Best place to purchase an iPod?

MugenNoKaze

CAGiversary!
What do you guys think?

I have an older generation one (15 gig) and I would like a new one. The 30 gig one is nice but I'm also thinking of the 80 gig because I have tons of music on my HDD.

What about the Zune? What do you guys think of it?

Thanks!

the best place to buy an ipod would actually be in the ipod store with the student/teacher discount. if you're still in school, from k-12 and even college/university, u get a 30% discount (correct me if im wrong) on ipods, ibooks, etc.

u can also try craigslist and find some deals, but beware, coz u mite end up getting a messed up ipod.

as for the zune... i personally dont like it. other people love, but its not my thing. my take on it is that its too bulky and the song sharing thing is pointless since u can only have it for a limited amount of time.

I would recomend the refurbished iPods straight from apple. I have ordered 2 now (a 30GB Video and 4GB nano) and they have both arrived quickly in mint condition with great battery life after over a year of use now and no problems to date. It's the same ipod you get in stores, but with cardboard packaging :)

And $169.99 w/ free shipping for a 30GB iPod video that is basically new? You can't beat that

The Apple online store no longer gives education discounts on ipods. If you want a cheaper than retail ipod you'll need to get a refub one since they never ever go on sale.

Yeah I'm now in the Ipod hunt as well and was looking into the educational discount and that's a no go. And since they never go on sale, it's looking like it's a refurb or go to a store. Which if i decide on that will probably be Best Buy since i can atleast collect some reward zone pts. off it.

ps. On the refurbs, how's the casing/screen? any signs of wear? also are these under warranty?

I got a zune last friday from staples (30gb on sale $190 til 23rd) and absolutely love it.

Great sound clarity, big beautiful screen that is easy to navigate, and i haven't had a single hitch with the zune programs. The included headphones are pretty terrible but I think that's standard for mp3 players.

I've read a lot of folks having issues with their zune synching etc but i haven't had a single problem and recommend it 100%.

My favorite part is the matte finish that doesn't show fingerprints at all.

If you are looking for a used one, I have one in my tradelist bundled with a case and speaker system. :)

Before I purchased the iPod, I had a Zune for a few days. I really liked it, but it doesn't work with my imac and had to exchange it for the iPod.

[quote name='MugenNoKaze']What do you guys think?

I have an older generation one (15 gig) and I would like a new one. The 30 gig one is nice but I'm also thinking of the 80 gig because I have tons of music on my HDD.

What about the Zune? What do you guys think of it?

Thanks![/quote]

I bought a refurb from apple. It is impossible to tell it's not brand new. Maybe I just got lucky though.

Another +1 for Apple's refurbs. I've bought 4 through them in the last year(1 20GB 4th Gen, 1 30GB 5th Gen, 1 1st Gen Nano, 1 4GB 2nd Gen Nano) and they've all come in new condition without any issues. From what I can tell they use the innards from returned/repaired iPods and give them a brand new casing. They give you a 1 year warranty on refurbs too.

If you go through the Slickdeals link posted up top you can get a 4GB nano for $120 or a 30GB iPod Video for $170.

Well i pulled the trigger on the 30gb refurb.

was 190 shipped. tax was 20.

Is there anything else I should get, or that you guys recommend for an ipod?

If you want to charge your iPod via a regular outlet, you will need an AC adapter. I think it would just be money wasted though, as you can charge it out of the box via any USB port, even the 360s.

$169 was too much of a steal, I went ahead and got one, hehe.

Oh, how long did it take to ship to you guys? I'm leaving for vacation next Saturday so I was hoping to get it in time! :D

I ordered mine Tuesday (I think) and it is scheduled to arrive the 26th. It was shipped out of CA and has to come to the east coast though. Someone closer to CA might get it quicker.

On another note if someone is really looking for portable external speakers, I can recommend the logitech im600's. I got them for my wife from Best Buy for her B-Day and she is pretty happy with them. I do not have audiophile tastes, but I do think they sound pretty good (imho) for what they are. I (unfortunatly) paid full price since it was a last minute gift, but amazon has them on sale right now for $115. Not a bad deal if you are looking for something like this.

Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1182559164&sr=8-1

Cnet has a review on them too if you are looking for more info:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-player-...m600/4505-6519_7-32402791.html?tag=prod.txt.1

Biscuit

I bought a 4gb refurb nano from overstock and it is over a year old and no problems, it did come with some minor scratches. I ordered a 2gb nano refur from apple and it was in mint condition. A few weeks ago I purchased 2 new Zunes and the wife and I love them. Big easy to read screen, it transfers all of your songs and playlist over from itunes.

My mom has a promotion at her job about opening tea accounts for points, yadadada. Anyway, my sister snagged a nano last year from the promotion, and I'm getting the new gen 4 gig from the promotion this year. It is a yearly thing.

[quote name='specialk']Can any recommend some good cheap cases for the 30 gig?[/QUOTE]

Yes, anyone know of any? I'd like a nice one for mine. I also need a car kit so I can play it in the car. :D

Just an update... I received the two I ordered a couple days ago and they look and are working great. I cannot speak about battery life yet, but my wife is very happy with her new ipods.

bread's done
Back