Best place to buy ramm for an apple computer

ryanbph

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
We have been waiting awhile now for the g5 to come with the intel chips, and with the new desktop that apple announced recently it is time for us to get one. I had read in other apple threads not to buy the ramm from apple. So which online store offers the best and most reasonable priced ramm. This is for a work computer, so I would prefer to have better made ramm, then saving a few bucks.

i posted about this in another forum and gave me some ideas but want to know if there are any other sites out there or current deals

I've long been a customer with www.ramjet.com. They ship fast, their pricing's competitive, and the customer service is great. I e:mailed them yesterday to see about when they'll have DIMMs available for the Mac Pro and here's the response:

"We have samples of each size (512mb, 1Gig, and 2Gig FB-DIMMs) of the new RAM type coming to us from all of the manufacturers that we normally use, and we have a 2.66Ghz MacPro on order with Apple with an estimated delivery in 3-5 days. As soon as we can complete our battery of compatibility and performance tests, and certify the module, we will have them for sale. So, it will probably be early next week.

I hope this helps.
"

That's my personal recommendation. :)

[quote name='brodiemash']www.datamem.com[/quote]

thanks for the link, but i didn't see anything about the new mac pro computer, maybe like the previous poster, they will have them in the next week or so. I am pretty sure the computer was just announced yesterday.

I've bought from RAMJET in the past, and I concur that they have the best service (and best website) out of the options. However, their prices are not the greatest. I have since used Other World Computing for my more recent Mac hardware purchases.

http://www.ramseeker.com/

Yeah, the memory for the MacPro is gonna be EXPENSIVE! On the Pro, the DIMMS are gonna have their own heat sink and according the Apple web site, the RAM that they provide is specifically designed to run on the system, meaning that 3rd party RAM may not work as efficiently. I think it's BS but the heat sink looks pretty cool! Good luck!

Crucial and Kingston are generally the flagbearers for memory and when they update their lines for the Mac Pro (NOT G5) they will be a fine choice too.

so how much ramm should I buy from apple as a base. We were looking at a total of about 8gb of ramm for the work computer.

[quote name='ryanbph']so how much ramm should I buy from apple as a base. We were looking at a total of about 8gb of ramm for the work computer.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what your line of work is. I beleive that the low end system already comes with a gig of RAM.

mostly graphic design. I make a catalog for our small company, going to be working on a website, print large sublimation projects from corel draw, and print large vector files to a laser engraver. Currently my computer has 512 ram, and it crashes every couple of hours. I run coreldraw and adobe photoshop daily. I use quarkexpress for the catalog. I haven't decided what program to use for webdesign. I will be running parrells (sp?) to run both windows and mac os. The reason for this is the sublimation and laser printers don't have drivers for mac os after os8 never mind the newer os they have, so it would just be easier to create the project in the apple os, and then transfer it to the windows side to print.

For the work your going to do, 2 Gigs total should be enough. I too am a designer and most computers in my office have no more than 2 Gigs and we never have a problem. The same for my Apple's at home. Are you running OSX? If so, 512 if barely enough for the OS. Even an extra 256 will show you a major increase in speed and reduce crashes, especcially when running Adobe CS programs.

Apple ram and PC ram are the same. You just have to use the right type (DDR or DDR2). I've heard that Apple Motherboards are more picky about the quality of ram though but have not experienced that myself yet.

Right now I am using a dell computer that is about 5 years old. We can't go any higher then the 512. If I am running the osx and windows at the same time (the parrells virtual setup), also running photoshop and corel draw should I pump it up to 4gb of ramm? Printing some of the vector files to the laser sometimes take over an hour to go from the pc to the laser engraving printer.

Sounds like you guys need to buy a RIP, but that's another issue. Like I said 2 Gig should be enough, but if the powers that be allow it, I'd go for 4 Gigs.

Only the hardest of the hardcore need 4GB+, I use 3GB on my media center because that's all Windows XP will use, I don't know what OSX(newest version) will ACCTUALLY take advantage of.

[quote name='brodiemash']Sounds like you guys need to buy a RIP, but that's another issue. Like I said 2 Gig should be enough, but if the powers that be allow it, I'd go for 4 Gigs.[/quote]
What RIP? Its a small family company, and my father doesn't like to spend money. It is a stretch to get him at $6k on a computer. One of the employee's here is a college student so we are having him buy the computer to get the college discount. He will get the free ipod out of the deal.

Based on my experience, I doubt you'd need more than 2 GB of RAM for graphic design work (though more is pretty much always better). Especially since you said that cost is an option, just go with the 2 GB and see how that works out at first, then go from there. You can always upgrade later.

I have a dual-processor PowerMac G5 at my office (I'm a researcher working with 8 GB text data files) and only once in a while, when analyzing these files, do I ever go near the 4 GB of RAM installed in the machine. My iMac at home has 2 GB of RAM and it's more than enough for just about everything. I rarely hit the swap space. Mac OS X likes about 750 MB of RAM for a "happy" system, which would leave about 1.25 GB of RAM for your graphic design work. Unless you're working on absolutely massive graphics, you should be able to fit most stuff into that memory.

But anyway, RAM is so expensive that I'd just go with the 2 GB at first and if you notice some heavy swap use, then up it to 4 GB. If you can, get 2 GB sticks (they're more expensive, but will allow more room to grow in the future.)

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info...gotta remeber i will be running windows at the same time, which will be another 500 mb roughly. I think I will go with the 4gb to start out. Going to a Mac store today. Going to get any other ? I have so I can order it on saturday, as MA is having tax free day. The computer won't qualify, but the monitor and software will.

it is for 2gb of ramm...and to do that on the mac website it costs a lot more even with a student discount. Thanks broadie for the info. The guy at the mac store told me to go with the bare min from mac, and then to upgrade with the owc store.

bread's done
Back