best pokemon to start

yourlefthand

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
My 9-year-old daughter is interested in trying a Pokemon game. What is the best one to start with. I've heard firered, does that seem about right?

can you even find pokemon red?

i would just suggest getting whatevers current or the previous edition of whatever is current. the game has...haha...evolved a bit since red.

also for which system?

If she has a GBA then I'd go for ruby or sapphire since those are first games of the GBA generation. They introduced abilities and gameplay mechanics that every game has had since then.

If she no chance for a GBA game, I'd suggest platinum or diamond. I'm only suggesting based on chronology since all except the spinoff series are adventure with hunting and gathering. Hope it helps!

[quote name='100xp']can you even find pokemon red?

i would just suggest getting whatevers current or the previous edition of whatever is current. the game has...haha...evolved a bit since red.

also for which system?[/QUOTE]

Well, I can find fire-red. She has a DS, so GBA games are the earliest options.

I'd recommend Leaf green or Fire red and the original versions over ruby or sapphire. Purely on the fact that they are a bit more dumbed down. They don't need a internal battery (most of ruby's and sapphire's are dead) and on that note i would stay away from crystal, gold, and silver because they suffer from the same problems. Black, White, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum are all good choices. Every Pokemon game explains the rules and how things work (fire hurts grass, grass hurts water, water hurts fire). Lastly i recommend picking the fire Pokemon as your starter which ever game you pick. It will be harder at first but easier in the long run.

The better question to ask is why does she want to try pokemon?

If she watches the cartoons and wants to play the game because she like them, then you should get her the version that is the closest to the series she likes the most. In other words, if she started watching Pokemon at Diamond/Pearl then you should get her one of those copies.

Alternatively, if she wants to try it because her friends are "all playing pokemon" and enjoy it, then you should find out what versions her friends have. I know it seems dumb, but if her friends are playing White/Black then getting her anything older opens her up to "Yuck, what are you playing that old game for?"

If her interest comes from something else (sees family enjoying it, sees the games and thinks it looks like fun, etc), then I say simply go with whichever one you can find for the cheapest on GBA/DS. If she's just looking to play a Pokemon game, then any one should work equally well.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']The better question to ask is why does she want to try pokemon?

If she watches the cartoons and wants to play the game because she like them, then you should get her the version that is the closest to the series she likes the most. In other words, if she started watching Pokemon at Diamond/Pearl then you should get her one of those copies.

Alternatively, if she wants to try it because her friends are "all playing pokemon" and enjoy it, then you should find out what versions her friends have. I know it seems dumb, but if her friends are playing White/Black then getting her anything older opens her up to "Yuck, what are you playing that old game for?"

If her interest comes from something else (sees family enjoying it, sees the games and thinks it looks like fun, etc), then I say simply go with whichever one you can find for the cheapest on GBA/DS. If she's just looking to play a Pokemon game, then any one should work equally well.[/QUOTE]
This is an excellent answer. I was going to recommend "any of them" as well, but why she wants to play Pokemon and how she became interested in it in the first place are important factors worth considering.

Thanks people! I'll be watching for one of the GBA carts to start her on, I guess. She doesn't have any friends that play the video games, and I know she's never watched any of the shows.

Basically all the pokemon games have the same mechanics and flow of the game, and are the same style, unless you are going for the spinoff games which are all radically different, and IMO, not that good. If she is just starting I would recommend whatever you can get the cheapest, in case she does not like the game, this way you aren't out a whole lot of money if it doesn't work out. The GBA games can be more expensive than the DS ones depending on where you shop. You will have to trade to get all the Pokemon, so you will need 2 GBA's and a link cable, and copies of the games you need to trade from. You can't trade from GBA to DS, but you can transfer from your GBA games to your DS games if you have a DS Lite or DS Phat. But you can't do that with a DSi or 3DS since the systems don't have a GBA slot. A lot of kids have a love hate relationship with Pokemon, so I would just start with one and see where that goes.

Overall I think I would skip Diamond and Pearl, although they are very good, but Platinum is the 3rd version of Diamond and Pearl, so I would just get that one and skip out on the previous 2. Keep in mind that everyone on the GTS aka wifi trading only wants ridiculous trades, so if you need a pokemon the best way is to just put up a pokemon of your own and wait until it gets traded for whatever you want. The ridiculous trades will lead to disappointment for a child who just wants to trade regular pokemon online.

Seconded on HeartGold and SoulSilver, easily my top entries in the series followed by Black and White. FireRed and LeafGreen following closely behind.

Gold/Silver/Crystal were the best in the series, imo, so I could only think Heart Gold/Soul Silver would be every bit as good. Sapphire was really fun (and it actually had something of a story at some point!). FireRed/LeafGreen is probably the best starting point though, as they are remakes of the first games.

If you're thinking about a FitBit, get the HeartGold or Soul Silver instead. The Pokewalker will inspire you or your family to walk more, considering the in-game rewards, as well as your physical health.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']If you're thinking about a FitBit, get the HeartGold or Soul Silver instead. The Pokewalker will inspire you or your family to walk more, considering the in-game rewards, as well as your physical health.[/QUOTE]

Or they might end up sitting on the couch and shaking the pokewalker while watching TV :lol:

You can put the pokewalker on top of the washing machine or dryer to rack up points, at least this will inspire you and your children to do the laundry!

bread's done
Back