Best Sub-$250 Tablet?

AnimatedSnow47

CAGiversary!
I'm considering getting a tablet, and would like to spend less than $250 if possible. Any kind that's a generally good kind is fine, but I would especially like one I could load my own video/audio files onto. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

The mainstream tablets like the Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet are fine. I personally own an Archos tablet (Archos 70) and it has superior media codec/format support compared to those (Xvid, Divx, VOB, H.264, AAC, FLAC, Ogg, etc..). Their newest ones run Honeycomb (Android 3.x) which is designed for tablets and looks a lot nicer than what you'll find on devices running gingerbread or other 2.x versions. I'm not sure if you can find one for sub $250 though

Word is that Apple is going to price the Ipad 2 to compete with Fire sometime in January, as Apple is announcing Ipad 3 (or whatever they're calling it) within the next month.

nope theres no reason for them too, apple fanbois are plenty happy forking over extra cash for the apple brand.

My brother just got a fire for christmas. I think cheapyd sums up the fire pretty well in the cagcasts. It's definitely no ipad/galaxy tab, but for 200 bucks the fire is it.

Citing sources at supply chain partners, DigiTimes reports that the two new models will join the existing iPad 2 to target entry-level, mid-range and high-end market segments. The current iPad 2 is said to compete directly with Amazon’s Kindle Fire, meaning it would represent the low-end market. This is a bit hard to believe as Apple would have to lower the price of their tablet by a significant amount. Amazon has priced the Kindle Fire at $199 while the iPad starts at $499.

I may just be a webOS fanboy, but I do love my Touchpad. It certainly does everything I want & more.
The only iOS tablet you may be able to find

I think the Fire only works with the Amazon Android store though. So if you want access to the regular Android store the Nook tablet may be more your speed.

Can't speak to them personally as I went iPad 2 as I need a bigger screen for some work related tasks (reading and marking up large PDFs etc.). Also wanted at 4:3 screen as I mainly use it in portrait orientation for reading and 16x9 screens in the tablet size ranges are way too narrow for displaying pages of documents.

[quote name='AnimatedSnow47']I'm considering getting a tablet, and would like to spend less than $250 if possible. Any kind that's a generally good kind is fine, but I would especially like one I could load my own video/audio files onto. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

You can get a manufacturer recertified Nook Color for $150 with free shipping on eBay, directly from the Barnes & Noble warehouse. They're in like new condition and come with a one year warranty no different than buying a brand new one.

Once rooted (simple process, there's guides everywhere online), it makes a nice 7" tablet with a beautiful screen. You have the option of rooting the actual device or you can run Android off of the microSD card while leaving the Nook factory software intact and able to be accessed whenever you remove the microSD card.

You could pick up a 16GB Class 10 microSD card from NewEgg and a protective case from eBay, and still keep the total amount spent under $200.

The processor isn't as fast as the newer tablets out there, but I have had absolutely zero problems with lag browsing the internet (15+ tabs in Dolphin Browser HD without issues), games (Angry Birds, etc.), image/pdf/comic viewing, or watching YouTube videos. My girlfriend uses hers as mainly an e-reader and loves the fact that being rooted allows her to have the Kindle App installed, so she can buy books from whoever has it cheaper (B&N or Amazon).

It does require a little legwork, but it's a good deal if you don't mind it.

I haven't used anything but the Kindle Fire, but for the price at $199 plus tax, for what it can do, I don't really think it can be beat.

The playbook isn't bad, but if you like apps, avoid it. It's a great device for $200, but I can't bring myself to keep it. I'm also in your position. lol. The Acer Iconia a100 isn't bad either, but it's a bit more that 250.

[quote name='doubledown']do you want 7 or 10 inches? My touchpad is just fine. You can get a Dell streak cheap[/QUOTE]

I'd prefer a larger size, but its not mandatory if price becomes too big of an issue.

[quote name='fezlopez']The best one I know in the market is called Ainol Novo 7 Advanced with Android 4.0 for less than $150 and it has good hardware. Really.

http://www.pandawill.com/ainol-novo...-tablet-pc-7-inch-8gb-1080p-black-p54556.html

Even Engadget talked about it.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/05/ainol-launches-the-novo7-the-worlds-first-android-4-0-tablet/

I bought the previous version, with Android 3.2 and so far so good. Hope that helps ya.[/QUOTE]

That video is so cheesy, but I've been reading about this tab lately.
Have you encountered any issues with running HD video or android apps?

[quote name='AnimatedSnow47']I'd prefer a larger size, but its not mandatory if price becomes too big of an issue.[/QUOTE]

For under $250 you'll pretty much be looking at 7" or under, unless you get some close out deal on a discontinued model or pricing changes a lot in the new year.

You really just need to ask yourself what you need/want to do with the tablet.

If you just want to do really basic stuff like surf the net, check e-mail, pay simple games like Angry Birds then a cheap, 7" tablet will be fine.

If you have more advanced needs, then you may need a bigger screen or more power. Like me, I needed something like the iPad as I needed a big screen for working with documents, reading PDFs of research articles, using office apps etc.

But if you only have basic needs for a tablet, then it would be a waste to spend the money for a 10" tablet right now.

I'd say your best bet is to get a Kindle Fire. One day, its warranty will expire, and the Cyanogenmod team will put Ice Cream Sandwich on it. When those two things happen, you (or one of your techie friends) should root it.

bread's done
Back