Best routers?

Sgt Barone

CAGiversary!
I currently have a D-Link router, and it's ok, but it affects my web browsing greatly, pretty much by decreasing my internet connection. Anyone know of any routers that don't have weird issues and will preserve my web browsing experience?

im not sure why a router would effect your web browsing....so when you directly connect your modem to your computer you can browse the web perfectly fine and you never have an issue. Its only when you have your router hooked up?

I am biased towards cisco products since i worked on them for 3-4years but for consumer products netgear, cisco/linksys, dlink all should work just fine. I know the modding community loves the WRT54G to run other firmwares.
I have a wrt54gv1 at my parents place and it works great for them. they have 2 computers, 1 wired connection and another macbook on wireless g.

i have a wired connection. my router, for some reason, makes my connection a little less stable and will randomly disconnect after viewing several pages. when i have a direct connection (w/o a router), my connection is amazing.

Use to have one of the blue brick Linksys routers but it got fried by a power surge or something like that. I did have to reset the router a lot with that one though. Switched to Netgear and I actually like that one much better.

I work in networking for a living and long story short, your router shouldn't be causing any kind of noticeable slow down. This could also be caused by your ISP not getting the signal to your modem at the strength it should be arriving.

It wouldn't hurt to call your ISP and have them run some tests to make sure that its the router causing the slow down. They probably won't be able to troubleshoot your router at all, but at least you will know for sure where the problem lies.

in the meantime you could always set up what's called DMZ on your router and static in an IP address on the device in question.

If that last part sounds foreign, just PM me

[quote name='poppascotch']I work in networking for a living and long story short, your router shouldn't be causing any kind of noticeable slow down. This could also be caused by your ISP not getting the signal to your modem at the strength it should be arriving.

It wouldn't hurt to call your ISP and have them run some tests to make sure that its the router causing the slow down. They probably won't be able to troubleshoot your router at all, but at least you will know for sure where the problem lies.

in the meantime you could always set up what's called DMZ on your router and static in an IP address on the device in question.

If that last part sounds foreign, just PM me[/QUOTE]

The customer could also test his internet speed through broadbandreports.com or, possibly, his ISP's internal speed test page with and without the router before calling his ISP.

It does hurt to call the ISP. We're there to schedule people when the MODEM is offline or dropping a connection. If the problem occurs if and only if the router is in the equation, don't call us. You already know it isn't our fault.

[quote name='poppascotch']I work in networking for a living and long story short, your router shouldn't be causing any kind of noticeable slow down. This could also be caused by your ISP not getting the signal to your modem at the strength it should be arriving.

If that last part sounds foreign, just PM me[/QUOTE]

That's not quite true. Processing power of your router can greatly affect your speeds, but not really for plain web browsing. Crappy routers will often have problems with lots of simultaneous connections, such as BitTorrent uses and can often slow your download speeds or even lock up.

With all that said, I love my Asus WL-520GU router with Tomato installed.

Have you tried to see if your router has a new firmware update? It might have a work around or a improvement that might solve your problem.

Have you tried to do a hard reset? Should have a button in a hole you have to press in with a pen tip to complete knock the router back to factory settings. Might help.

Far as router brands I like SMC and Linksys myself. I never had a problem with either one really and SMC has damn good customer service.

IF you get a new one though and get a wireless, make sure it has more than one jack in the back. Alot of wireless ones now dont come with extra connectors and your stuck if you want a hardwired connection to to go with your wireless. Me personally though I never use anything but wired.

[quote name='Malik112099']Wrt54g[/QUOTE]

I second this, I use a WRT54GS myself, loaded with Tomato, and have had no problems relating to reliability or speed. There are at least 6 connections on it at once in my home and nothing ever disconnects or slows down.

bread's done
Back