Best place to get gas???

lionheart4life

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
The kind that goes in your car (sorry Taco Bell). I'm wondering where the best place to get it is, in terms of price and mileage per gallon/tank. I know some companies are better than others in terms or mileage. Prices are pretty much similar at all stations, so I'm just wondering if there are links to any sites that compare the quality of fuel from different stations. All I've ever heard is basically word of mouth recommendations without any actual data to back them up. I have heard Hess is the best, but I have also heard from others that its the worst also, so I don't know. I just figured myself and others would like to find out where to get the most value for our money. If you don't have facts or a link, I would also appreciate recommendations based on personal experience.

Yeah, I guess some stations may vary for different octanes as well. I'm most interested in regular unleaded, which is 86 or 88 or something like that. I wish I was driving something that required 93.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Probably Taco Bell.[/QUOTE]

I already said no Taco Bell. That's a bad, baaaad place to get your gas from, even if its cheap.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Well here Safeway and Costco gas are cheap but I'm not sure you have either of those in NY.[/QUOTE]

Nope, for some reason we're missing a lot of major gas companies all over the state. We don't have those or BP or Agway (in western NY), unless BP is a supplier for something else. It's mostly Hess, Sunoco, Kwik-Fill, Mobil etc. The gas at Super Wal-Mart is the cheapest locally, but I'm pretty sure its not the best. My mom gets it from there sometimes and she seems to go through it quicker than from other stations. SavOn is even cheaper than that because it's owned by Indian Reservations, but those are all mostly on the thruway.

Asking where to get good gas is like asking who makes the best bread. You have you about 5-10 major national companies, and then you have tens of local places. My point is I have never heard of Hess gas companies at all. Here in Dayton ohio we have; shell, BP, marathon, starfire and lots of other that I can't think of right now. I can ask people what is the best and they will all have different opinions on all of them. Gas is mass produce just like bread so in general it will be good and every now and then you will have bad and great gas. The reason I think that you can't find a website about fuel quality is because it has to meet certain standards. There is so many variables to gasoline performance it is hard to generalize it. The cleanness of the tanker truck, the underground storage tanks, the cleanness and performance of your car will also differ its performance.

Here at some stores called Giant Eagle they have gas stations and like for every 50 bucks you spend you get 10 cents off every gallon for im not sure how many gallons.

I also live in Dayton, Ohio(what a coincidence) and I work at a Kroger here. Kroger here has a promotion where if you spend $100 in groceries(not too hard, I do that already being an employee there >.>), you get 10 cents off a gallon that next fill up.

Gas around here is an ok price, I guess.($1.96 for 88 octane this afternoon anyways), sometimes it gets down around 1.85 or so, and then I fill up.)

Otherwise, Swifty is good, but that might be local ionno.

Yeah I know there are a lot of variables, we did something involving purifying an alkane in an organic chemistry lab in school, similar to what is done to produce fuel with a certain octane but on a much smaller scale. Most people had quite different results, so even the smallest variable will affect performance. I was just wondering if there was anything out there that maybe tracked the performance of the major suppliers on a national scale (it would be very difficult to rate all of the local cornerstores and all). I know quality can vary at different times, but it would be nice to know which supplier you had the best chance of getting good gas from.

Anywhere that isn't the Bay Area (especially the penninsula). Seriously, you bastards are really lucky.

I prefer Sunoco, I also like amoco, and bp (same company), don't trust many others, but when there is no place else to get gas, don't be picky :)

did a study a few years ago, and sunoco's gas was the best in terms of last quality... hope this helps and don't contine to fill your tank with 94 octane fuel unless you wanna burn shit it up (just a thought)

Depends on if you want a cleaner engine (and better gas milage) or if you just want to save money. Go for the gas with a good additive, personally I get only Chevron so I can get the techron additive. You can also just buy cheap gas and run a bottle of cleaner through the tank once a month or so, just use a good one (techron, seafoam, etc.). And buying a higher octane gas than is required is a waste of money and can ruin your engine (on newer cars) because the computer is programmed for a certain octane and it can screw up the knock sensor.

Wow,

Well different states will do different underground tank programs so its going to vary largely. That taken though here is my experience.

Personally I like Bp/Amoco (same), Sunoco is good as well as Chevron. Again take a look at the station to. If its older chances are it will have more of a chance to get water in the tanks.

In michigan you can call on a station if you feel they are not giving you a full gallon and I have a station that I am almost positive isnt.

Cheapest is not always the best. I do however have great luck with Sams Club (our local stores policy is .03 cents above cost everyday) that .03 covers the attendant etc.

I also have great luck with Meijer.

Another thing to notice is day to day fluctuation. If you watch it you will see generally the price of gas drops mid week. Normally Wednesday + or - a day. That is when you should fill up an try to ride it out till the next week. If you need gas on the weekend I personally dont refill I just drop the minimum I can get away with in.

Gas here is $2.30 or so a gallon for premium as of today. Last week it was 2.08 on wednesday @ Sams and jumped to $2.44 on Thursday at other retailers...

The Octane will fluctuate with height above sea level in your state or area. so here its normally 88/90/92 or 93 depending on station quality. Speedways generally have 92 octane as "premium" while Amoco, BP Mobiel etc run 93 or even 94.

Good luck

[quote name='lionheart4life']I'm wondering where the best place to get it is, in terms of price and mileage per gallon/tank. [/QUOTE]There's no difference in miles/gallon. That's just marketing BS.

As for quality, I just use whatever's cheapest... which allowed my last car to go 340,000 miles!

Best thing you can do: Get a AAA card, which subtracts ~10 cents off each gallon.

troy

Miles per gallon can fluctuate a little bit depending on how good the gas is. Higher octane doesn't mean its "better" exactly, certain cars require different purities depending on their engine. I also use the cheapest I can, because thats what my car requires and I wouldn't gain anything by paying for more expensive gas, and it actually may damage the engine. From what everyone is saying, it seems like its basically a crapshoot which station will have the best gas at a given time, and it depends on a lot of factors which I'm sure the stations would never disclose information about.

Vpr - Thanks for the link, its seems to be pretty accurate. I just paid $2.24 a gallon last time I got some, and its dropped a cent at most places since then.

Follandboy - I agree, the Indian Reservations are by far the cheapest to get gas, there just isn't one all that near to me unfortunately. I remember a couple months ago they ran a story on the news about how reservations where charging too much for gas. Apparently they get a much bigger tax break than they are passing on to the consumer. They do sell for about 20 cents less than most places, but that price is marked up considerably from what they should be charging. Around here they put a blockade on tankers transporting gas to the reservations in order to force them to lower prices. I never heard a follow up on it though so I'm not too sure what happened after that.

well you really think about it....if your gonna fill regular than it shouldnt matter..with the other octane levels it should matter...i fel bad because your in NY...they never get cheap on gas...

[quote name='lionheart4life']I'm wondering where the best place to get it is, in terms of price and mileage per gallon/tank. [/QUOTE]There's no difference in miles/gallon. That's just marketing BS. Shell once advertised a "special blend", and when I calculated the supposed savings, it came to +0.1 MPG. Whoop-te-do.

As for quality, I just use whatever's cheapest... which allowed my last car to go 340,000 miles!

Best thing you can do: Get a AAA card, which subtracts ~10 cents off each gallon.

troy

[quote name='jennie25']I prefer Sunoco, I also like amoco, and bp (same company), don't trust many others, but when there is no place else to get gas, don't be picky :)

did a study a few years ago, and sunoco's gas was the best in terms of last quality... hope this helps and don't contine to fill your tank with 94 octane fuel unless you wanna burn shit it up (just a thought)[/QUOTE]

HUH??? The higher the octane the slower the gas explodes... Which is why it's pointless to buy higher octane gas for cars that do not require it. Only high compression engines require high octane gas... and in those cases you cannot use the cheap stuff.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']BP is the best gas in the country[/QUOTE]

BP & Arco (am/pm) are the same gas now...both crap. (BP owns Arco)

[quote name='lionheart4life']I'm wondering where the best place to get it is, in terms of price and mileage per gallon/tank. [/QUOTE]There's no difference in miles/gallon. That's just marketing BS. Shell once advertised a "special blend", and when I calculated the supposed savings, it came to +0.1 MPG. Whoop-te-do.

troy

I was too lazy to read the whole thread, but if you go to the Yahoo search engine, just type in "gas" and then your zip code. for instance, "gas 90210" This will bring up gas buddy and another gas website that shows you your local gas prices. Good luck.

[quote name='electrictroy']There's no difference in miles/gallon. That's just marketing BS. Shell once advertised a "special blend", and when I calculated the supposed savings, it came to +0.1 MPG. Whoop-te-do.

troy[/QUOTE]

How does AAA get .10 per gallon off exactly?

electrictroy- How did you have that exact same post before my last post, but now its gone and is now after my last post? That's kind of weird. I don't think my AAA card gives me anything off gas either, maybe you need a higher level membership since all I have is the most basic, towing, etc.

EDIT - Ooops, I see the confusion. I should have said, "AAA Credit Card"
[quote name='Snake2715']How does AAA get .10 per gallon off exactly?[/QUOTE]Well, let's say I buy 10 gallons of gasoline at $2/gallon = $20 total.

AAA will refund $1.00 on my card statement.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']EDIT - Ooops, I see the confusion. I should have said, "AAA Credit Card"
Well, let's say I buy 10 gallons of gasoline at $2/gallon = $20 total.

AAA will refund $1.00 on my card statement.

troy[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see. That's probably about the best savings you can hope to get on gas. I have something similar where I get 5% cash back on gas purchases, but you have to reach a certain dollar amount before they will give you a check for it and so far I'm not even close.

Is your card the Citi Dividend Card? I just got that card, but have not used it yet. I like the idea of getting 5% off of my groceries.

I prefer the AAA and Discover Card method of applying the rebate directly to your credit card statement. Less hassle, than waiting for a check.
troy

bread's done
Back