Best Rock Vocalist of All-Time?

[quote name='KaneRobot']
Props to Xevious for mentioning King Diamond, the Outer Space Satanic Twilight Zone version of Freddie Mercury.[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha
kingdiamond3kg.gif
[/IMG]

Ifwe go with vocalist as in pure vocal skills I'd have to go with somebody like Nick Cave (The Birthday Party, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds) or David Gahan (Depeche Mode) Now if we are talking best front man, Mic Jagger (as much as I hate the Rolling Stones) in his day was a sight to see. Michael Hutchence from INXS was also great.

[quote name='Whambamm']Someone else knows of the greatness that was Jeff Buckley.

While I do have to give Freddie Mercury the vote for best frontman of all time, Jeff Buckley has by far the greatest voice of anyone posted in this thread. Grace is the greatest album of all time.

You automatically kick ass in my book Tybee for being a fellow fan of Jeff Buckley.[/QUOTE]
Ah HA! There are now TWO music fans who know their asses from holes in the ground contributing to this thread! ;)
Seriously, Buckley was goddamned unstoppable vocally, and honorary props go to Rufus Wainwright...though he may or may not be considered a 'rock' vocalist.

Two observations related to this thread:
1. SneakyPenguin is not what he once was. I remember him as being pretty cool back in the early CAG days, but lately he seems....kinda like an ass.
2. Steven Tyler still is the most overrated, obnoxious, worthless sack of monkey shit ever to attempt to swallow a mic.

Not just overrated: one of the worse ever. :lol:[quote name='peteloaf']Now if we are talking best front man, Mic Jagger (as much as I hate the Rolling Stones) in his day was a sight to see.[/QUOTE] No. Just ... no. And there are so many imitators now, too ... it's fucking awful, what he did to rock with that shit. :cry:

Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom is pretty bad ass as far as the screaming thing goes.

Uh.. Tarja Turunen from Nightwish fame has an amazing voice even if you don't like her singing style.

I'll probably get flamed for this one if not the other two, but Meatloaf was a pretty bad ass singer IMO :)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Not just overrated: one of the worse ever. :lol: No. Just ... no. And there are so many imitators now, too ... it's fucking awful, what he did to rock with that shit. :cry:[/quote]

Dude, Meatloaf ain't shit compared to what Dennis DeYoung did with Styx. fucker had to have everything a showtune type shit. Ever wonder why Tommy Shaw amd company fuckin hate that prick? Now you have your answer

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Dude, Meatloaf ain't shit compared to what Dennis DeYoung did with Styx. fucker had to have everything a showtune type shit. Ever wonder why Tommy Shaw amd company fuckin hate that prick? Now you have your answer[/QUOTE]
I may just be confused here.. but what do the rolling stones have to do with meatloaf >.>

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No one mentiones Axl Rose? He used to have an amazing voice but he has absolutely destroyed it now from years of cigarette smoking.[/QUOTE]
Yep, Axl Rose was the shit back in the day.

Another vote for Freddie Mercury.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom is pretty bad ass as far as the screaming thing goes.

Uh.. Tarja Turunen from Nightwish fame has an amazing voice even if you don't like her singing style.

I'll probably get flamed for this one if not the other two, but Meatloaf was a pretty bad ass singer IMO :)[/quote]

Dude, I'm listening to CoB as I type this! And Tara was fuckin killer. I'm still pissed that the other members kicked her out. As least the members of Lacuna Coil plan to kick out Christinia Scabia anytime soon. And anyone that says that Amy Lee of Evanescence is a great singer needs a fuckin hard kick in the balls. Not only is she a bitch, but her range is horrible. It sounds like shes takin a shit when she tries to hit high notes.

fuck Christinia Scabia said she wouldn't have any problems doing a track or two with Amy Lee. Amy Lee has pretty much told her to go fuck her self. I guess the bitch doesn't want to be out done with her no talent ass...

[quote name='organicow']Ah HA! There are now TWO music fans who know their asses from holes in the ground contributing to this thread! ;)
Seriously, Buckley was goddamned unstoppable vocally, and honorary props go to Rufus Wainwright...though he may or may not be considered a 'rock' vocalist.

Two observations related to this thread:
1. SneakyPenguin is not what he once was. I remember him as being pretty cool back in the early CAG days, but lately he seems....kinda like an ass.
2. Steven Tyler still is the most overrated, obnoxious, worthless sack of monkey shit ever to attempt to swallow a mic.[/QUOTE]

You're just mad because you were fappin' to a pic of Liv and realized who she really looked like. C'mon, it's so obvious.

:D

[quote name='crystalklear64']I may just be confused here.. but what do the rolling stones have to do with meatloaf >.>[/quote]
How in the hell did you come up with the Stones in that equation!?!

[quote name='organicow']1. SneakyPenguin is not what he once was. I remember him as being pretty cool back in the early CAG days, but lately he seems....kinda like an ass.[/QUOTE] No, man, he was always an ass. It's part of his charm. :lol:[quote name='projecteightysix']Scott Stapp>everyone mentioned in this thread.[/QUOTE]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That was a joke, right? Please tell me that was a joke ...

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']How in the hell did you come up with the Stones in that equation!?![/QUOTE]
I dunno.. looked like sblymnal was saying he hated the stones and/or steven tyler. Either way I don't get the Meatloaf connection :(

[quote name='crystalklear64']I dunno.. looked like sblymnal was saying he hated the stones and/or steven tyler. Either way I don't get the Meatloaf connection :([/QUOTE] He probably didn't mean to quote me. Or did, and then forgot why and just responded to the post directly above his. The point is, he's been drinking, so you can't really blame him. :lol:

[quote name='crystalklear64']I dunno.. looked like sblymnal was saying he hated the stones and/or steven tyler. Either way I don't get the Meatloaf connection :([/quote]
All ready know he thinks Aerosmith are no talent hacks from the OTT.

Now if anyone says that the Beatles are shit, I don't care if I think you're cool, or are one of my best friends in real life, you will, at the very least get one of the worst verbal beat downs...

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']He probably didn't mean to quote me. Or did, and then forgot why and just responded to the post directly above his. The point is, he's been drinking, so you can't really blame him. :lol:[/quote]

Dude, for thinking that Aerosmith and Motley Crue are over rated hacks, there is no forgiveness! And just because I have been drinking doesn't mean shit lol

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']All ready know he thinks Aerosmith are no talent hacks from the OTT.

Now if anyone says that the Beatles are shit, I don't care if I think you're cool, or are one of my best friends in real life, you will, at the very least get one of the worst verbal beat downs...[/QUOTE] The Beatles were great. Maybe that's why the Rolling Stones always seemed to suck so hard. :lol:

Thought, Paul's solo stuff was ... lacking. I never liked Paul, anyway.

[quote name='organicow']Two observations related to this thread:
2. Steven Tyler still is the most overrated, obnoxious, worthless sack of monkey shit ever to attempt to swallow a mic.[/quote]

I'll have you know that I've always been an ass.

Now, if this was about favorites, and not best (which it seems everyone is doing), it'd have to be either Jello Biafra, Mike Patton, or Dave Trenga.

Best frontman would go to Jimmy Urine or Jack Terricloth.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']The Beatles were great. Maybe that's why the Rolling Stones always seemed to suck so hard. :lol:

Thought, Paul's solo stuff was ... lacking. I never liked Paul, anyway.[/quote]

I will totally agree with you on that! It seems there are two types of people in this world: ones that love the Beatles or you love the Stones. No inbetween, it seems. The Beatles were the band that got my into music at like 8 years old.

In terms of Pauls solo stuff, I think he kinda wanted to break away from the whole Beatles mystique. Ultimatly, John did the best in terms of solo material.

fuck I will admit if there were only one thing I could change the course of history it would be that I could strange Mark David Chapman in his sleep in his fuckin crib as an infant...

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']
Now if anyone says that the Beatles are shit, I don't care if I think you're cool, or are one of my best friends in real life, you will, at the very least get one of the worst verbal beat downs...[/QUOTE]

Thank god.

Everytime I hear some bullshit leveled at the Beatles, I want to strangle the motherfucker.

As for this thread, it follows every other goddamn music opinion thread in the world, which is "watch me post my favorite bands no matter what the question is."

We could ask for the best yodeling group in the world, and some fucker would come in and say OMFGs, AUDIOSLAVE FTW

[quote name='Strell']Thank god.

Everytime I hear some bullshit leveled at the Beatles, I want to strangle the motherfucker.

As for this thread, it follows every other goddamn music opinion thread in the world, which is "watch me post my favorite bands no matter what the question is."

We could ask for the best yodeling group in the world, and some fucker would come in and say OMFGs, AUDIOSLAVE FTW[/quote]

Dude, I consider you brethen for that Beatles comment!!

! Even fucking rappers consider The Beatles a major influence. And yes Audioslave fuckin sucks donkey balls! Give me Rage Against the Machine and Soundgarden...not that steaming pile of shit called Audioslave

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Rush >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Beatles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Audioshit.[/quote]

Dude, The Beatles are da shiznit. If you have the time and the money, get the Anthology DVD boxset (one of the best 50-60 bucks I've ever spent). You'll learn so much shit you're head will explode

I'm not saying the Beatles are bad, I used to love them. But I grew out of that phase, and while I still acknowledge their talent and what the did for music, I'm not a fan at all anymore.

Could be worse, could be like my girlfriend, who outright despises them.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']
Could be worse, could be like my girlfriend, who outright despises them.[/QUOTE]

Women don't know the first thing about good music.

Also, Human is now my brethren. We both get points.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']
Could be worse, could be like my girlfriend, who outright despises them.[/quote]

Even if I were straight, I'd dump a bitch quicker than a truck at a trash heap if she hated the Beatles. The one thing that I love about being with my partner is that I've gained a much bigger respect and love for groups that I would have never heard about other wise.

Shit I still envy the fuck out of him for when he say the ramones like 3 times in their heyday, and at least once each for Zeplin and Queen

[quote name='Strell']Women don't know the first thing about good music.

Also, Human is now my brethren. We both get points.[/quote]

Anyone that thinks The Beatles are the best band ever get mad points in my book, brotha! lol

She loves Rush, and just about all the obscure shit I listen to, so, win. fuck, any girl that loves Pig Destroyer and Genghis Tron is win on my book.

Has anyone said Ian Andersen?

Seriously, lots of people hate Jethro Tull because of Metallica [though I personally believe that in any case, any type of song, even a sick, got no sleep, two band members missing Jethro Tull, could rip apart even a fully aware on top of their game Metallica]

But Ian Andersen has some wonderful vocals, his voice just gets into me.

My list

Robert Plant
I an Andersen
Roger Waters
Yaida Hitomi

[quote name='sarausagi']Has anyone said Ian Andersen?

Seriously, lots of people hate Jethro Tull because of Metallica [though I personally believe that in any case, any type of song, even a sick, got no sleep, two band members missing Jethro Tull, could rip apart even a fully aware on top of their game Metallica]

But Ian Andersen has some wonderful vocals, his voice just gets into me.

My list

Robert Plant
I an Andersen
Roger Waters
Yaida Hitomi[/quote]

I never would have thought of him, honestly. I used to think that it was a shame that Metallica lost to Jethro Tull at the Gramy's, but now I'm glad. In my opinion, Metallica should have broken up after Master of Puppets. And I swear, everytime I hear a redneck call in and request and proclaim that Metallica is the best band ever to my local radio station, I want to get their address and boil them in a vat of acid....

Ok...I am going to throw in a Monkey wrench:

Diamanda Galás

She is the most frightening voice I have ever heard in my life. She makes my skin crawl. Still, I do admit that she is an incredible talent.

would it be foolish to suggest geoff tate?

Stephen Pearcy gets my joke vote. lol

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Freddie Mercury

Other favorites:
Bon Scott/Brian Johnson
Axl Rose
Anthony Kiedis

HumanSnatcher seems a little angry, with his threats of killing everyone that doesn't share his opinion.

Interesting link of the subject.[/quote]

I feel that way because there are a ton of better bands that do metal (if you can call them that now) than them. I don't mind if you like Metallica, thats fine and dandy, but if you think that they are the be all end all of metal, you really need to be beaten...

[quote name='jer7583']would it be foolish to suggest geoff tate?

Stephen Pearcy gets my joke vote. lol[/quote]

Tate is pretty good (his range doesn't hold a candle compared to Michael Sweet and King Diamond). But once he opens his mouth about poor album sales (ala Mindcrime 2) because of MP3s, hes a whiney idiot. After listening to the first 2 songs off Mindcrime 2, I hated. Its shit compared to Mindcrime 1

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I feel that way because there are a ton of better bands that do metal (if you can call them that now) than them. I don't mind if you like Metallica, thats fine and dandy, but if you think that they are the be all end all of metal, you really need to be beaten...[/quote]
I'm not really referencing that specifically, just that you seem quite angry in this thread and are ready to make sure anyone that doesn't agree with you either never comes near you or lives to go against your opinions ever again. :lol:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm not really referencing that specifically, just that you seem quite angry in this thread and are ready to make sure anyone that doesn't agree with you either never comes near you or lives to go against your opinions ever again. :lol:[/quote]

I guess I'm just highly opiniated(sp?) thats all lol. For example, just because my partner prefers The Stones over The Beatles doesn't mean I'm gonna beat him over it. The thing is that he loves The Beatles just as much as The Stones.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Tate is pretty good (his range doesn't hold a candle compared to Michael Sweet and King Diamond). But once he opens his mouth about poor album sales (ala Mindcrime 2) because of MP3s, hes a whiney idiot. After listening to the first 2 songs off Mindcrime 2, I hated. Its shit compared to Mindcrime 1[/QUOTE]

yeah new queensryche in general is pretty bad.

I wish dream theater had a better vocalist. My favorite band of all time, but LaBrie gets on even my nerves sometimes live.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']Jorn Lande
Russell Allen
Joe Lynn Turner
Ronnie James Dio
Tony Harnell
Goran Edman
David DeFeis
Bruce Dickinson
the unnamed girl from Luca Turilli's Dreamquest
Doogie White (hear him live...amazing)
Eric Adams
Jeff Scott Soto
Tony Martin
Anne Wilson (Heart)[/quote]

Finally- Ronnie James Dio. I think he should have joined Van Halen after Dave left instead of Sammy. Dio is just f*cking awesome. Oh yeah, don't forget Ian Astbury from The Cult also.

TOTALLY AGREE with Jeff Buckley!!!! Before all the fags, and emo punks got into him, I was totally alone with Grace,.... now after years of mockery from my friends and family... he's accepted :( RIP B

Maynard of Tool, is my personal fav,... but the lyrics also tie into my obsession, considering he most certainly is one of the few people who understands our existence, yet is forced behind the curtain by the dullards who "like the guitars" :(

Anderson from YES
Tull from Jethro
Lynn from ELO
Lennox from Eurythmics
that chick from Heart
that chick from Pretenders
that dude from Sunny Day Realestate
Stevie Nicks, that slut!
Cornell's alright, nothing revolutionary though :(
Vedder's old shit was tight, but he's dried up now :(
that dude from Mew has a good voice, but borders on rock and ice cream
Fogherty was a simple man, but he sure hits home with his backwater analogies, and melodic yelps
Nelson.... and I mean Willie... that old fart could lay it down!
Wonder? ... me neither... cause Stevie was the SHIT!!!!
that guy from Counting Crows used to soothe me
that dude from Live... had some great moments way back when
the guy from Toad the Wet Sprocket was, well, wet hot
Rose from Guns could totally carry your soul away, specially if you were drunk!
Mercury of Queen of course :)
the guys of Tears for Fears surely moved my spirit when I was a boy
the guy from the Cure has a wonderful voice, although far from rocking
finally, the chain smoking guy from Crash Test Dummies... best bellows EVAR!!

I apologize for missing a bunch, but this is "internet", and enough flames will cause a fire!!!! in my pants!! So lick my wounds :)

[quote name='gdw3877']Finally- Ronnie James Dio. I think he should have joined Van Halen after Dave left instead of Sammy. Dio is just f*cking awesome.[/QUOTE]

that could be the worst idea ever. Look at what he did to black sabbath. It just became dio, with different musicians. Dio?? and Van Halen?? WTF? Not the best of both worlds, that's for damn sure.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Freddie Mercury

No one else comes close.[/QUOTE]

QFT. The ultimate rock front man.

bread's done
Back