Best place to get PS3 reballed or repaired?

Blips

CAGiversary!
My 60 GB backwards compatible PS3 just got the dreaded yellow light of death. Plus there's a Netflix Blu-ray stuck in there.

I’m not going to pay Sony $130 plus tax to give me a refurbished console and only a 90 day warranty.

I’ve read that getting the PS3 reballed with lead solder could lead to the system lasting longer than just having the lead free solder reflowed.

Has anyone had this service done? Could you recommend a place to have this service performed?

Thank you in advance.

Yeah, when this happened to me (in January 2012), I was looking at my options. GopherMods was recommended. I contacted them via email and asked a few questions:

"We preserve all of your saved data and return any game you had with the console. You do get one free repair outside of the standard 6 month warranty period. You are correct, the reball is a more robust repair and the same details apply as well."

"Yes, the reball lifetime is around 1-2 years, we haven’t had nearly as many reball consoles as reflow consoles so we don’t have as large of a sample size for reballs as we do for reflown consoles. The reflow service (Blinking red light/YLOD) has a variable life span, as we have seen some go for 3+ years and others have an average of around 8-9 months. "

At the time the reball service had an approximately 60 day wait.

I decided to do the hairblower trick, which was successful. That allowed me to get my disk out and back-up the PS3 data. Then I traded it in to GameStop for $150 under a trade-in promotion and got a slim for $99 (using trade-in credit). I liked my old PS3 better but I didn't play any PS2 games and I didn't want to deal with it YLoD again... figured I get a new Slim and a new warranty.

bread's done
Back