Best PC Strategy Game

dmpolska

CAGiversary!
Hey everyone! So yeah, I want to get my PC a strategy game but I don't know which one to get. I really want to get a good one.

P.S: I already have Civilization 3 and it rocks :)

id recommend warcraft 3 or starcraft, but if you're looking for something a little bit easier i started with Age of Empires 2, although now there's age of mythology which is a much more recent spin-off

But, those are all Real-Time Strategy games (RTS), theres also turn based (which is what Civ 3 is) for that you'll have to ask someone else

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']id recommend warcraft 3 or starcraft, but if you're looking for something a little bit easier i started with Age of Empires 2, although now there's age of mythology which is a much more recent spin-off
[/QUOTE]

I found AOE2 to be too complicated to learn, but that's just me, I'm simple minded.

Althought I really liked Rise of Nations. Its simpler than AOE2/AoMythology, but more complicated than C&C and Starcraft.

War Wind.

I also loved Age of Wonders, Rise of Nations, Homeworld, the old standbys (Warcraft, Starcraft, AOE), and...Risk.

Heroes of Might and MAgic 3 is a classic, and you should be able to pick it up on the cheap from somewhere. Look for Heroes 3 complete to get both the expansions as well.

Also, HOMM 3 > HOMM 4

Starcraft & SC: Brood War
Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition (maybe a bit too old. I've been playing this for 10 years)
Warcraft III & WC3: The Frozen Throne
Age of Empires II & AOEII: The Conquerors
Age of Mythology & AOM: The Titans

The most popular RTS games, and with good reason. Trust me. They're all modern classics.

[quote name='Drico']...
Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition (maybe a bit too old. I've been playing this for 10 years)
.[/QUOTE]

I gotta give big ups to Warcraft 2 as well, I still play that. Also the C&C series (except for Tiberian Sun) has brought me lots of good times.

Starcraft
Age of Empires 2
Warcraft 2
Caesar 2/3 (yeah, 2's kinda old school, hehe)
Heroes of the Might and Magic

I'm not considering the following classic because I've realized now that they were pretty bad games, but I used to like them when I was little. Did anyone play Conquest of the New World (or was it "to..") or Vikings?

I haven't played PC games in a while, so most of the stuff I've played and liked is also pretty old. I really enjoyed Civ3, Starcraft, and Warcraft 2. I have a couple that people haven't mentioned:

If you're looking for more turn based stuff and are open to some pretty old school stuff that's kinda different from the above mentioned stuff, I'd recommend the X-COM series (mainly the first two UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep). You basically run an defense organization that fights aliens trying to take over the world. Most of the game is you directly your team in alien infested areas. It's turn based strategy, but there's other micromanagement things (like keeping track of technology and stuff).

I was also a fan of Imperialism (1 & 2), though I wouldn't be surprised if some people found it boring. It's turn-based world conquering stuff (kind of like Civ), with a larger emphasis on micromanagement... particular on trade/economy. It's kind of like those strategy boards games, like Settlers of Catan.

You all forgot to mention the best RTS ever made: Total Annihilation. If you can find it in a bargain bin, pick it up. BEST GAME EVER.

It took away resource management as the main focus of the game and actually had REALISTIC combat....ya know, ships that actually attempted evasive manuvers.... DOGFIGHTS! While all of the bilzzard games are nicely balanced, I can't get over how the "fighting" consists of both sides getting withing range, and then blasting the hell out of each other....where's the strategy in that? It's much more fun to watch a pack of REALLY fast mobile infantry whipe out a pair of heavy tanks cuz they can't get out of their own way or target the fast moving infantry :)

Cause' light infantry would realistically be able to take out two tanks right? Even if the infantry had anti-tank weapons (don't tell me they use rifles to take out tanks...) carrying that equipment would slow them down significantly. Plus that would make them heavy infantry, not mobile infantry. I like the balanced units of the other games :D

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned come of the best strategy games ever, the Total War series.

Rome: Total War
Midieval: Total War
Shogun: Total War

Try those out.

[quote name='fanskad']I'm shocked nobody has mentioned come of the best strategy games ever, the Total War series.

Midieval: Total War
Shogun: Total War

Try those out.[/QUOTE]

I agree. They are all very good games.
Also, as a fan of Civ, the OP may enjoy the historical context of the series.

My two favorite strategy games are Dawn of War and Rome: Total War, personally. Dawn of War actually has gone beyond Total Annihilation and Warcraft 3 in my mind, and Rome... Well... It's Rome.

Though Medieval Total War is better than Rome in a few ways, Rome's still more enjoyable on the whole I think.

I'm a big fan of Shogun: Total War, but that's largely because I have a Japan-fetish. Not just the girls, mind you - but everything Japanese. And running around with a whole bunch of Geisha assassins is mucho fun. :D

[quote name='SqueeMK2']My two favorite strategy games are Dawn of War and Rome: Total War, personally. Dawn of War actually has gone beyond Total Annihilation and Warcraft 3 in my mind, and Rome... Well... It's Rome.

Though Medieval Total War is better than Rome in a few ways, Rome's still more enjoyable on the whole I think.[/QUOTE]

Dawn of War is awesome... easily the best RTS that no one played.

And for strategy...

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3
Fallout Tactics
Jagged Alliance 2 (but this game is hard as hell)
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

Now looking around at all of the choices and all of the websites and what not I think I know what game I'm going to get.

Supreme Ruler 2010

The people who made this game worked really hard on it and I suggest people read up on it... and even visit http://www.supremeruler2010.com

Should be a great game :)

[quote name='fanskad']I'm shocked nobody has mentioned come of the best strategy games ever, the Total War series.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, Rome: TW is really good.

I still will never be able to replace Myth I and II in my mind...:)

Rise of Nations, CC: Red Alert 2, also if you are looking for a challenge and a slightly different type of strategy game, check out Commandos 2 (there is a 3 but i have never played it).

bread's done
Back