go on for the next 1/2 hour

From the top of my head;
Startropics
Mike Tysons (Not the white guys) Punch Out
River Ransom City (Should be remade with all the other Kunio games in game, so that you could play it online)
Gun Smoke
Ninja Gaiden
Rollergames
Shatterhand
and The Flinstones (The one where Dino escaped, stupid prehistoric dog)

I know this might not belong here but since we are discussing NES games I thought maybe someone might help me find the title for this NES game.

I played this when I was like 6-7 years old. It played sort of like Castlevania, I remember there being bats and took place mostly inside caves. The main thing I remember though is that you fought these flying heads. At some point you end up fighting several flying heads one after another. I remember getting pretty far in the game and there being a lot of platforms where you would need to jump around, up and down to try and reach them and get some hits on them.

I know it might sound vague but thats all I remember from the game.

As for my list:

- Contra
- Double Dragon
- Ninja Gaiden
- R.C. Pro-Am
- Super Mario
- Super Mario 2
- Super Mario 3

Dusty Diamond's All Star Softball.

Epic game even up to and including picking people for your team.

mega man 2
mike tyson punch out
contra
kung fu
super mario 1 & 3, 2 if you count the jap version, not doki doki panic
teenage mutant ninja turtles

Favorite: Baseball Stars - The countless hours I spent playing this with my father were some of the greatest memories of my youth. He spent plenty of nights doing the money trick (Create a team with all guys with just prestige, use that team against your created team, walk everyone in, 10 run rule, get cash) in order to have his own team full of maxed out all stars. (Considering you could get like 45k per game, and how much those maxed out players cost... do the math. The man worked. Saddest memory was when I went to play, and the NES CLEARED THE BATTERY SAVE. I don't think we played it again after that.)

Tecmo Super Bowl - I mean, c'mon. Pure console bliss.

Castlevania - 2D Castlevania games are still incredibly good this day. Who needs 3D?

Mike Tyson Punch-Out - Why isn't a real updated version out for the Wii yet? Screw cooking mama, a new Punch-Out could be the perfect Wii game.

Excitebike - Being able to make your own tracks pushed this game up to the top.

Pro Wrestling - Starman was a beast. Fighter Hyabusa was useless. The game... a classic.

SMB 1-3, yes, 2 was great as well. Huge Doki Doki Panic fan.

[quote name='snotknocker']clash at demonhead
blaster master
[/quote]

Props for the Blaster Master reference, I almost forgot about that game. I never got too far in it, but it was fun nonetheless. I liked the fact you could drive, or walk around.

tecmo superbowl
metroid
kid icarus
castlevania 3
Punch-Out
Super Mario 2 and 3
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2

Super Mario Bros. 1-2
Castlevania 1-3
Ninja Gaiden 1-2
Tecmo Super Bowl
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Mega Man 1-3
Contra 1-2

EDIT: Added the Contra's (how could I not list those? 'doh!)

Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Dragon Warrior iii and IV
Metal Gear 1 and 2: Although probably the worst ports ever.
Bionic Commando
Skate or Die
Techno Bowl.
and................ Mario 1-3 and zelda.

i got really far into metal gear 1 and dragon warrior 1 but just got lost.

Always wanted to try dragon warrrior 3 and 4, I think 4 is being remade for the ds and its already out in japan.

Tecmobowl is shitt compared to tecmo superbowl

[quote name='Kendal']Duck Tales.

/thread[/QUOTE]

A lot of the licensed games back then were great. Pretty much all of the Capcom Disney titles were amazing (I wasn't a big fan of Talespin, but Darkwing Duck, the two Ducktales games, and Rescue Rangers were all fantastic games), and so were Konami's Ninja Turtles titles. Somebody mentioned Tiny Toons; that was a good platformer, and another example of a good licensed game.

I could go on and on - Mega Man, Adventure Island, Lolo, pretty much all of the first party Nintendo titles...there are a ton of games on the NES that range from good to legendary. :)

My list , asterisks next to those I have.

A Boy and His Blob*
Baseball Stars*
Battletoads
Bionic Commando*
Blades of Steel
Castlevania 1
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3*
Contra
Contra 2
Crystalis
Dragon Warrior
Double Dribble
Double Dragon
Double Dragon 2
Faxanadu*
Final Fantasy*
Legend of Zelda*
Legend of Zelda II : Adventure of Link
Manic Mansion
Mega Man 1
Mega Man 2*
Mega Man 3*
Mega Man 4
Metal Gear*
Metroid*
Mike Tyson's Punch Out*
Ninja Gaiden 1
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 3
Pro Wrestling*
RBI Baseball*
River City Ransom
Super Mario 1*
Super Mario Brothers 2
Super Mario 3*
StarTropics*
Tecmo Super Bowl*
Tetris
The Empire Strikes Back

Mega Man 2, Final Fantasy and Mike Tyson's Punch Out are my most played games.

Alot of the popular ones have been mentioned already but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rush N Attack as it's one of my favorites so I'm mentioning it :D

[quote name='Vibe']Mortal kombat 1
Mortal kombat 2
mortal kombat 3
donkey kong country 1-3
mario kart
street fighter 1-3
Mario all-stars
beavis and butthead
contra

There lots others i just cant remeber but these are 1s i still play for my nes[/quote]

Uh...what? This topic is about NES games. Almost all of those you listed are Super Nintendo games.

bread's done
Back