best PSP screen protectors?

spincut

CAGiversary!
i remember with the DS there were some brands that were better than others, although in this case one does not have to worry about how good the stylus screen works.

anyhow, in general, is there a synonymous best brand? one that is the easiest to position, looks the best (or is the most unoticeable i guess), and leaves no residue/ is easy to remove?

I ordered a genuine hori and a knockoff from DX last week, let's see if there's any actual difference!

I bought a hori protector for my DS, where it was much more of an issue for considering it had to cooperate well with the touch screen. but i recall it not cooperating well when i decided to peel it off, leaving a sticky surface behind.

That and i'd want to know why you think the hori is better over another screen protector, since it isnt sold stateside and would have to be imported.

Again, for those that think Hori is the best (meaning you beleive it's worth the convenient of purchasing an import screen protector despite the avilability of others nearby) say why, have you ever tried taking it off? was the screen sticky and impossible to whipe after? have you used other brands that didnt work as well?

I even felt a similar dissapointment when i bought their recent case for my PSP....in this case i was very pleased with their very similar looking DS Lite designed compact pouch, but their PSP version seemed flimsy and cheaper despite it practically looking like the same case.

I've tried taking Hori screen protectors off and there have been no residue. I also recommend Hori for DS & PSP.

Luckily, my local GS was selling some official Hori screen protectors for PSP for $1.99 or $2.99 used, even though they're new.

[quote name='suko_32']I've tried taking Hori screen protectors off and there have been no residue. I also recommend Hori for DS & PSP.

Luckily, my local GS was selling some official Hori screen protectors for PSP for $1.99 or $2.99 used, even though they're new.[/QUOTE]

all i know is when i tried peeling mine off my DS the screen was sticky and difficult to whipe.

i also wasnt aware GS sold Hori, it isnt on their website.

Has anyone used product other than hori to know if it is indeed better? Since there are plenty of products one does not have to import.

still also dissapointed with the hori PSP case i bought considering it looked exactly the same as the DS Lite pouch they made but wasnt as nice (i posted about it here but unlike the DS Lite one no one had any reviews or opinions on the PSP one).

[quote name='spincut']all i know is when i tried peeling mine off my DS the screen was sticky and difficult to whipe.

i also wasnt aware GS sold Hori, it isnt on their website.

Has anyone used product other than hori to know if it is indeed better? Since there are plenty of products one does not have to import.

still also dissapointed with the hori PSP case i bought considering it looked exactly the same as the DS Lite pouch they made but wasnt as nice (i posted about it here but unlike the DS Lite one no one had any reviews or opinions on the PSP one).[/QUOTE]

It was a store specific thing for the Hori screen protectors. It was probably because it was a former Rhino's store (South Eastern). It was marked used because it wasn't in the GS system now that i think about it. Oh yeah, the cool thing about these things for PSP was people can't see your screen from an angle. I just thought it was kinda neat.

As for PSP cases, the Logitech case is excellent.

[quote name='suko_32']It was a store specific thing for the Hori screen protectors. It was probably because it was a former Rhino's store (South Eastern). It was marked used because it wasn't in the GS system now that i think about it. Oh yeah, the cool thing about these things for PSP was people can't see your screen from an angle. I just thought it was kinda neat.

As for PSP cases, the Logitech case is excellent.[/QUOTE]

well i already have the hori case now, i'm not really determined to buy another, only wish someone had known it was not as great as the DS Lite version despite looking the same.

Also, i dont really care for the screen protector developing viewing angle narrowing, you're saying that actually do that on purpose?

[quote name='spincut']well i already have the hori case now, i'm not really determined to buy another, only wish someone had known it was not as great as the DS Lite version despite looking the same.

Also, i dont really care for the screen protector developing viewing angle narrowing, you're saying that actually do that on purpose?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask, but I just thought it was a neat feature though certainly not a OMG factor.

[quote name='suko_32']I'm not sure what you're trying to ask, but I just thought it was a neat feature though certainly not a OMG factor.[/QUOTE]

i'm asking if your PSP was like that before you applied the protectors, and if not if they all do that regardless of brand? because amongst my other concerns, that is something i'd actually not want...

[quote name='spincut']i'm asking if your PSP was like that before you applied the protectors, and if not if they all do that regardless of brand? because amongst my other concerns, that is something i'd actually not want...[/QUOTE]

No on both. I don't know what screen protector is currently on my PSP, since I bought it used years ago, but it's amazing. Also, not all Hori screen protectors have that feature. I think there's another brand out there that's as good or better, but forgot what it was.

oh, so whatever screen protector you are using has that feature and is causing the narrow viewing angle, but it is assuredly not a hori?

also, because its important i would really know if the one i'm getting does that or not, but since few people seem to use more than one screen protector there isnt alot of basis for comparison it feels like.

[quote name='spincut']oh, so whatever screen protector you are using has that feature and is causing the narrow viewing angle, but it is assuredly not a hori?

also, because its important i would really know if the one i'm getting does that or not, but since few people seem to use more than one screen protector there isnt alot of basis for comparison it feels like.[/QUOTE]

No, the hori's I bought have that feature, not the one I'm using. However, I'm sure not all hori screen protectors do that. Sorry if it was hard to understand my posts.

....wait, so the one you're using isnt a hori, and doesnt have that feature, but all the hori screen protectors you bought (and are not using?) have had it?

[quote name='spincut']....wait, so the one you're using isnt a hori, and doesnt have that feature, but all the hori screen protectors you bought (and are not using?) have had it?[/QUOTE]

Yep, again I apologize for the confusion.

I bought some invisible shields when they were 50% off couple weeks ago and I must say they are awesome. I got a full body slim psp version and screen only, not sure which i'll use. I already put one on my nano and am happy with it.

[quote name='suko_32']Yep, again I apologize for the confusion.[/QUOTE]

hmm well if thats the case then i'd be wary, as i dont like that feature....so what about the one you ARE using then? what is that?

[quote name='BladeZ']I bought some invisible shields when they were 50% off couple weeks ago and I must say they are awesome. I got a full body slim psp version and screen only, not sure which i'll use. I already put one on my nano and am happy with it.[/QUOTE]

Others have mentioned those, but they also cannot be store bought (although they are not import).

Everyone seems to laud their "toughness" and shows me the key scratch video but i dont really care about that so much, just eas of use and lack of residue, which i'm not sure because you have to get both the protector and the device wet first i seems, that kind of turns me off.

[quote name='spincut']really care about that so much, just eas of use and lack of residue, which i'm not sure because you have to get both the protector and the device wet first i seems, that kind of turns me off.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when I opened it up I was like WTF? Spray the magic liquid on the sticky part of the protector? But, sure enough it works. Think of it as a magic cling that people put on car windows. After I applied it, there were some air bubbles, but it says they will disappear over night, and sure enough they did. I guess it tightens up and evens out over time.

[quote name='spincut']
Everyone seems to laud their "toughness" and shows me the key scratch video but i dont really care about that so much, just eas of use and lack of residue, which i'm not sure because you have to get both the protector and the device wet first i seems, that kind of turns me off.[/quote]

I've taken the invisible shield skin off of my PSP phat before and it leaves virtually no residue. All I did was take a barely damp cloth and wiped it a bit and it looked like the day I bought it.

[quote name='BladeZ']Yeah, when I opened it up I was like WTF? Spray the magic liquid on the sticky part of the protector? But, sure enough it works. Think of it as a magic cling that people put on car windows. After I applied it, there were some air bubbles, but it says they will disappear over night, and sure enough they did. I guess it tightens up and evens out over time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jling84']I've taken the invisible shield skin off of my PSP phat before and it leaves virtually no residue. All I did was take a barely damp cloth and wiped it a bit and it looked like the day I bought it.[/QUOTE]

But if you have to spray solution on both the PSP and the protector to get it to work wouldnt it likely leave a solution like residue after you peel it off?

also, with both this and Hori, has anyone actually used other brands to know if there's really any difference anyway? Or are people just picking theo ne brand they have used?

Here is a weird question. I bought a used PSP and it has a long (maybe 1.5 inch) scratch on it. The scratch isn't very deep though so I'm not too bothered by it. Considering I already have a partially damaged screen, do I bother protecting it further? Would a screen protector do anything to magnify the current scratch?

How does the "Screen Coverage" version of the InvisibleShield fit the PSP Slim? Does it cover the screen exactly or is it a little smaller/larger? I know that the Hori is reportedly a little smaller.

I'd avoid screen protectors in general, but if you really have to get one, then get a Hori--it's the best by far (although ultimately you shouldn't need one).

I had hori, but found it hard to get on perfectly. I not have a total body BestSkinsEver, and love it. It has a slightly tacky feel, and the application method left not a single air bubble. It actually made the tiny scratches on my screen disappear. Every screw hole etc, was cut perfectly.

[quote name='gunm']I'd avoid screen protectors in general, but if you really have to get one, then get a Hori--it's the best by far (although ultimately you shouldn't need one).[/quote]

I actually agree with this, I've had my DS since the release of the Hot Rod Red Mario Kart bundle release maybe 2 or 3 years ago? Aside from mild hinge discoloration, and a dent on the lip that connects the bottom and top halves of the bottom portion, it's in utterly perfect condition, not a scratch on any screen.

I've never used Hori though, but the Invisible Shield things are good, I got one for my iPod and it's amazingly good at keeping...anything off the screen and body.

again though for those recomending the hori, have you ever tried anything else to compare it to? One thing that bothers me is the stickyness alot of them have, as the last hori i got for my DS Lite definetly left some crap behind that was a bit hard to remove (and if not removed would attract alot mor gunk onto it).

plus now i'm hearing that even the PSP slim horis dont totally fit, plus i cant get it locally to try it.

[quote name='spincut']But if you have to spray solution on both the PSP and the protector to get it to work wouldnt it likely leave a solution like residue after you peel it off?

also, with both this and Hori, has anyone actually used other brands to know if there's really any difference anyway? Or are people just picking theo ne brand they have used?[/quote]

I have used and peeled off both Hori and invisibleShield screen/body protectors. Both leave no residue when removed. The spray solution of the invisibleShield is basically water and does not damage your device. I prefer invisibleShield over Hori because it allows for a more precise fit and if you do mess up on the placement, you can easily remove the protector and try again without getting too much dust/gunk on the sticky side (due to magic solution). On the other hand, if you redo your placement with a Hori protector, you can tell that you messed up. Another plus for the invisibleShieldis their lifetime guarantee: if the protector ever peels over time you can get a new one!

[quote name='JediBaja']I have used and peeled off both Hori and invisibleShield screen/body protectors. Both leave no residue when removed. The spray solution of the invisibleShield is basically water and does not damage your device. I prefer invisibleShield over Hori because it allows for a more precise fit and if you do mess up on the placement, you can easily remove the protector and try again without getting too much dust/gunk on the sticky side (due to magic solution). On the other hand, if you redo your placement with a Hori protector, you can tell that you messed up. Another plus for the invisibleShieldis their lifetime guarantee: if the protector ever peels over time you can get a new one![/QUOTE]

so if it's just water, and it has no sticky residue, how does it stay on? (and i still have a hard time imagining the idea of spraying water on the screen and then sticking it on and not having moisture trappings and the like).

While not an import item, it's more expensive, and also cannot be gotten in stores.

[quote name='ZForce915']Here is a weird question. I bought a used PSP and it has a long (maybe 1.5 inch) scratch on it. The scratch isn't very deep though so I'm not too bothered by it. Considering I already have a partially damaged screen, do I bother protecting it further? Would a screen protector do anything to magnify the current scratch?[/QUOTE]

I would recommend getting a Hori screen protector for it ASAP before you put anymore scratches on it. I bought a PSP slim about two and a half weeks ago, and I already scratched the screen a bit. But after I put on a Hori protector earlier, I can't see the scratches at all, and the screen is still crystal clear. Do it! Oh, and for those asking about where to get a Hori protector.... eBay! I got mine for 4 bucks shipped, and there are tons more. The instructions are in the Japanese, but it really isn't that hard to figure out.

The Hori does not fit the PSP Slim very well. The Invisible Shield is a nightmare to install, and the image quality isn't that great; I'd only recommend it for something that you'll be carrying in your pockets (e.g., ipod, cell). I think a good carrying case is the way to go for the PSP.

[quote name='deekayex']The Hori does not fit the PSP Slim very well. The Invisible Shield is a nightmare to install, and the image quality isn't that great; I'd only recommend it for something that you'll be carrying in your pockets (e.g., ipod, cell). I think a good carrying case is the way to go for the PSP.[/QUOTE]

i already have a case, it's not as great as i thought but it's not enough, since the unit doesnt close shut to protect itself and the screen is big i think i might feel less paranoid using it if i knew the screen was protected, i just want something very unobtrusive to install that doesnt leave stickyness or residue behind, and is a little more easily obtainable unless something goes wrong.

[quote name='deekayex']The Hori does not fit the PSP Slim very well. The Invisible Shield is a nightmare to install, and the image quality isn't that great. . . .[/quote]

No disrespect, but what are you talking about? I've used both products and what you're saying doesn't seem to make sense. If you said the Hori's "image quality" wasn't great, then I might understand you, since its no-one-but-you visibility gimmick sometimes translates to no-one-at-all. But the fit seems fine to me.

If you install the IS correctly, its "image quality" is transparent. If you're referring to bubbles or dirt, then you need to be more careful. Use the cloth carefully and work on a very clean table. A bed's the wrong place to apply protective film.

By "image quality," you mean screen visibility, correct? If so, use another term -- hori filters aren't TV sets. It's the PSP's screen itself, not the filter, that has image quality.

But all this is moot, since the spincut isn't interested in either product.

Spincut: I don't know what to tell you, since Hori and IS have been the best solutions I've found so far. If you change your mind, Hori also makes a PSP screen protector that doesn't use the privacy gimmick. For me personally, the Noritech Crystal Case with a full-body Invisible Shield comprise the best protection I've been able to find so far. If you find something you prefer, be sure to post about it here.

It's not so much about "protection" mind you, any screen protector out there probably provides serviceable protection, my only issue is ease of application and residue and whatnot.

And yes, i would definetly not want the hori privacy filter, but because the product has limited availability plus foreign packaging even that is difficcult to discern (although strangely some sites sell it with english packaging).

and yes it apparently does not fit perfectly, and that is something of a bother.

all i want is a plastic cover that wont cause me to mangle the screen with sticky residue and application solution to get it on thats all.

I just notice, from the exact opening of my PSP that there was a slight scuff on it that i couldnt rub off, and it made me very self concious about the thing, and the case i bought isnt as fabulous as i though and i just dont want to be dantily tucking it around whenever it's out of the case, but i also dont want any noticeable blemishes on that great screen (some of which may form by the screens very magnetic attraction to dust and residue, and all that whiping eventually may wear it too).

I tried an Intec screen protector; didn't like it at all because of the moire it caused. My next protector was a Hori. No moire and the fit on the fat psp was great. Unfortunately that psp was stolen, so I replaced it with a psp slim. Bought another Hori and found that either the display window on the slim is slightly bigger or the Hori protector I bought was slightly smaller, leaving a small gap all around the edges. Not the end of the world; just something I noticed.

I also bought the Invisible Shield kit, primarily for protecting the psp housing as opposed ot the display. The one thing about the Invisible Shield material is the surface has a slight orange peel look to it. While this is fine for the housing portions of the psp, I like the absolute smooth surface of the Hori.

Thanks, psrich -- moire was exactly the word I wanted. In my experience, the privacy-ready Hori has that issue.

And your description of the "doesn't fit" issue is the best so far -- the fit isn't perfect, but neither is it a problem for most users.

Finesse the residue issue and "I think we're done here." I own two DS Lites with Hori protectors and I still haven't seen any residue.

Spincut: For a long time, eBay sellers have offered sticky and non-sticky protectors for iPod and Treo screens. I once asked a seller to send both kinds for me to try; I preferred the clinging non-adhesive version for the very reason you don't like Horis. With the iPod and Treo, I had no trouble removing the non-sticky filter or keeping it on. I haven't tried non-adhesive protectors with my PSP, so I can't speak to that from experience.

It sounds as if you're looking for a filter that doesn't use adhesive of any kind, which might be the source of our communication problem. Many of us seem to be saying that Hori filters leave no residue, but everyone would agree they use adhesive.

regarding invisible shield, the stuff is tough, its a 3m polymer that was originally developed to protect the edges of helicopter blades. The spray does indeed leave no residue as I have used it before on cellphones. the thing that I hate about them though is the tendancy to accumulate gunk on the edges of the material.

I have a javoedge screen protector that I'm very satisified with, it peeled off part of it by accident and there was no residue. my only problem is that since it covers the whole face of the psp i had trouble getting it to line up straight and have no dust under the screen. I settled for no dust but crooked because I suck at applying these goddamn things.

[quote name='fidgeteer']Thanks, psrich -- moire was exactly the word I wanted. In my experience, the privacy-ready Hori has that issue.

And your description of the "doesn't fit" issue is the best so far -- the fit isn't perfect, but neither is it a problem for most users.

Finesse the residue issue and "I think we're done here." I own two DS Lites with Hori protectors and I still haven't seen any residue.

Spincut: For a long time, eBay sellers have offered sticky and non-sticky protectors for iPod and Treo screens. I once asked a seller to send both kinds for me to try; I preferred the clinging non-adhesive version for the very reason you don't like Horis. With the iPod and Treo, I had no trouble removing the non-sticky filter or keeping it on. I haven't tried non-adhesive protectors with my PSP, so I can't speak to that from experience.

It sounds as if you're looking for a filter that doesn't use adhesive of any kind, which might be the source of our communication problem. Many of us seem to be saying that Hori filters leave no residue, but everyone would agree they use adhesive.[/QUOTE]

well ok then, but then it seems like non adhesive PSP screens maybe dont exist???

and i think i'm understanding what people mean about the horis not leaving "residue" but here's the problem, because they are adhesive, while they may not leave residue, at least in the one experience i had on the DS, they do leave a stickyness behind, which of course then attract dust which when you try and clean hits the stickyness like a car hitting those backwards tire spikes, and that of course makes me sort of nervouse.

p.s. i'm having trouble understanding how the solution for the IS doesnt leave "residue", i mean if i spit on the psp screen that would dry and leave residue, i guess i just imagine moisture solution used to stick something on not perfectly evaporating and not leaving moisture residue when it dries.

also, whats this about "orange peel"????

[quote name='spincut']

p.s. i'm having trouble understanding how the solution for the IS doesnt leave "residue", i mean if i spit on the psp screen that would dry and leave residue, i guess i just imagine moisture solution used to stick something on not perfectly evaporating and not leaving moisture residue when it dries.

also, whats this about "orange peel"????[/QUOTE]

I don't know how it works but i've peeled off the invisible shield on several devices and never had an issue with residue

I just replaced my Hori (non privacy) protector with an invisible shield one. The Hori didn't fit the screen well (left a millimeter or so on two edges cuz I laid it down right on the two opposite edges). When the psp was on, the light from the screen would kind of get diffused and you could see exactly where the screen protector ended near the uncovered edges.

With the invisible shield, I think I messed up while applying it, so it looks nowhere as clean an application as the invisible shield i have on my phone, but when the psp is on you don't notice anything at all. The IS doesn't cover the entire screen as I'd hoped, but it's very close (very small gap. Much less than the Hori). The beauty of the IS though is that you don't notice it at all when it's on.

bread's done
Back