Best shoes for standing forever in

varsitygamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
So, I work as a production assistant on movies and have a bad habit of absolutely RUINING my shoes by putting so much wear on them (and sweat in them). I just started a new job a couple weeks back, and it became clear to me that my sneakers had to be replaced. On the average day it's not unusual for me to stand for ~14 hours, and I need a pair of sneakers or shoes that accommodate that. Of course, I'd prefer if they were reasonably priced, but at this point I'm willing to sink my money into a more expensive pair of kicks if they're going to last me a while.

So far as brands go, a few fellow PAs have recommended Merrell. I'm totally open to other brands so long as they meet my short list of requirements:

-Padding/Cushion (like I said, standing... sometimes standing in one place... for like 14 hours)
-Breathable
-Water Resistant at least, ideally Waterproof
-Durability
-Not hideous... maybe even cool looking

Input please!

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i know someone who went to a podiatrist and got custom inserts made, said it feels like walking on a cloud[/quote]God?

You should check out one of those military surplus stores if your area has one. It's been a few years, but last time I went to one they had whole bunch of stuff that will probably fit your needs.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']God?[/quote]

zod-sticker.gif

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Converse Sneakers have been good to me[/QUOTE]
Chuck Taylor's? Those are the absolute worst to stand around in.

Skating shoes are a good choice, if you want to look dapper. If you want to look like a geriatric mall walker, then buy a pair of New Balance -- they're very comfortable.

Whatever shoe you get, get some decent insoles. I used to work in a place with concrete floors where I would be walking around all day, and my feet would be killing me before lunch. I got some insoles made for hard surfaces, I guess made mainly for people in construction, and it was worlds better.

Chucks look awesome, and are plenty comfy for a while, but they have no arch support, and they don't last too long under heavy wear.

[quote name='Brak']Chuck Taylor's? Those are the absolute worst to stand around in.

Skating shoes are a good choice, if you want to look dapper. If you want to look like a geriatric mall walker, then buy a pair of New Balance -- they're very comfortable.[/quote]

Well...to me..these are sneakers --->
P10133634.jpg

The Chucks.. I don't call them sneakers.

There is a commercial here for a shoe store that makes orthopedic shoes. They actually have one model with a giant spring in the back for the hell. So you can finally say you have a spring in your step.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']anyone recommend some good inserts, I gotta where dress shoes, so new balances are a no go[/QUOTE]

Dr. Scholl's® Massaging Gel Insoles

Are You Gellin'?

[quote name='ananag112']Dr. Scholl's® Massaging Gel Insoles

Are You Gellin'?[/quote]

not to be tellin' but i have already been Gellin' its okay nothing special

Go to a Redwing Shoes if you have them in your area. They have nursing, construction, basically standing on your feet shoes of all varieties.

Thanks for all your input guys.

These are the shoes I ultimately decided on:

New Balance 977

Waterproof, insanely comfortable, and not too ugly. I'll report back in a few days to a week and let you know how they're working out.

[quote name='st0neface']wallabees[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

I'm like on my 134th pair. Ok, more like 5th but Clarks are the bomb once they're broken in.

Monday and Tuesday were two of the longest days I've had on this project so far.

Monday - 19.5 hrs
Tuesday - 20 hrs

So over the course of two days I logged 39.5 hours (thanks brett ratner!) in the shoes... and so far I can't complain. I am still considering inserts, since my feet feel sore when standing still and it would be nice if there was more cushion... but what i like about these boot-esque shoes is that I can bust out into a flat out RUN and still feel comfortable like sneakers should. I'll report back as I break them in.

nice to hear you found something that works relatively well for you

I can't imagine standing for 20 hours every day or even most days haha

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']anyone recommend some good inserts, I gotta where dress shoes, so new balances are a no go[/quote]

OOOOOOOoooooooooooooo Look at me! I have to wear dress shoes!!!! Oooooo Fancy Scmancy!

SO you think you're better than everybody else? Huh? Do ya!?

BTW, Doc Martain boots are really great and comfy, I slang pies in those for years. Either that or Crocs, since you're on your feet forever, you can get away with wearing them, take it from Nursese and Chefs, they wear em.

bread's done
Back