Best tv for gaming b/w 500-1k?

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Just wondering if you all prefer plasma or 60/120/240 hz led tvs in the 500-1000 price range. I'm still with an sdtv and am looking to move soon, so a new tv is in my plans. I'd also want something >40 inches. 3d is optional. Apps would be cool(amazon, Hulu) What are your preferred brands?

Would you suggest the same tv for watching sports?

Some are going to laugh, you cant go wrong with a Vizio. Picture and Sound Quality is well above average and the pricing cannot be beat. I have 3 in my house. One is almost 5 years old and running like a champ. Another is 1 year and the other is 8 months. No issues with any of them ever.

Picture Quality is not going to match up to a Sony or name brand tv. But you aren't going to sit and compare the two tv's at the same time and nobody is going to notice the difference. Picture Quality for Blu Ray, Games and HDTV is all fantastic.

You can probably get a 42 inch 1080p Vizio on Amazon for 500 and change.

The 3d TV 42 inch is right around 600 the last time I checked.

I have read reports to buy a TV after the holidays around February is usually the best deals. It's a month after Christmas, stores are trying to make sales and they are trying to sell TV's for the Super Bowl.

If you can wait, the best time is definitely the lead up to the superbowl. Not only does that big event drive TV sales, but it's also close out time on most of the current year models. As such, unless you need a TV right now, it's not really worth providing pricing right now. I feel Plasma is the way to go. You don't need to worry about the 60/120/240 hz stuff because plasma is faster than all of those is really great with 3d. I wouldn't get a 60 hz because they have quite a bit of motion blur which makes games and sports not as good to watch.

My personal preferance is Panasonic plasmas. They have a great picture and you can find them priced in the same range as the Vizio's. I got a 50" 3d tv last year in model close out for $999 delivered to my door, I've seen 1080p 42" in the $450 range. Really depends on what you want, but I'd wait until it's sales time. For aps, do you have a wired connection close to the TV? Most of the TVs you'll have to buy a wireless dongle for that connection unless you want to go high end. Aps will come on most of the non-lowest tiered TVs.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']If you can wait, the best time is definitely the lead up to the superbowl. Not only does that big event drive TV sales, but it's also close out time on most of the current year models. As such, unless you need a TV right now, it's not really worth providing pricing right now. I feel Plasma is the way to go. You don't need to worry about the 60/120/240 hz stuff because plasma is faster than all of those is really great with 3d. I wouldn't get a 60 hz because they have quite a bit of motion blur which makes games and sports not as good to watch.

My personal preferance is Panasonic plasmas. They have a great picture and you can find them priced in the same range as the Vizio's. I got a 50" 3d tv last year in model close out for $999 delivered to my door, I've seen 1080p 42" in the $450 range. Really depends on what you want, but I'd wait until it's sales time. For aps, do you have a wired connection close to the TV? Most of the TVs you'll have to buy a wireless dongle for that connection unless you want to go high end. Aps will come on most of the non-lowest tiered TVs.[/QUOTE]

Pretty good info here.

Plasmas tend to be be more bang for the buck and can have excellent picture quality only rivaled by the best LCD sets with local dimming. They tend to be heavier and power hogs though, so that's something to keep in mind.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']That is old. Power usage with a plasma has dropped dramatically. Its like a 7-10 dollar difference in the yearly bill between a LED and a Plasma.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you cherry pick the numbers. Still double for a high-end plasma.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conte...0-Plasma-3D-HDTV-Review/Power-Consumption.htm

And it's more than just being double the power if you don't care about the $19 a year. You should still be concerned about the rating, just as you would with a car. (i.e. what is the MPG AND what will it cost per year to run?). A plasma TV can hit the power usage of a gaming desktop computer at peak usage and sometimes that requires special considerations for plugging it into the outlet if you have older wiring or that outlet heavily loaded, for instance.

It's not insignificant and remains a figure of merit in addition to weight and heat output.

Still, I prefer plasma due to more image quality per dollar.

Yah, I'd probably go with the 500 b/w instead of the 1000 dollar one. Black and White TVs are likely to be half the price they are on Black Friday.

Malarchy, I have the 58 vt25 and after calibration it draws average of 73 and a half watts. Now to be fair my 47 ex720 only pulls 27 watts but it's edge lit only.

bread's done
Back