Best Verizon cheapo/free phone

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've decided based on network to go with Verizon despite not having the best selection of compatible phones. Right now I'm thinking about doing the RAZR V3m (free AR at Amazon currently) like every other soul has on this planet. I've read some reviews on it and although it doesn't seem like a stellar phone it seems like one of the better cheapo/free ones they offer...

Any CAGs out there with Verizon want to recommend a lesser known phone? Or warn against the RAZR? Also anybody know if the RAZR will play Xvid and Divx files. Under the descriptions of it all I can find is that it plays MPEG4 videos which is a bit vague. Thanks for any help or advice!

I don't have Verizon, but I do have a Razr. The biggest problem I've had with it is dust behind the screen. It's got 2 slots right by the screen(for speakerphone, I think) and dust has a tendency to get behind that.

Other than that, when I've used up some of the memory, the camera might not take a picture. That usually fixes after just a couple tries, opening/closing the phone, or restarting it.

I like mine, but I definately would have felt ripped off if I paid more than the 50 I did.

I just have the normal ol' V3 though, so I dunno if the V3M has any of those problems.

It's been my experience that the RAZR's total garbage. Everyone I know that has one hates it. Plus, if the drop the thing once it's gone. I renewed my plan with the recently and got the Motorola E815, even though it's huge it seems like a good phone so far. Nothing beats my old Samsung A630, that thing wouldn't die no matter how badly I abused it!

I have a RAZR, but the only reason I got it was because it was either that, or some POS LG fone. I know of 3 people that have it and have something happen to it after a month or so with it. 2 of them dropped it ONCE, and the screen is now filled up with that black liquid whatever crap. The other one didn't drop it, but after just regular use the hinge on one of the sides broke. And there's a shitload of dust behind the screen. Mines still in great condition though, I got a case off Amazon, and I would suggest doing the same. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...01-1784767?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=15684181
That's not the one I got, but after a quick search I couldn't find the one I have, same idea but a different maker. It's held up great, no problems with it. The only one "problem" if you wanna even call it that, is you have to open it every couple weeks if dust between the case and fone bothers you, and just wipe it clean then reattach it.

cool thanks for the advice guys. I especially like that $2 plastic cover from amazon. thanks Renegade_Zero, seems like a must with the RAZR! I'm pretty good to my gadgets but everyone drops things once in a while.

Anyone have any experience with the A850? It's actually $50-$200 = -$150AR! No Bluetooth unfortunately, which is the one feature I'd really like.

Other deals I'm considering:
The E815 is $200-$225 = -$25AR. (I'll look into this, thanks Blues)
Nokia 6236i is $100-$200=-$100.
Samsung A950 is $200-$200=$0AR.
The LG VX8300 is $200-$200=$0AR, for what it's worth this is the highest rated phone on CNET, although CNET reviews suck.

long time verizon user here.....

after my t730 died, i bought the e815....

the e815, as it happens, has the strongest 'radio' (dunno exactly what they call it) in other words, it has the best reception out of all verizon phones... the only problem with it is that its all digital (no analog network coverage). now i live in ny and that wasnt a problem for me since ny is all digital, but it may be for you....

after a while having the e815 with no problems, i had to upgrade my plan and sign anoter contract, since i only had 400 min while they were giving away 700 minutes for the same price, so i decided to get a razr, since it was only $10 out of pocket......

i hate the verizon gui.....u know, the red bars......horrible IMO
i miss the reception i used to get from my e815, but at the same time i love the form factor of the razr
i havent had any problems with the razr yet, although if you buy insurance you shouldnt be worried about any problems

all in all, if you dont mind the size/form factor of the e815, get it
if you prefer the verizon gui, or you want a smaller phone, get the razr

btw, i have my e815 and have the option to switch back to it whenever, so dont think that i chose the razr over the e815, because i probable wouldn'tve

I love the E815. It's what i have now, and it can do anything. I used some program (cant remember what) and converted several episodes of Arrested Development and put them on the transflash card on my phone.

I dont use Verizon any more but my last 2 phones(over 4 years) were samsung. Samsung phones will not break and will definately last you the 2 years(bar losing it or someone spilling beer on it). My phones had been dropped numerous times and both lasted the contracts with only scratches for wear.

Thanks again for everyones' advice. I'm tempted by that A850 at -$150AR or the RAZR V3m for $0AR depending on how much of a cheapass I want to be. The A850 is very short of special but you basically get your first 4 months of service paid for! The V3m doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone thinks it is. It's not perfect but it seems vastly improved over previous RAZR phones (i.e. expandable memory, sync w/ outlook, mp3 playback). the differences in functionality between it and the E815 and LG VX8300 seem to be miniscule. I love the idea of listening to the CAG podcast on the go through a wireless bluetooth earpiece! but the A850 seems to do everything it needs to and is dirt cheap. Not too much written up about it though unfortunately.
http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/jump.php?m=amazon&id=B000BO75KI

So to any of you who dislike the RAZR have you tried the new V3m model? It seems like they repaired a good amount of what was wrong with the previous models. I don't think I would have liked the V3c either. Does anyone know if it cost money to switch between phones (damn you CDMA!)? If not....

....well here's my cheap ass plan: Get the Samsung A850... at -$150AR. If I don't like it buy the e815 ($150) or the RAZR V3m ($170). This would be $20-25 more expensive than if I bought the RAZR or e815 with the initial plan, but this way I have a sturdy backup. Chances are I'll be totally happy with the slim featured A850 though, because I already have a PDA/digital camera/DS lite that do everything better than these other phones would do. Also a wired headset is good enough to talk while I'm cooking, walking the dog, laying down, and of course playing videogames. Speaker phone is probably good enough too in a pinch.

Seriously $150 is well on my way to purchasing a wii. I've got to have some priorities here! ;)

I will be switching to verizon next month...so it appears the e815 is the phone to get? I noticed someone mentioned it only gets digital connection. I drive up northeast coast...deleware up to maine to visit family. Will this cause any problems?

[quote name='ryanbph']I will be switching to verizon next month...so it appears the e815 is the phone to get? I noticed someone mentioned it only gets digital connection. I drive up northeast coast...deleware up to maine to visit family. Will this cause any problems?[/quote]

imo, Verizon is the best service in the northeast.

i got a LG VX5200 from Verizon. its nothing incredibly fancy with an mp3 player, but it gets the job done. i think if you sign up for Verizon, you can get this phone for free. its durable (well...i dont drop my phone), stylish, and has a camera for all your camera phone whoring needs!

The samsung a990 looks good, but the reviews are mixed.. It hits the stores next week, but i can't renew my contract til the following week after its release :( There is currently a revision in the works so I might as well wait til my october time frame to upgrade for the revision or something better to hit.

after some deliberation I went with the e815 over the razor awhile back...I LOVE the e815, its even more amazing after a few cell phone hacks/seem edits.

[quote name='x_fiddle']after some deliberation I went with the e815 over the razor awhile back...I LOVE the e815, its even more amazing after a few cell phone hacks/seem edits.[/quote]

oh snap! do tell!

Like I said I went with the A850 at -$150AR. But at that price I could always switch to a nicer phone with the money I saved. What are the hacks/seem edits?

bread's done
Back