Best things to use futureshop employee discount on?

popbottlepirate

CAG Veteran
Hi everyone,

My wife just got picked-up for seasonal work at futureshop and I'm wondering what kinds of products have the lowest prices with employee discount. I think she gets store's cost plus 5%. But I know the mark-up on a lot of stuff isn't very much. So I'm wondering what kinds of items would have the biggest discount.

Thanks, eh!
PBP

[quote name='Nukkus']store brand hdmi cables are around a 90% markup.[/QUOTE]

+1
Last time my friend was getting cables, I think he said
Retail: $50+
Employee: $3

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Used games. I hear the "store cost" is the trade-in-value, so you can get pretty amazing deals.[/QUOTE]

This. I worked seasonal last year and got some really good deals. The HDMI cables are dirt cheap too.

you're not suppose to talk/discuss about this and you can get in trouble for it. plus, if corporate finds out they can terminate her discount and maybe even her employment and maybe even everyone else's discount as well. best thing to do is check for yourself what you want and have her check the price(s). by the way, this affects best buy too.

Yeah, pretty much anything from Dynex is dirt cheap - keyboards, ethernet, HDMI, you name it. You get a pretty good deal on Monster cables too if IIRC.

When I worked there any new games (including greatest hits) didn't go for very much. I think I only got two bucks off Shadow of the Colossus and Killzone 2. You might get a good deal on accessories. Stuff like movies and CDs I couldn't get much off.

If you can find a red tape television in the back then you'll definitely get a good deal on it - 3 years back I could've gotten a 46" bravia for $1200 I think. That was at Best Buy though. Also sound systems, speakers, subwoofers you get good deals on - I got around 40% off a stereo subwoofer.

All this may have changed by now. I know when I worked at either store, I'd spend alot of time scanning shit seeing if I can get a deal on it lol

monster cables...you can pick up some for yourself and some you can resell at half the retail price and still make a huge profit

also headphones

[quote name='toofeht']monster cables...you can pick up some for yourself and some you can resell at half the retail price and still make a huge profit

also headphones[/QUOTE]

Great idea, buy all the stuff you can get dirt cheap from the store you work at to resell to people so you can make more money and the store only gets 5% on it, not enough to even cover the overhead. Who cares if the store closes down and you lose your job, at least you made a few bucks by being a huge idiot. :applause::applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='toofeht']monster cables...you can pick up some for yourself and some you can resell at half the retail price and still make a huge profit

also headphones[/QUOTE]

WOW, don't listen to this moron. He must originate from RFD, methinks.
That's also called fraud.

But like others said, we get awesome staff on anything Dynex. And, used games. The only thing you can't do, is buy used games and then retrade them in for a higher value. That's also illegal and can get her fired.

its up to you if you want to buy some extras and sell them...im just saying it because i used to work at fs, i bought several because of the huge difference between retail price and cost, some were for personal use and then i bought some more at a later date which i eventually sold on ebay

[quote name='mission42']Great idea, buy all the stuff you can get dirt cheap from the store you work at to resell to people so you can make more money and the store only gets 5% on it, not enough to even cover the overhead. Who cares if the store closes down and you lose your job, at least you made a few bucks by being a huge idiot. :applause::applause::applause::applause:[/QUOTE]

I don't think OP's wife will care too much about happens to the store come January when she's out of a job anyway. I hope they can hit the store for all they can, cause sure as sugar, they'll take all they can from her while she's there.

[quote name='picklepopcorn']WOW, don't listen to this moron. He must originate from RFD, methinks.
That's also called fraud.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's not fraud. Selling something you have purchased legally, no matter what you paid for it is not fraud.

If anything, fraud is a retail store selling a $3 cable for $50.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the tips. The used games sounds like a steal. We are also looking at getting a new dishwasher at some point. so I'll get her to scan a bunch of stuff when she is at work to so what's a good deals.

PBP

[quote name='mabba18']I don't think OP's wife will care too much about happens to the store come January when she's out of a job anyway. I hope they can hit the store for all they can, cause sure as sugar, they'll take all they can from her while she's there.QUOTE]

Lol how so? By giving her a well paying job with comission and discount? Yeahhh.

[quote name='mabba18']

Yeah, that's not fraud. Selling something you have purchased legally, no matter what you paid for it is not fraud.

If anything, fraud is a retail store selling a $3 cable for $50.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure, that if you buy anything from any store with a employee discount, you had to sign something when you got hired that its for personal use only
thats the way it is at the furniture place i used to work at

edit: lol at the retail store committing fraud, wow
as a customer, you say its fraud
but if you were the CEO of futureshop/best buy, you'd sell it for $60
fact

[quote name='Pajo']I'm pretty sure, that if you buy anything from any store with a employee discount, you had to sign something when you got hired that its for personal use only

fact[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. I'd sell it for $30 and even then feel bad, but at least I'd sell more that way and beat the competitions prices.

I'm confused, you don't really care what you get, as long as it's a deal? Why don't you just use the discount for stuff you want/need?

[quote name='Pajo']I'm pretty sure, that if you buy anything from any store with a employee discount, you had to sign something when you got hired that its for personal use only

fact[/QUOTE]

The FACT is that he's not. So yeah. Your dumb logic supports this:

1) Pay some Chinese guy 1$ an hour.
2) Sell the product to a faceless, profit-driven conglomerate for 3$. Screw everything else.
3) Sell the product to an unsuspecting customer who, if he knew, would have bought the said product for 3$, yet pays 60$.
4) count the dollars!

Now this is a fact.

What you described, using the word "if", is simply hypothetical!

All retail stores make you sign something saying you are only using your employee discount to buy things for yourself, immediate family, or as a gift.

Accessories for anything (cables, controllers, memory cards, docks, etc) have massive markup. Same applies to used games as mentioned. Those are what you'll save the most money on if you're looking for them anyway.

bread's done
Back