Best shoes for standing all day at work?

lionheart4life

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I figured this is kind of a lifestyle topic and I'm looking for CAGs input on the best shoes to wear for work when you will be standing most of the day. I am working as a pharmacist but we are actually allowed to wear sneakers (even though a shirt and tie are required, they have mercy on our feet). Dress shoes (I have worn Dockers oxfords) are a killer even after one full day. I have worn some types of sneakers (older Adidas basketball shoes and Nike Shox) and they really didn't cut it either. I know a lot of nurses and hospital workers wear Crocs and are comfortable in them but those are probably out of the question here.

Basically what do retail store employees wear when you are on your feet 8+ hours a day that not only result in less pain to the feet but less wear on the knees, hips, ankles, etc. over time? Not really looking for a "deal" at this point but your experience and what has worked or even not worked as I'm sure this topic can apply to a lot of us.

Propet makes comfortable shoes for standing or walking. I'm on my feet for 13 hour shifts at work and have never found better shoes for the task.

pic_861691001187978218.jpg

[quote name='zionoverfire']Get good insoles, then pop them in New Balance or Asics.[/QUOTE]

I'll second NB and Asics and also vouch for Doc Martens.. I used to wear them for 13 hour shifts when I was managing a drug store. They really do last for years with little (or in my case, none) maintenance.

When I used to be a chef working 12+ hours a day I just used TredSafe working shoes from Walmart. They have a lot of variety in types from slip on to casual to dress types. Best part is that they're CHEAP (~$20ish) and are comfortable, though you may also want to buy some insoles for added protection.

DVS shoe company and a pair of insoles. Not only did I skate with them and put them through that beating. I also worked and stood on my feet 8 hours a day in a warehouse. Or Adio. I've put those through the test as well.

get some cork insoles. they mold to your feet. they are also lightweight, breathable, and very comfortable. and they can be added to your existing shoes.

[quote name='Kendro']Hands down these two shoes from Banana Republic. Be sure to get a 30% or 40% coupon as they are constantly around.

What makes them so comfortable is that they are regular leather shoes but the soles are lined with a foam so it feels like you are walking in sneakers. They come in a laces version and a loafer version.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6854&vid=1&pid=514469&scid=514469002

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6852&vid=1&pid=514513&scid=514513002[/QUOTE]

There are an awful lot of reviews on there questioning the durability of the shoes themselves, specifically in that first link.

OP, I would recommend a good pair of dr scholl's orthotics. I've got pretty good back problems and the back pain relief ones are great.

I wore Justin brand men's work boots when I had to stand a lot, and it was a vast improvement over the sneakers I was wearing.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully this is useful for others too. I didn't know that Crocs made shoes that looked like, well shoes haha.

And RedRing are those feet photoshopped or is there an actual design like that? I know there are running shoes with individual toes and all.

New Balances are great shoes. Light and very durable. I have been wearing my pair for damn near 5 years and I use it for long jogs every summer.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Get good insoles, then pop them in New Balance or Asics.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the key. Dr. Schols (sp?) has some gel inserts for work and sport that are very good and run around $12-14.

OP - what kind of shoes do they have to be? You say retail employees but that doesn't really define the level of dressiness the shoes need to have.
Sneakers:
Merrel and New Balance are the only way to go.
Casual:
Doc Martens makes casual dress shoes that with insoles will make you a happy man.
Bostonian makes a great shoe and they come in wide sizes as well if that's an issue.
Clarks make some cool styles. I've had these for a number of years and they get better with age.
http://www.schulershoes.com/Mens-Clarks-UnPacific-P1011.aspx
Dress:
Definitely Bostonian, only dress shoe brand I'll wear

Also, buy these:
http://www.schulershoes.com/Mens-Tacco-34-P5737.aspx
The first day you'll think you're being murdered from the ground up but forever after that they'll cradle your foot and protect it from all manner of horrible things.

What about those ridiculous looking Z-Coil shoes with the elevated heel? I see alot of hospital people wearing those.

for real, it's not necessarily the shoe (although I do prefer adidas superstar II's), it's all about the doctor schouls pads that go in them on the real, it really does make all the diference. I work as a chef so I am on my feet all day and on a riser. It's painful, but good luck yo!

I guess Shox didn't work out for you (they did for me until the laces broke and haven't replaced them yet), bu definitely go for Asics. They're light and padding/in soles/gel in them is amazing. I'm not sure about the low end, as I've always gotten Nimbuses/kayanos/Kinseis, however I hear great things about the GT series (moderately priced) and I've turned several people onto them. Great shoes, for walking/running or just standing on your toes all day. If you don't believe me, then they get great review all over the place, and they come highly recommended from Runner's World (if you do running). I personally was a huge fan of the nimbus 11 for its asymmetrical lacing, which they sort of pared down in later models.

bread's done
Back