Best Video Game Controller Ever

Best all round - Game Boy Color (you can even play games on it!)

Best console - Wavebird. Excellent analog stick, great layout and feel. And, it's wireless.

2nd - SNES
3rd - Xbox S

The SNES controller was great for its time. The other day though, I was playing Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES and my hands started hurting about 15 minutes after I started playing. I have big hands (I can easily palm a basketball), but find most "small controllers" comfortable. I used to think the SNES controller was best, but now I don't know.

[quote name='CheapyD']Name 'em without cheating.

basticks.jpg

joy.jpg
[/quote]

Nobody has named 'em yet...and yes I had/have both of these systems.

[quote name='JimmieMac']The second one is from TI-99 4/A

First ones, not sure but it might be some Sears game system.[/quote]

Yes, you got the second one right....but are incorrect on the first one.

Side note. I had one of those TI-99's and man did that controller suck. There was no comfortable way to hold it. And the button, the button was sent by the devil to ruin my patience.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Side note. I had one of those TI-99's and man did that controller suck. There was no comfortable way to hold it. And the button, the button was sent by the devil to ruin my patience.[/quote]

Yeah, but the speech synthesizer was so money.

ti99_syn.jpg

I've got a MAS prostick for my cube & PS2/1. That is the baddest joystick I've ever seen. Just like having an arcade at home. For a pad though I have to go with the wavebird. Fits perfectly in your hand. Doesn't have any rumble to numb your hands and it's wireless. If only the buttons were a little more equally distributed.

Cheapy, are the first controllers from the Astrocade system? A friend of mine swears he played Gun Fight with something like those. I wasn't playing video games till Gun Smoke was around, so damned if I know.

Good job JimmieMac on nailing the 2nd ones.

I've pissed away most of the afternoon looking at TI-99 4/A fan sites.

Yes, the intarweb holds the key to all of life's unasked questions.

Now, back to finding out the all time high score on the game "Alpiner"

[quote name='Doylerulez']Cheapy, are the first controllers from the Astrocade system? A friend of mine swears he played Gun Fight with something like those. I wasn't playing video games till Gun Smoke was around, so damned if I know.

Good job JimmieMac on nailing the 2nd ones.[/quote]

Yes, we have a winner!

I think (hope) I still have my Bally Astrocade in my parents attic.

[quote name='JimmieMac']I've pissed away most of the afternoon looking at TI-99 4/A fan sites.

Yes, the intarweb holds the key to all of life's unasked questions.

Now, back to finding out the all time high score on the game "Alpiner"[/quote]

Onward and upward! ;)

[quote name='sandwiches99']Other not so great controllers:
Dreamcast - VMU functionality was very innovative and cool, but damn those controllers were ugly.
N64 - Control stick became loose way too easily, and also another ugly and uncomfortable controller.[/quote]

Didn't know this was a beauty contest...
I'm curious how you can like the Xbox S controller but not like the Dreamcast controller. I find them to be almost identical, except the S controller has really awkwardly placed start/back and black/white buttons...

My favorite right now would probably be the 'cube controller. A close second would be the xbox controller S/dreamcast.

I'd have to say for 'best controller' it would have to be steel battalion's controller, hands down. For 'best standard controller' I'd say dual-shock.

[quote name='"CheapyD"'][quote name='Doylerulez']Cheapy, are the first controllers from the Astrocade system? A friend of mine swears he played Gun Fight with something like those. I wasn't playing video games till Gun Smoke was around, so damned if I know.

Good job JimmieMac on nailing the 2nd ones.[/quote]

Yes, we have a winner!

I think (hope) I still have my Bally Astrocade in my parents attic.

Wasn't the astrocade controller used in the movie vacation? when the griswolds were looking at the trip plan 'on the ol' computer'? Remember it was weird cause they were playing pacman and 'a space ship' vs the family cruiser. Rusty had a regular atari stick didn't he? and audry had the other one?

xbox s is great

gamecube controller is only good for first party games. I tried playing madden on that and its just clunky. That dpad is way too tiny the one on the sp actually seems easier to use for me.

The ps2 controller is sort of like the xbox controller. Not in feel or looks but theway it came about.

When the ps1 released did anyone notice that it looked exactly like a snes controller stacked with handles popping out.

Then the n64 comes out and looky here the dual analog sticks are added to the controller. Next the rumble pack. Then the dual shock is born.

Because of this imho the ps2 controller is the least comfortable of all current systems. When you keep building on soft foundation the building eventually tips over.

I Play most of my games with the SNES controller... NES, SNES, heck, even some PS games.

Dual shock would win me over if not for the lousy D-Pad.

And, yes, the SNES shoulder buttons do tend to break. I've run across at least 5 or 6 with a broken shoulder button. If yours are still intact after years of use, perhaps you aren't GAMING to dee MAX!!, errr, or something.

As much as I love the Wavebird, Dual Shock 2 wins out for me. No Gamecube controller is confortable for sports.

Best Controller Ever Are

Ps2 Controller
Gamecube Controller
SuperNintendo Controller
Nes Controller
XBOX and DREAMCAST are tied for the worst controller by far

i used to sort of feel like the SNES controller was a bit too light.
But it was pretty solid.

I enjoyed the DC controller, and the PS2 controller the most.

Wavebird as far as comfort, both in design and lack of wire. N64 (without the d-pad prong) was one of the most comfortable controllers ever made...when used right (Mario 64:yes, any fighter:no)

bread's done
Back