Best new show of the Fall: Modern Family

bvharris

CAGiversary!
Feedback
211 (100%)
Did anyone else watch this? I was absolutely floored by how funny it was, I was in stitches nearly the entire time.

This is definitely the best of the new comedies I've seen so far, you should definitely check it out if you missed the pilot tonight.

yes! I am so excited because I haven't like a show in such a long time. I really have nothing to look forward to week after week and I want to so bad.

Looking forward to seeing it get funnier. it better :(

It's great to see some of the 30 minute comedies returning and being actually funny. I thought both Community and Modern Family were good, both have great potential. I've already watched my Arrested Development DVD's a dozen times, time for something new!

[quote name='halvorsb']It's great to see some of the 30 minute comedies returning and being actually funny. I thought both Community and Modern Family were good, both have great potential. I've already watched my Arrested Development DVD's a dozen times, time for something new![/QUOTE]
I saw Community also. Pretty good stuff. Its very hard for me to watch TV.

[quote name='halvorsb']It's great to see some of the 30 minute comedies returning and being actually funny. I thought both Community and Modern Family were good, both have great potential. I've already watched my Arrested Development DVD's a dozen times, time for something new![/QUOTE]

I love both of the new shows you name, and I also worship at the alter of Arrested Development. However, I'd contest that we've been lacking good 30 minute comedies: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, How I Met Your Mother, and 30 Rock are three shows which come to mind which are consistently fresh and funny, and have been for years, even as shows like The Office have slipped.

how i met your mother is awesome. the office can be funny but the main character is so damn annoying especially after watching the superior original british version. spaced is a good series too.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Is this the one with Al Bundy?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

It had a huge premiere, 12.7 million. That along with the great reviews its been getting and what is sure to be strong word-of-mouth tells me that this one may very well be a hit. I hope it stays as hilarious as the pilot was.

I wanted to watch this yesterday, but at the last minute got some free tickets to see Zombieland for free, so i ended up doing that instead. Is this on the net some where? It looked quite funny from the commercials.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I wanted to watch this yesterday, but at the last minute got some free tickets to see Zombieland for free, so i ended up doing that instead. Is this on the net some where? It looked quite funny from the commercials.[/QUOTE]
I want to see it also. I will try ABC's website when I get home to see if its on there otherwise I will have to catch it next week.

[quote name='cdeener']I want to see it also. I will try ABC's website when I get home to see if its on there otherwise I will have to catch it next week.[/QUOTE]

I just checked and it's on Hulu.

By the way, anyone know where you can find Hulu numbers (i.e. amount of views,etc.)?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I just checked and it's on Hulu.

By the way, anyone know where you can find Hulu numbers (i.e. amount of views,etc.)?[/QUOTE]

Just a warning: I watched it on Hulu with one of my friends during lunch today, and having also watched it last night I can tell you that they cut out a few scenes (they often pare it down for Hulu). Nothing too major is gone, but you'll be missing a few jokes. I'm sure there is somewhere online which has the full version, though I certainly wouldn't want to steer you in the direction of piracy. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']Just a warning: I watched it on Hulu with one of my friends during lunch today, and having also watched it last night I can tell you that they cut out a few scenes (they often pare it down for Hulu). Nothing too major is gone, but you'll be missing a few jokes. I'm sure there is somewhere online which has the full version, though I certainly wouldn't want to steer you in the direction of piracy. ;)[/QUOTE]

That sucks but as long as I can see majority of it its fine with me. I meant to DVR it but forgot to just before I went to bed. Its good to see a decent original comedy on ABC.

This is a great show. It reminded me of a little Christopher Guest...a little arrested development. It was really funny and had a lot of heart especially for a pilot.

Man. I missed it. Was looking forward to it but my girlfriend's new place doesn't have cable yet. Guess I'll have to stream it from somewhere. Anyone find the full version? I usually watch stuff on Hulu but someone mentioned that it's missing some scenes.

[quote name='mis0']Man. I missed it. Was looking forward to it but my girlfriend's new place doesn't have cable yet. Guess I'll have to stream it from somewhere. Anyone find the full version? I usually watch stuff on Hulu but someone mentioned that it's missing some scenes.[/QUOTE]

It's not high quality, but this is the full version:

http://megavideo.com/?v=KZP2YNMV

I don't know what the policy is on streaming sites here. While it's probably an ethically gray area, I don't really have a problem with it since the networks are now putting shows online on their own, and it's not like you're downloading anything. If someone has a problem with it, I'll delete the link.

[quote name='bvharris']Just a warning: I watched it on Hulu with one of my friends during lunch today, and having also watched it last night I can tell you that they cut out a few scenes (they often pare it down for Hulu). Nothing too major is gone, but you'll be missing a few jokes. I'm sure there is somewhere online which has the full version, though I certainly wouldn't want to steer you in the direction of piracy. ;)[/QUOTE]

What was necessarily missing?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']What was necessarily missing?[/QUOTE]

The only I thing I can remember for certain is that the scenes in the mall were cut down by about half. There were several other things I noticed at the time but can't recall now.

This whole day in ABC's? line up blows. I didn't see any funny in the previews... I forgot to watch this but it seemed to have the LEAST amount of potential FAIL in it.

Great premiere. My favorite part which i dont remember word for word was

-whats her name?
-lilly
-Isnt she going to have a hardtime pronouncing that?

Its said so quickly and they move on to the next conversation I almost didnt catch it.

who the hell lets your daughter have a boy over in her room with the door closed? i would have bitch slapped that girl for asking the mother to close the door.

[quote name='Koggit']Is there a laugh track? Please tell me there's no laugh track[/QUOTE]

No laugh track. It's set up in the same mockumentary style as shows like The Office or Parks & Recreation. Though it's a bit less overt about it than those ones, if that makes sense.

[quote name='homeland']Great premiere. My favorite part which i dont remember word for word was

-whats her name?
-lilly
-Isnt she going to have a hardtime pronouncing that?

Its said so quickly and they move on to the next conversation I almost didnt catch it.[/QUOTE]

I loved that part too. I think that's when I knew this show was something special. A traditional, generic "play it safe" sitcom would not have made that joke in a million years.

Good to see Ed O'Neill back on a sitcom.

Would have loved to see a return of MWC. Would be even more hilarious with Bud being older making his still living at home more pathetic and hilarious.

So far this is my favorite new show this season. Really hilarious; way better than Community's first episode. I love the "hip" dad. Favorite Part:
Was when he accidently hit the boyfriend in the jugular with the pelt gun

[quote name='HuBu']who the hell lets your daughter have a boy over in her room with the door closed? i would have bitch slapped that girl for asking the mother to close the door.[/QUOTE]

That part bothered me too. I don't ever remember being able to have the door closed when at a girls house at that age.

Is this what Families are like these days? Ugh... yeah. This isn't going to fly, even if the blonde and spanish chicks are in it.

[quote name='mis0']Finally got around to watching the first episode. Funny as hell. That Spanish chick is a MILF.[/QUOTE]

Agreed total RAIL :cool:

I caught the reairing on Friday of this and Cougar Town both surprised me. Modern Family had me and the woman laughing which is a good thing.

Modern Family was funny as hell! Just saw it on Hulu.com, thanks for the recommendation. New episode airs tonight.

I really enjoyed the first episode of this show (and Community as well) -- the trick is going to be remembering when it's on. I might get the girlfriend to watch it tonight.

bread's done
Back