Best "Pick-Up & Play" games of all time???

cyberlian

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
What are the best pickup and play games of all time broken down by single player and multiplayer. I am defining a pick-up and play game as any game that you can play for 20 min with the same satisfaction as you would get from hours of playing. Obviously, I'm not focusing on "deep" games like some rpgs or paticularly "long" action games. It could be some activity within a larger game such as going crazy in a GTA game.

Some examples

Single Player:
A quick rampage through GTA III, VC, or SA
Some burnout 3 or burnout revenge racing

Multiplayer:
A quick match of halo or sw battlefront
Super Smash Bros
Mayber some party games like mario party
Combat simulator in Perfect Dark 64

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Pocket Tanks, Pac Man, Zuma, Dead or Alive Series, and spank the monkey. (One of those aren't a video game)[/QUOTE]

Its only a game if you involve another person...

I like trying to beat Super Mario Brothers 1 & 3, and Super Mario World as fast as I can, so I guess that could count as a pick up and play.

...although my NES hasn't worked in a good while.

Tetris, already mentioned, is the ultimate pick up and play game.

Bar none. It's almost not even up for debate.

The only game more widely distributed, played and understood by players around the world would be Solitare, Free Cell or Minesweeper. Windows games shouldn't count though.

Ms. Pac-Man!!

20pacgal_3.png

Even Tetris takes a back seat to this game. Everyone can play it.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Nothing is more "pickup and play" to me than the WarioWares.[/QUOTE]
When I owned Warioware, I played most of the game in the bathroom. Definately pick up and go

BLADES OF STEEL and who didnt try to kick your brothers ass to play the mini game before the 3rd period???????

[quote name='MadFlava']pac-man or ms. pac-man
galaga
[/QUOTE]

Yes! I'm glad someone else nominated Ms. Pac-Man. I forgot about Galaga too.

Pong ftw!

What's more pick up and play simple than a game of single or multiplayer Pong. You don't even have to explain anything to anyone. They can just stare at the screen for five seconds, and then stare at the controller for seven more seconds or less and be ready to compete.

Not even Tetris comes close to Pong's learning curve.

Bounce that ball... bounce it real good.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Pong ftw!

What's more pick up and play simple than a game of single or multiplayer Pong. You don't even have to explain anything to anyone. They can just stare at the screen for five seconds, and then stare at the controller for seven more seconds or less and be ready to compete.

Not even Tetris comes close to Pong's learning curve.

Bounce that ball... bounce it real good.[/QUOTE]
But, it's nowhere near as fun as Tetris. yay for a learning curve, boo for replayability.

I can pick n' play advance wars DS. I just play a few turns or so save and turn it off. And in the same I can pck it up and play the whole war in one sitting, I just perfer to just play it a little at a time.

Hmmm, here's a few that come to mind:

Ninja Warriors(S-NES)
Megaman X4
Starfox/Starfox 64
Super Punch Out
Dynasty Warriors 3
2-d fighters
Halo(not the crappy sequel)
Time Crisis 2
Metal Slug games(even though I'm horrible at them, they're still fun)

Pretty much any classic 16 bit game or arcade game. Most of today's games are just too complex to be pick up and play games, which is why I retro game a lot. One great pick up and play game that I need to spend more time with is Treasure's Sin and Punishment.

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']Victorious Boxers, Snk vs Capcom Card Fighters, Street Fighter Series, Most handheld games.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing about Card Fighters. My problem is I'll "pick it up" but can't put it down. Such an addictive game.

Dead or Alive is also a good pick up play game cause it's fairly easy to play. Not to offend any high level DOA player but the simple, fast paced action makes it easy for anyone to button mash and pull off cool moves.

Super Tecmo Bowl

That game didn't leave my SNES in my dorm suite, for atleast a semester or two back in the day, and there was always a crowd to watch the games...ahhh, the memories!!

bread's done
Back