Best pre-paid cell phone

[quote name='cmb00']i have tmobile 50.00 a month no contract, samsung dart, unlimited talk text and web.[/QUOTE]Yeah, but first 100 mbs at '4g' then it gets throttled down to 2g. That's barely faster than dial up.

I always recommend page plus. www.pagepluscellular.com

They run on Verizon's network and you can use almost any Verizon branded phone (just buy one one ebay used or new). They currently have a $55/month plan with unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data. Also, their customer service (when I've had to call) has always been in the US.

I would NEVER recommend virgin mobile. They run on sprint and while their prices are cheap, their data is SLOWWWWWW. When I had them there were times (at least once a day) when I couldn't get data to work at all. Customer service with them also blows ass....

Verizon prepaid I am told is the only prepaid with truly unlimited data (T-mobile might have it too). I am not sure the speed it offers but it is unlimited. However, they are extremely expensive ($30/month add on for just unlimited data) and their prepaid phones are limited in selection and very expensive.

[quote name='Haggar']Virgin Mobile is the cheapest, but god help you if you need customer service.[/QUOTE]

I've had VM for about 3 months and I'm happy with the phone service. I have heard a lot of bad things about their CS but I've called them twice (once for an order I made in mistake, once to help activate my phone) and I didn't really have any issues.

Virgin Mobile. Last time I got $10 coupon postcard due to inactivity while I'm on $25 plan. So $15 is a steal if you waited at least 60 days until 90 days before they deactivate your account.

I dropped Virgin Mobile back in November. Now every few weeks I get emails from them begging me to come back, like a lonely ex girlfriend. They did throw in an email in between about how they would be throttling data after you use a certain amount. Although they did offer to give me 1 month for free to come back.

Ah cellular, now we're in my territory!

You need to look at coverage maps for where you use the device. This can vary greatly from area to area, and price doesn't mean a thing if you can't use it.

Verizon is going to have the best coverage nationwide. Around $100 for the unlimited plan, though, with a smartphone. However, you can use any of the Verizon post paid phones, aside from the iPhone. Grab a good used Bionic or Droid Razr off Craigslist, and be happy.

Pageplus isn't bad, but 1gb data will go fast. The support also isn't great.

VM is OK. They're cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you live in a metro area they can work well. Get outside those areas, and coverage disappears. Sprint also has really slow data. There are ways to use some of the post paid Android phones, but it takes hacking and work. No support. The devices they sell suck.

Boost is the same as VM unless you buy an iDen device. That network is being shut down now.

Check the regional carriers as well. Some of them can offer pretty good deals.

[quote name='Nophix']

VM is OK. They're cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you live in a metro area they can work well. Get outside those areas, and coverage disappears. Sprint also has really slow data. There are ways to use some of the post paid Android phones, but it takes hacking and work. No support. The devices they sell suck.
[/QUOTE]

We recently drove from our home in northern Illinois to Dallars, then to Phoenix, then to Denver and then back home. We drove though many endless fields of corn and rather desolate deserts. The only areas where coverage was dead (and I mean literally, it couldn't even find the network meaning there wasn't even phone service) was from the Grand Canyon, through Utah, and until we reached the Denver city limits. But those areas are basically devoid of any human life so it wasn't too surprising.

Otherwise, I got 3G 75% of the way and 1x the rest.

Everything else is accurate though, their phones suck (basically they're 1-1.5 years behind technologically and since there's no contract, they're expensive as hell) and Sprint's 3G network isn't very fast, but with apps speeds aren't as big a deal as they used to be.

I have page plus, I don't use data, and I hardly use the phone at all, but it works just fine. Its also the absolutely cheapest plan you can find at $10 every 4 months. Its totally ideal for those that need a phone only for emergencies like me. Once you get the phone set up and activated its really easy. And I am a newbie to this and I was able to set up a palm pixi plus all by myself.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have page plus, I don't use data, and I hardly use the phone at all, but it works just fine. Its also the absolutely cheapest plan you can find at $10 every 4 months. Its totally ideal for those that need a phone only for emergencies like me. Once you get the phone set up and activated its really easy. And I am a newbie to this and I was able to set up a palm pixi plus all by myself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I used to do this with them. It really is the cheapest you can find for an emergency phone. It's too bad not many people know about them.

[quote name='Vinny']We recently drove from our home in northern Illinois to Dallars, then to Phoenix, then to Denver and then back home. We drove though many endless fields of corn and rather desolate deserts. The only areas where coverage was dead (and I mean literally, it couldn't even find the network meaning there wasn't even phone service) was from the Grand Canyon, through Utah, and until we reached the Denver city limits. But those areas are basically devoid of any human life so it wasn't too surprising.

Otherwise, I got 3G 75% of the way and 1x the rest.

Everything else is accurate though, their phones suck (basically they're 1-1.5 years behind technologically and since there's no contract, they're expensive as hell) and Sprint's 3G network isn't very fast, but with apps speeds aren't as big a deal as they used to be.[/QUOTE]

I used VM as a backup when I drove OTR. There are good and bad areas. You couldn't pay me to have VM in Wisconsin outside Milwaukee or Madison.

But, as I said before, OP needs to research what works in his area. It could be just the ticket for him.

Where I'm at now, AT&T is hands down best. Verizon isn't available, and Sprint service is horrible.

Where my in laws live, my phone doesn't even work. I have AT&T post paid. Verizon works great.

It all depends on coverage. For me VM is awesome and with keepcalling.com I pay $23.75 a month. Do you use a lot of minutes? T mobile has unlimited text and data but 100 min for 30 I think it is. Check out the coverage maps before you buy

bread's done
Back