Best Price for an Xbox 360?

phnord

CAG Veteran
Hey Everyone,

I'm finally looking to get my hands on a 360, but don't know of any current deals to jump on. My final setup would look something like this:

- Console
- 2 controllers (at least)
- HDD (don't know what size I'll need; I hope to download at least a few games like Braid and Rez)
- Gold Annual Membership

Additionally, I'm interested in eventually playing the following games - so if there are any bundle deals including any of them I'd be up for that:

- The Orange Box
- Mirror's Edge
- Braid
- Bioshock
- Beautiful Katamari
- Fable II
- Mass Effect
- Viva Pinata
- Rez HD
- Sonic Unleashed
- Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon
- Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
- Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
- Assassin's Creed
- Mortal Kombat vs. DC universe
- Soul Calibur IV
- Eternal Sonata
- Portal: Still Alive
- Lost Odyssey
- Fallout 3
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Blue Dragon
- Halo 3
- The Last Remnant
- Infinite Undiscovery
- Gears of War

My timeframe for this is to get it by the holiday's, as a gift for my house. Does anyone have any deals to suggest to me? Any places to look for deals? Any advice on how to go about obtaining a 360 for a good price by the holiday's?

Should I be waiting to look for one? I know a lot of good deals tend to crop up as you get closer to the season...

Any and all advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Andy

You just missed out on Dell.com's sale that had the console bundles at some great prices with free shipping (since they weigh metric tons JK)

If you have Paypal and use eBay, you can sign up with Microsoft's Cashback program @ http://search.live.com/cashback, where they refund you 30% of the buying (not including shipping) price in the period of 60 days when you click through their links and use the Buy-It-Now option on most items on eBay (that DO NOT use a 3rd party checkout system).

So if you're lucky enough to find a trustworthy 360 bundle for ~$300 and they offer free shipping and Buy-It-Now, you can earn as much as $100, making the final total about $200.

Also, if this is not an option, you can maybe wait for Amazon to sell some sort of console bundle for the holidays. Most states don't have to pay tax (good thing for things like this) on Amazon goods and $25 purchases and up are shipped free if they're sold by Amazon (another good thing for console purchases).

You also just missed out on Toys R Us' famous "Buy 2, get 1 FREE" deal that worked on the $5,10,20,50, 60 games. That would have taken care of FOrce Unleashed, Soul Calibur 4 and Spider-Man Web of Shadows, as you could have gotten them for about ~$45 with on of them being free (trading in one $60 game for Spider-Man when it comes out).

On the other hand, if you are not against buying used games, EB Games/Gamestop is currently running a Buy 2, Get 1 FREE on ALL their used games/accessories. Couple that with your EDGE Card, which then takes off another 10% off used game/accessories purchases, and you can get some, if not all of those games on the cheap. Coupon is on their website and runs from 10/17 to 10/24.

As for a spare controller and Live membership, try joining Best Buy's Reward Zone program where you earn cashback on Bastard Buy purchases. If I remember, you earn $5 for every $250 spent there, and they send out coupons like $15 off $75 purchases periodically. That can lessen the bite on your online play and spare controller problem.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks a lot - that was all really helpful! I have a few questions about the eBay option though.

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']If you have Paypal and use eBay, you can sign up with Microsoft's Cashback program @ http://search.live.com/cashback, where they refund you 30% of the buying (not including shipping) price in the period of 60 days when you click through their links and use the Buy-It-Now option on most items on eBay (that DO NOT use a 3rd party checkout system).

So if you're lucky enough to find a trustworthy 360 bundle for ~$300 and they offer free shipping and Buy-It-Now, you can earn as much as $100, making the final total about $200.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I bought my Wii as a bundle back around the time it came out on eBay, so I am pretty comfortable with used eBay purchases. However, the 360 is another story because of the Red Ring Of Death and the Warranty.

If I buy through eBay, is there a way to still be under warranty? If someone can guide me through how to double-check on that I'd appreciate it.

Additionally, I'm unsure of how this whole cashback thing works. Do I have to find the deal through the Cashback search on the site, or does it work with any and all eBay purchases that use Paypal? Or am I missing something else?

In any case, thanks again for all of the great advice.

Hey, I'm new to the CAG forums, but I want to be seen as a good poster so I'll help you out :)

Cashback:

Go to live.com

Search for "xbox"

Click on the advertise links on the top of the search results. They tend to be highlighted and they say "save 30% on ebay with Cashback"

Click on it.

From here just buy anything you want. It doesn't matter what you searched for it just has to be bought "Buy it Now" and withing an hour that you clicked the ad. The money takes a while to be refunded. 60 days, but hey its 30% off!

For ebay warranty, check out squaretrade.com

I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it and it seems legit and cheap!

Hope this helped.

gamedealdaily is selling a used 360 for ~85 bucks (though be warned. It's used and not all games work according to their website)
http://www.gamedealdaily.com/store/product.php?product=1026

Amazon marketplace is selling a 12 month live premium bundle (includes a headset, 200 microsoft points, bankshot billards 2) for 34 bucks inclluding shipping.

If you live near a target, they're clearancing the 20 gb hard drive (assuming they haven't sold out and if you're planning on buying an arcade console). Microsoft themselves are also selling it for 20 bucks (with a 360 purchase)

[quote name='MrChan']gamedealdaily is selling a used 360 for ~85 bucks (though be warned. It's used and not all games work according to their website)
http://www.gamedealdaily.com/store/product.php?product=1026

Amazon marketplace is selling a 12 month live premium bundle (includes a headset, 200 microsoft points, bankshot billards 2) for 34 bucks inclluding shipping.

If you live near a target, they're clearancing the 20 gb hard drive (assuming they haven't sold out and if you're planning on buying an arcade console). Microsoft themselves are also selling it for 20 bucks (with a 360 purchase)[/quote]

I would stay away from that console personally. Not only does it not function properly(the way it is described on the site makes it sound about 1 week away from RROD aside from the tray problems) and probably not have a warranty, but it also does not come with a controller or power unit. That's and extra 40$ at least just to get it to turn on and use it. So you have a 120$ arcade that is halfway defective on arrival.

Yeah, $85 for a defective system is not a good deal. As someone who likes to fix things and works on computers, I might...might...be willing to pay $50 on something like that, but you're just looking at headaches in a situation like that. Not worth it.

bread's done
Back