Best of Limited/Special/Collector's Edition Video Games

CaptainKirk

Banned
My personal favorites
1. Fallout 3 Collectors Edition (I love the bobblehead and lunch box)
2. GTA IV Special Edition (The lockbox is cool, the keychain is still on my keys, and the bag)
3. Halo 3 Legendary Edition (Its a Master Chief Helmet nuff said)
4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Collectors Edition (It had a Gold cart and its Zelda)

those are just my top fav's, everyone please post your favorite special/collector's/limited editions

I tend to drift towards games with robust artbooks instead of things like action figures and such, but even then I don't spring for a CE unless it's clearanced. Anyway here's my faves:

-The NBA 2K10 CE is pretty cool because it includes a foot locker that holds like 20+ games. Aim for the 360 one though if you want to put PS2 games and such in it too since the PS3 one only holds PS3 cases.
-Halo 3 Legendary Edition... gotta love that helmet!
-Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4 both have good CEs IMO

Alot seem pretty cool, like MW2's prestige edition and arkham asylum, but I don't know what I'd do with nightvision goggles, and I heard that batarang's kinda cheap lookin

i dont own a ps3 but the god of war 3 collectors looks bad ass. The chest looks like it alone would cost 60 bucks, plus theres 3 mp3 albums and a crap load of other stuff and then the game itself.

Fallout CE - lunch box, bobblehead & artbook
Bioshock 1 CE - love the Big Daddy statue

not so much a CE but when I purchased Gears if War 2 LE I also got are remote controlled Centuar tank.

Looking forward to the AvP Hunter edition.

[quote name='dnez']Fallout CE - lunch box, bobblehead & artbook
Bioshock 1 CE - love the Big Daddy statue

not so much a CE but when I purchased Gears if War 2 LE I also got are remote controlled Centuar tank.

Looking forward to the AvP Hunter edition.[/QUOTE]

yeah it comes with one of those sucker thing from aliens

I wish I had bought the Fallout 3 collector's edition. The lunchbox and bobblehead would have been awesome editions to my collection.

Prey (Art book, pewter figures, and a big metal box. Also, it was my first LE)
MGS4
Devil Summoner 2 (I love plushies!)

Bioshock 2 looks like it beats all, though. I'm a big vinyl collector, and I'm considering getting it.

My favorites probably would be the original Bioshock's LE, the Assassin's Creed II LE (That figure is freaking awesome), and all of the WoW CEs (they are all just very well put together sets)

The ToV CE was awesome because for $10 over the original MSRP you got a Steelbook, additional art in the instruction manual, and a 3-disc soundtrack (paper slip w/code in the case got you 2 discs sent to you for free via USPS.)

On the AC II CE, the figure was awesome but the rest of the bonuses sucked.

I really wish I would have grabbed the Bioshock Limited Edition. I want that Big Daddy Figure.

Anyways, I understand this thread is for the best collector's editions, but I nominate the Halo 3 CE (not the Legendary Edition) as the worst CE ever. The flimsy tin it came in was so shitty that the vast majority of DVDs came loose in the packaging and got all scratched up as a result.

[quote name='Swift900']I really wish I would have grabbed the Bioshock Limited Edition. I want that Big Daddy Figure.[/QUOTE]
You may want to try finding the Neca made Big Daddy figure at Toys R Us. Very big, very detailed, although probably rare by now. Retails for $20.

The Fallout 3 collector's edition is perhaps the perfect collector's edition. It has nice swag, was quite attainable at release (and for a bit afterwards), case of regular size that'll fit on your shelves, and didn't have too high a mark-up. Hell, the PC CE was the same price as the regular PC version ($50) the December after launch at Circuit City.

Best LE or Collector Editions:

Fallout 3
GTA IV
Both Lunar boxes for PS1
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence

Worst LE or collectors editions:

RE5
Halo 3 - that stupid helmet was available for over 50% off 2 months after release.
Cod MW2 - I got suckered into getting the NVG's, what a waste of money.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Earthbound. Not really a 'limited edition' but the standard edition in the huge box with the Player's Guide blew my fucking mind when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]
Damn, you beat me to it. Remember the scratch n' sniff cards?

Bioshock with big daddy figurine , and Zelda OOT and Majoras Mask golden carts for the N64 , those look beautiful.

It doesn't have as many cool add-ins as a lot of other things mentioned, but the Mass Effect 2 CE would be on my list solely for having just about the sexiest steelbook I've ever seen for a game.

Yeah Mass Effect 2 was good, but imagine you apparently getting a free code for the collectors edition, but OH WAIT! all of xbox live could get it free for 5 hours too

Assassin's Creed I/II - I don't have own #1's but I have #2's and it is awesome from the giant tin case to the Ezio figure.

Bioshock - Firstly, the game is one of my favorites. Secondly, I love my Big Daddy figurine and have 2! PLus ordered the Little Sister figurine on 2K's website which is to scale to the BD one. :D

Dragon Age: Origins - Another nice Bioware steelbook with a cool map and badass cover.

Fallout 3 - Another favorite game, a Bobblehead, AND a lunch box = WIN!

Halo 3: Legendary Edition - Pretty cool helmet but otherwise useless.

Mass Effect 1/2 - Nicely made tin/steelbook with Shepard on one side and the main enemy (Saren/Harbinger) on the other.

Don't Own, but Cool:
GTAIV / NBA 2K10 / Prey (used to have it with all of the figurines) / Zelda OOT

Don't Own, but Garbage:
RE5

[quote name='bvharris']It doesn't have as many cool add-ins as a lot of other things mentioned, but the Mass Effect 2 CE would be on my list solely for having just about the sexiest steelbook I've ever seen for a game.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame they skimped on the other extras.

I have a lot of CE versions. Some of my favorites: Bioshock, ME2, ToV, MGS 4,and SMT: Digital Devil Saga. I really like ones with a soundtrack. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my preorder for the PC version Bioshock 2. I'm just wondering if this one will be as hard to find as the first one. I'm thinking I could use the money on something else, like upgrading my video card.

It's too bad we don't get Special Editions like they have in Japan. I would have liked the Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria [Artifact Box] or the Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht [Limited Edition]. I those were very nice.

Best ones to come out in the last few years were:

Bioshock LE
Devil Summoner 2
Fallout 3 CE
Metal Gear Solid 4 LE

I don't really buy alot of CEs, but sometime I do get some by accident (usually a clearance sale here and there). Off the top of my head:

Two PS1 Lunar games-came with all kinds of trinkets, cloth maps, and hardback instruction guides

Zelda Games of N64-One has a gold cart and came with a huge black tshirt with a gold Link on it (covered with glitter, no less, LMAO). The other has a shiny lenticular sticker on it.

Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 collector's edition-I picked this up for a mind blowingly cheap $10 at TRU clearance sale.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2-picked this up last year for $20 on an Amazon Warehouse deal. It has that adorable creepy plushy with it.

And do steelbooks count as CEs? I also have steelbooks for Metroid Prime and Cursed Mountain. I really like the steelbook for Cursed Mountain-it has a scary ass looking zombie Buddhist monk on the cover.

CE I really wish I would have gotten:
Earthbound-I remember in high school my friend had that set, I was so jealous and way too broke to afford it at the time.

Im really getting ahead of myself by buying almost every worthwile CE I see nowdays, and out of the ones I own, I'd have to say some of my favorites include: ToV, Street Fighter IV, Assassins Creed II, Devil May Cry 4.

Other mentionable games are: FFXII, Ar Tonelico 2, BlazBlue.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']Dead Space: Ultra Limited Edition. only because it was really limited.[/QUOTE]

I remember some talk about that, but I don't recall it actually being released. A couple months ago I tried doing a search on ebay and couldn't find anything.

[quote name='eastshore4']I remember some talk about that, but I don't recall it actually being released. A couple months ago I tried doing a search on ebay and couldn't find anything.[/QUOTE]

it was atleast 149.99 and seemed like it had no extras worth it.

Dragon Age had a solid LE, as did Assassin's Creed II. The Mass Effect 2 LE is just okay. If only they added the soundtrack like they did for Dragon Age.

Other than that....Bioshock, Fallout 3, Halo 3, Street Fighter IV, and those old school GameArts games like Lunar.

Another honorable mention:

Star Trek Online Deluxe Edition
Cool case
Costume Bonuses (Deep Space Nine and TNG)
Guest Passes
Book
Buncha other stuff

bread's done
Back