Best Series to come out this Gen?

HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm going to say the Bioshock series. I just beat Bioshock 2 and holy jeebus was it good. The 2 games were extremely satisfying.

I'd say Mirror's Edge, but where the fuck is the sequel?

What series do you think, that come out this generation, was best?

Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Borderlands (if there is a sequel, though all the DLC is pretty much a new full game)

Overall, I wasn't a big fan of BioShock. I played and beat both of them, but I never quite 'got' why everyone loved them so much. They aren't bad, but aside from visuals, I wasn't all that blown away.

No question about it: Uncharted.

BioShock was a fantastic game but BioShock 2 will forever live in the shadows of its predecessor- even though it's a great game. Uncharted was a fantastic game, and Uncharted 2 blew it away in every way possible. Mass Effect is a great series too but I hated how the gameplay was dumbed down for the second game... neither game really hit the level of excellence for me (too many technical issues in the first game and gameplay became too simple in the second game).

What exactly counts as a series? I'm seeing Dragon Age and Valkyria Chronicles popping up here but neither of these to my mind qualify as a series (sure VC is getting a PSP game, but...)

I would probably say Assassin's Creed, it may not be the best series, but I think it's the best series that represents THIS generation. As much as I like games like Gears, you can still tie them back into a previous gen game, like Kill.Switch, same with Halo, Mass Effect, etc. AC feels like a game created specifically for this gen, instead of a game that simply improves on last gen's model. It has it's own unique controls and designs that we didn't have last gen (perhaps the fighting engine is an exception since it is quite similiar to the POP games), which I think is quite impressive.

Yeah if the first sequel hasn't even been released I don't think that counts.

I'm going to say Uncharted because the 2nd one was nothing but pure fun.

[quote name='eastshore4']What exactly counts as a series? I'm seeing Dragon Age and Valkyria Chronicles popping up here but neither of these to my mind qualify as a series (sure VC is getting a PSP game, but...)
[/QUOTE]

A video game series is a sequence of video games that are part of the same franchise.

Therefore, Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles 2 count.

Borderlands is my favorite game so far of this gen. Here's hoping Borderworlds (or whatever it ends up being called) is as good or better than the first.

But as for games that are already a series/franchise, definitely Mass Effect.

[quote name='eastshore4']What exactly counts as a series? I'm seeing Dragon Age and Valkyria Chronicles popping up here but neither of these to my mind qualify as a series (sure VC is getting a PSP game, but...)

[/QUOTE]

I counted Dragon Age because, for me, Awakenings, though technically an 'expansion', was longer than most stand-alone games.

Plus, if that flyer in Awakenings was what I thought, DA2 should be out in February.

I admit, I'm playing a bit fast and loose with it, but Dragon Age was a strong enough game that I'd be amazingly surprised if the sequel disappoints.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']A video game series is a sequence of video games that are part of the same franchise.

Therefore, Valkyria Chronicles and Valkyria Chronicles 2 count.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so if the Valkyria Chonicles SERIES is so great, can you explain to me what makes VC2 so good? VC qualifies as "series", but I don't see how you intend to claim it to be the "best" series of this gen if you've only played half of it.

Mass Effect
Gears of War

Easily two of my all time favorite series, period. Gears 1 and ME1 were two games that got me back into gaming when I was really not playing much at all anymore.

Bioshock as well--but I just started the 2nd so can't say how it stacks up. But the first was the third game that kind of "saved" gaming for me--at least for one more generation anyway!

Uncharted would be at the top of the list, although I'd say Gears of War is a close runner up. Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favorite games on the PS3, but since most of us didn't import the sequel and it has yet to be released in NA, I don't think it can quite count as the best series this gen.

[quote name='eastshore4']Okay, so if the Valkyria Chonicles SERIES is so great, can you explain to me what makes VC2 so good? VC qualifies as "series", but I don't see how you intend to claim it to be the "best" series of this gen if you've only played half of it.[/QUOTE]
URL]

URL]

[quote name='eastshore4']Okay, so if the Valkyria Chonicles SERIES is so great, can you explain to me what makes VC2 so good? VC qualifies as "series", but I don't see how you intend to claim it to be the "best" series of this gen if you've only played half of it.[/QUOTE]
50kw21.jpg

28bya81.jpg

Also, protip: Even if a sequel sucks it doesn't mean the first one becomes worse.

I'm going with Mass Effect. First game in quite some time that I've wanted to fully immerse myself into learning more about than just playing the game.

Mass Effect; easily.

While the first Bioshock literally dropped my jaw the second seems to have left many unimpressed; In all fairness- I haven't played Bioshock 2 (it's sitting in the backlog), but people whose opinions I value have consistently said it detracts (in varying degrees from slightly to significantly) from the original.

I really like the Uncharted series (with 2 being significantly better than 1 IMHO), but subjectively, it hasn't been genre defining.

Gears of War, like Uncharted, has been both very well executed (thus far) and both are beautiful but are considerably derivative in both game-play and narrative (with Uncharted being slightly the more derivative).

All that being said:
I would most like to see at least one more Red Dead title this console generation. Despite not having finished the last third, I have easily put 25+ hours into this game slowly and methodically playing through each mission, the strangers, side missions, horse-breaking, pop-events, hunting, dueling . . .etc. and have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect and challenge of the game. When even a "fetch and return" mission is fun, something impressive has been accomplished.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']
Also, protip: Even if a sequel sucks it doesn't mean the first one becomes worse.[/QUOTE]
. . . but it does in the context of the overall quality of the series.

^
Mass Effect for sure, I don't read that much and I bought the novels, graphic novels, and comics for it. I got the artbook too.

I'm going to have to say Valkyria Chronicles. The first one is my favorite game of this generation and while the second one hasn't hit the US market, it has expanded on the class system, allows for greater customization and looks really great for a PSP game

Rock Band, Uncharted, Infamous, and Portal. I would also count Team Fortress 2 since it had a major art style change compared to Team Fortress Classic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass Effect. Just finished the first one two nights ago and even though it was past midnight I still wanted to start another file its that good. I can't wait to play the second one and the fact that my choices will carry over 3 games is awesome.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
. . . but it does in the context of the overall quality of the series.[/QUOTE]

Okay, fine. You judge a series by its weakest link, and I judge a series by its strongest link. Valk is the best new IP I played this generation, so even if its sequel is shit (unlikely), that won't change my opinion of the first. It's still my judgment in the end, so stop bitching about it.

Overall, I have to say Bioshock. The first one was my favorite game this gen. The second one, while not quite as good as the first, was still better than 95% of games to come out this gen. I think the only reason the sequel didn't get more praise is because the expectations it had to live up to were impossibly high.

For best multiplayer, I'd have to go with Left 4 Dead and for best handheld I'll go with Ace Attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkSageRK']Okay, fine. You judge a series by its weakest link, and I judge a series by its strongest link. Valk is the best new IP I played this generation, so even if its sequel is shit (unlikely), that won't change my opinion of the first. It's still my judgment in the end, so stop bitching about it.[/QUOTE]

Bitching? This thread is specifically about "best series" is it not? Your opinion is ill-applied and irrelevant in that regard.

Well, if imports aren't considered then I'd say the Ace Attorney series (if they are then the first 3 games were GBA games in Japan before being ported to DS, but America only ever got the DS ports). I really like the story telling and characters in the Ace Attorney games, and I'm glad to see a company bringing back something similar to classic adventure games.

Then there is Valkyria Chronicles which I liked a lot but the sequel isn't out here yet, but I assume will probably be fun.

And I guess beyond that I would probably say Uncharted as I really enjoyed those games.

Uncharted: Both games are simply amazing. It's been said many times before, but Uncharted is like playing a summer action movie. The story might not be mindblowing, but the characters' and their personalities really push the game forward. Plus the fact that the puzzle platforming is fun, and the gunplay is fast and flawless.

Assassin's Creed: Like one else said, AC was a game born for the next gen. The first time you climb a view point and scan the city, you see all the graphical detail that past gen consoles could only dream about. Plus, it used a new and unique controller scheme, instead of just using something tried and true.

No More Heroes: The game doesn't scream next gen. Hell, the game features little tributes to the old days of the 8 bit era. Interestingly enough, both versions seem to go in a different direction. The strength in the first game was the characters and their personalities. Plus, the music was awesome, and those t-shirts you found were pretty cool. Meanwhile, the second game's strength was gameplay, whether it was the improved fighting engine or the new 8bit styled minigames.

Bioshock: I don't like first person shooters. I LOVE Bioshock. Maybe the same reason I like Bioshock is the reason that hardcore FPS fans think it's just good. The game isn't about shooting hordes and hordes of baddies, and having their blood splatter the screen. It's about the environment. The storyline. Frankly, that drew me in. I wanted to explore Rapture and learn about it. The original game let me do just that. The sequel seems to be trying to grab both audiences though. It's a little harder, you can dual wield now, there's multiplayer. They tried to make it more of a FPS player's game. At the same time, they tries to bring back the exploration of the first game. It works just fine, but it's one of those things thats just... it's losing more fans than it's gaining.

Trauma Center: I ain't gonna front, I LOVE Trauma Center. I don't know if it counts because technically it started on the DS but... It's all about the Wii versions. When i first got my Wii, I was pretty disappointed. Wii Sports was too simple. Zelda kinda sucked, and was just a Gamecube game with motion tacked on. Metal Slug was well... Metal Slug. Trauma Center was the only thing on the Wii early on that said "Hey, this motion thing can actually work if they use it right!"

By the end of the year, I'll induct Dead Rising and Valkyria Chronicles into the committee. Unlike RK, I'm not willing to just hand over best series titles to these guys until their sequels (or redemptions in Chop Til You Drop's case) are released.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Bitching? This thread is specifically about "best series" is it not? Your opinion is ill-applied and irrelevant in that regard.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty common sense that to be considered in a list of best series the games in question would have to have 2 or more in the series that you loved.

One good game and one bad one is not a "best series." It's one good game.

Mass Effect would have to be #1 for me, followed by BioShock.

I also have to give Saints Row some love. Despite a number of technical problems, I put a ton of hours into Saints Row 2 and had a blast. If you have a friend to play with, its co-op is unparalleled.

Rock Band. Never have I spent so much time and money on a single game (Rock Band 2) and still continue to play to this day.

Gears of War. Simply because it was one of the first games to introduce me to competitive XBox Live playing and how I learned to always have mute everyone, but friends on.

[quote name='kimbaka']Mass Effect would have to be #1 for me, followed by BioShock.

I also have to give Saints Row some love. Despite a number of technical problems, I put a ton of hours into Saints Row 2 and had a blast. If you have a friend to play with, its co-op is unparalleled.[/QUOTE]

I considered Saints Row because when SR2 came out on PS3 it really saved me from hating GTA and all clones after how much GTA IV put me off. I even went back and grabbed a copy of SR1 a couple weeks ago but I really didn't enjoy it as much as 2 (obviously hard to step back) and put that thought on the backburner because of it.

I have yet to try Mass Effect (will soon) but Gears of War never pulled me in like it was supposed to.. I think its time had passed when I got around to it. And I'll concede that VC2 isn't out yet, but I don't see it failing to at least be OK. I also like the Rock Band (although the hype is gone for me), Trauma Center and Ace Attorney mentions on this list as well. :cool:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it's pretty common sense that to be considered in a list of best series the games in question would have to have 2 or more in the series that you loved.

One good game and one bad one is not a "best series." It's one good game.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because people are rating the Uncharted series not based on Uncharted 2, Mass Effect not based on Mass Effect 2, and Bioshock not based on Bioshock 1.

I don't get why you kids are so pissed off that I'd pick Valkyria Chronicles anyway. Not generic enough for you?

don't know about you guys- but i'm looking forward to more Darksiders!

I'd say my favorite series of this generation are:
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted
Deadspace
Darksiders
Batman: AA

Does Mario Galaxy count as a new series? I mean, it's mario, but it's also a completely new set of challenges?

[quote name='DarkSageRK']
I don't get why you kids are so pissed off that I'd pick Valkyria Chronicles anyway. Not generic enough for you?[/QUOTE]

No one is saying anything bad about Valkyria Chronicles. I agree with you that it is one of the best games this gen, but it in itself is not a series yet. By definition, a series includes more than 1 game. If you want to say it is the best new IP this gen with the most potential to become a great series, that would be fine.

I don't get why you kids are so pissed off that I'd pick Valkyria Chronicles anyway. Not generic enough for you?

Are you just being stubborn or are you seriously failing to grasp the point being made? You have not played VC2, how then is it a good SERIES, much less the BEST SERIES? Imagine if tommorow IGN declared Gears of War the best game TRILOGY, you think they'd get away with that?

I'd imagine most everyone here enjoys VC, myself included. The problem is that, like so many other people on forums, you didn't read the point of the thread and just blurted out games that you like a la carte.

At the end though I suppose the day is yours because I keep seeing Batman AA, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and other games pop up so it's worthless to keep fighting this and just let the thread derail itself.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Yes, because people are rating the Uncharted series not based on Uncharted 2, Mass Effect not based on Mass Effect 2, and Bioshock not based on Bioshock 1.

I don't get why you kids are so pissed off that I'd pick Valkyria Chronicles anyway. Not generic enough for you?[/QUOTE]

The people who chose Uncharted, Mass Effect, and Bioshock most likely loved both games, so which game is the strongest link and which one is the weakest link is irrelevant. Both games being great is necessary for the series to be great. A crappy sequel does not ruin a great game, but it does prevent a series from being great.

My picks are Uncharted and Rock Band. Uncharted has 2 excellent games and Rock Band has 2 excellent games (1 & 2) and 2 great games (Unplugged & Lego).

[quote name='eastshore4']
At the end though I suppose the day is yours because I keep seeing Batman AA, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and other games pop up so it's worthless to keep fighting this and just let the thread derail itself.[/QUOTE]

I know this is just a small point, but Dead Space actually has 2 games currently out (The original Dead Space and Dead Space Extraction for the Wii), so it would be considered a series. In fact both games are great in my opinion, so I would say it is probably my second favorite new console series this gen.

bread's done
Back